• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

shankar

International Debutant
No it's not about that one incident at all.

And yes, there are other incidents. I saw two live this past summer on the same day, in fact.
The entire crowd going silent when opposition gets a boundary or wicket is very common especially in the small town venues. But I've rarely seen crowds not acknowledging milestones if they know about it or booing opposition.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Or the hundred he made two tours ago...

It is, as wellAlbi said, the context we are talking about. By Shri's logic Dravid ought to have been booed off here this Summer because he did **** all. Laxman too. Let alone Sehwag - he was beyond woeful.

The point which was originally made was about a failure to acknowledge the achievements of opposing players. It shows a lack of class imo, not to acknowledge them. I don't like it when my own team fails to clap an opponent's hundred, and I don't like it when supporters don't either.
Afaic, if the opposition crowd cheers for you, you have not done your job properly.

Satguru

Banned
Afaic, if the opposition crowd cheers for you, you have not done your job properly.
Ridiculous on so many levels :laugh:
I guess this mentality is what we Indians have when an opposition batsman scores a hundred... "Oh we must not appreciate them... they cant get the satisfaction of doing their job well"

@topic

People slagging off Sehwag and Mahela for not performing overseas in swinging conditions, but not doing the same for Sangakkara even though he too has a poor overseas record really bothers me. Sanga is great and all, but if Sehwag and Mahela are FTBs or HTBs or whatever, then how is Sanga any different?

I guess it may be because he's played the odd outstanding innings overseas... like the recent hundreds in SA, England and the absolutely awesome 192 against Australia... one of the best hundreds ever by a visiting batsman in OZ, imo...which shows that he CAN bat overseas, but overall he's done very little of note outside SC.

Again, i love Sanga, i think he's one of the best batsmen of the generation... i just hate when people have double standards.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ridiculous on so many levels :laugh:
I guess this mentality is what we Indians have when an opposition batsman scores a hundred... "Oh we must not appreciate them... they cant get the satisfaction of doing their job well"
Could be used as a weapon if used intelligently. Imagine a bowler/batsman toiling for days in an Indian summer huffing and puffing his way to a 100/5 fer. Then we start to boo them, ****s will go mental and might make our job easier.

Satguru

Banned
Could be used as a weapon if used intelligently. Imagine a bowler/batsman toiling for days in an Indian summer huffing and puffing his way to a 100/5 fer. Then we start to boo them, ****s will go mental and might make our job easier.
Nah, wouldnt recommend that, if anything theyll inspire the opposition and fire them up to bat well... on the other hand if theyre 100/5 and we start clapping their boundaries, or maybe even quick singles or something, they might be surprised enough to lose their concentration... :laugh:think the indian team needs as much help from the crowd as they can get, and this might be something to think about

Thats not the point anyway though... in that situation, theres nothing wrong with booing the opposition... i just find it reprehensible when you dont appreciate when an opposition player does well. Thats why i had a problem with people booing Ponting at the presentation in Ahmedabad. We'd already won the match and we booed a guy who had given it his all for his country in what proved to be his final WC game... uncalled for and disrespectful.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thanks for the insight into professional sportsmen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Different crowds have different characteristics thats all. You ****s are all reading too much into it. If I have payed almost a months' salary to be at the ground for a game, I will damn well do whatever the **** I feel like doing. My cousin specifically went to a KKR vs CSK game in the first IPL season to boo Ponting, he didn't care about the result. If thats what a paying fan wants to do, who the **** are you ****s to question him? Get the **** off your high horses.
Your friend sounds like a **** tbh, as do you if you think just because you've paid for a ticket you can do whatever you want, even if it's making the game more unpleasant for everyone else involved.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Your friend sounds like a **** tbh, as do you if you think just because you've paid for a ticket you can do whatever you want, even if it's making the game more unpleasant for everyone else involved.
*cousin.

I don't spend half my month's pay to make your day princess. Its what I enjoy doing and you can call me a **** but you are gonna have to live with it. Hey what else can anyone do?

Howe_zat

Audio File
*cousin.

I don't spend half my month's pay to make your day princess. Its what I enjoy doing and you can call me a **** but you are gonna have to live with it. Hey what else can anyone do?
So why make the post to object to him calling your cousin a ****? Just a tip - If you're going to try and act cool and aloof to what everyone thinks about you, it rather spoils the image when you shriek about how cool you are to anyone who crosses the idea.

bagapath

International Captain
Sounds to me you that you have no idea that Bagapath was using a little bit of licence there.
Thanks burgey. It was a rhetorical question and the answer was supposed to be "no".

But on second thoughts I really want to slap all those guys who want to spend a month's salary on a cricket match ticket so that they can make some noise. My city, Shri's too, is full of such idiots.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Or maybe you've done it too well.

Do you know what it means to make someone like me give Ponting a standing ovation following a day of binge drinking where England got out for 102 and were 100 behind in no time?

Shri

Mr. Glass
So why make the post to object to him calling your cousin a ****? Just a tip - If you're going to try and act cool and aloof to what everyone thinks about you, it rather spoils the image when you shriek about how cool you are to anyone who crosses the idea.
Gonna use a Weapon of Mass Forum Destruction on you.:cry:

*Runs back to cricsim*

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Or the hundred he made two tours ago...

It is, as wellAlbi said, the context we are talking about. By Shri's logic Dravid ought to have been booed off here this Summer because he did **** all. Laxman too. Let alone Sehwag - he was beyond woeful.

The point which was originally made was about a failure to acknowledge the achievements of opposing players. It shows a lack of class imo, not to acknowledge them. I don't like it when my own team fails to clap an opponent's hundred, and I don't like it when supporters don't either.
Jordan's last game was in Philadelphia and he got a rousing farewell. His name was chanted throughout. Sort of annoyed me but I understood that, kind of. And I probably would have joined. But if it was just a normal game and he scored 60 on us? No Way.

That doesnt mean I don't recognize or appreciate Jordan's skill or ability. But that's not the place to do it. Home field ffs.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
That doesnt mean I don't recognize or appreciate Jordan's skill or ability. But that's not the place to do it. Home field ffs.
Again, context is key here. You wouldn't do it in a basketball game where home court means a lot. If anything, you want to make the place seem hostile to the opposing team. Us Bulls fans do it quite well. But when you're talking cricket, it usually means you're host to a team that will be staying in your country for a while, and their home field isn't two hours away. Nothing wrong with showing a little acknowledgement when despite your boos and chants and playing in a foreign ground the opposing batsman scores a rugged century.

P.S: I remember watching that game live, it was a pretty amazing thing to see. I remember Larry Brown saying before the game that he wished MJ would get a 100 against his team. Of course that might just have been a job application...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
One thing that grinds my gears big time is the use of the term "stats" in pejorative sense. Stats are facts ffs. Yes there is context to stats, feel free to point out the context but to argue against stats based on hearsay aka expert opinion is like trying to disprove evolution using quotes from religious books.