• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Best Commentator

Loony BoB

International Captain
Just carrying on from another thread - All time and current, who were/are the best commentators in the world?

I can't say I'm old enough to talk on the history stage, but I'd say Coney has been my favourite over the 5+ years I've been listening to NZ games. Haven't been excited by anyone on the English side of things (or the Windies), although Botham does come up with some interesting conversations every now and then, I'll give him that. Oh, and the dude who does all the interviews isn't that bad. He's probably world famous but I'm not very good with remembering names unless it's someone on the field.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
All-time, my 3 favourites in order of preference:

1. John Arlott
2. Brian Johnston
3. Aggers.

PY

International Coach
Didn't have the pleasure of listening to Arlott but from all accounts, him and Johnston were outstanding.

I have to agree with you Loony about Coney, I have been mightily impressed with him so far but technically he isn't a commentator. He is just an analyser as he doesn't actually commentate. :p

I'd go for Aggers, Bannister (when he was BBC, not TalkSport) and Martin-Jenkins. I avoid the Sky commentary like the plague as it is commercial and they have to be outrageous it seems to try and up the ratings.

tooextracool

International Coach
bill lawry....hes the most exciting commentator i've ever heard:p
his commentary during that donald, klusener incident in the wc = classic

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
bill lawry....hes the most exciting commentator i've ever heard:p
his commentary during that donald, klusener incident in the wc = classic
I thought that was one of his pigeons doing the commentary

masterblaster

International Captain
Currently its Jonathan Agnew, he is simply brilliant.

Others include Harsha Bhogle, Sanjay Manjrekar (who is a very fine, yet underrated commentator), Tony Grieg, Ian Chapple (he goes into things into very fine detail) and Richie Benaud.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Currently its Jonathan Agnew, he is simply brilliant.

Others include Harsha Bhogle, Sanjay Manjrekar (who is a very fine, yet underrated commentator), Tony Grieg, Ian Chapple (he goes into things into very fine detail) and Richie Benaud.
Sanjay Manjrekar's currently covering the Bangladesh tour of the West Indies, I believe - and he is a quite excellent commentator, the perfect foil to Tony Cozier.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Coney
Tony Greig
Bill lawry
Richie Benaud

To be a good commentator u have to have good knowladge of BOTH teams playing.. and not to make to many assumptions.

Also have good humor (The only humor i have heard from the current test was this morning with martin crowe talking about the kiwis lol)

The current english sky team we are listening to here in nz (its the only one we can get here) to me is RUBBISH.. ian and the host guy seem to know what they r on about.. but the other ones have no idea.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arlott, Johnston and Benaud from the old lot.

Boycott, Agnew and Greg Chappell from current lot.

Sudeep

International Captain
All-time: Richie Benaud, John Arlott

Current: Harsha Bhogle, Geoffrey Boycott

Others I like to listen to: Bill Lawry, Sanjay Manjrekar, John Dykes (ESPN Star WC99 presenter), Tony Grieg and Ian Chappell.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
All time fave - Jonathon Agnew - Friendly yet opinionated, amazingly clear, mellow yet assertive chatter.. Wonderful bloke he could commentate all day in my book... After AAD he is my most admired cricketing person...

Honourable Mentions
Graeme "Foxy" Fowler - Shame he only does county cricket, excellent comm
Kerry O'Keefe - This guy was a legend during long ashes nights.
Geoffery Boycott - 'Es bowlin' absolute crap, give my granny 't ball...
Imraan Munschi, Pat Symcox - SABC guys

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Jim Maxwell
Brian Johnstone
Richie Benaud (although I beleive he is in decline)

Honourable mentions:
Kerry O'Keefe & Harsha Bhogle (especially when commentating together)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I love ol Lawry. His pure excitement gets me going every time. Love him to bits.