• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can grab myself "The Twelfth man"?

Sounds like a right pile of fun...
even my mates who arent cricket fans love all that stuff. It is quite a common occurance that we start talking in a Bill Lawry/Billy Birmingham fashion just at random :D

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After having to listen to the ABC's radio coverage due to no Fox Sports I've had a re-think and thought I better list my worst c ommentators again:

1. Jim Maxwell
2. Jim Maxwell
3. Jim Maxwell

.........and so on.

If being 'knowledgable about the game' includes shouting 'Out' before having to add 'no it's gone away for 4'; making up words for certain shots etc when there's already terminology in place that eveyone understands; and saying things like 'a french cut, they practice that shot in the nets' then Jimmy must be the most knowledgable man in cricket...........or he could just be an absolute goose.

Then we have the time he spends trying to convince us that a lot of people actually turn the sound down on the TV and listen solely to him.......

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
when Tony Greig and Bill Lawry get really up for it and something great is happening they are perhaps the best in the world...I'll never forget 'that' last over in the '99 world cup with Bill Lawry commentating the tie.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
KennyD said:
Mr Wright mentioned kerry o`keefe,and im inclined to agree

merherherher mermerher mermerher

an imitation of that ilarious insane giggle of his
Bronchated Hyena.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
i forgot to say this before, but Kerry Okeefe says some pretty damn funny things though...

burr

State Vice-Captain
worst comm.

Glenn Mitchell. He has no feel for the game - its subtleties and nuances. He relies solely on facts and figures. How I miss Tim Lane.

Plus I recon’ he's a conservative voter.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
The worst commentator I ever heard was Jeff Thomson during the 2001 Ashes series in England - I can't remember what UK network it was for (Botham was on as well), but we got it on Ch9 over here. I really hope he covers '05 (chances probably aren't high though), because I laughed all through the series. He was spectacularly dreadful.
When I last heard Thomson commentate he irritated me to death (well, not to death obviously) by saying "too, as well" all the time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know there are those who are his big fans and he is not one of the worse students of the game but he has to be the worst specimen let loose on the cricketing public...Navjot Singh Sidhu :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I know there are those who are his big fans and he is not one of the worse students of the game but he has to be the worst specimen let loose on the cricketing public...Navjot Singh Sidhu :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:
I find Sidhu amusing, but I haven't heard much of his commentary. I can see how he might become annoying after a while.

Sanjay Manjrekar has really made an impression during the Ind-Aus coverage. A nice line in wry humour and very knowledgeable.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
garage flower said:
I find Sidhu amusing, but I haven't heard much of his commentary. I can see how he might become annoying after a while.

Sanjay Manjrekar has really made an impression during the Ind-Aus coverage. A nice line in wry humour and very knowledgeable.
Sidhu had me in stiches when India toured New Zealand. :D

Deja moo

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Sidhu had me in stiches when India toured New Zealand. :D

You must have heard him just that one series.

He was terrific when he came in first , but the novelty wears off , and hearing him repeat himself (mostly) series after series is tiresome . Not that he was a bad commentator , just that its just too much energy for ones liking .