• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
But again he wasn't facing the bowling of Marshall, holding. etc Not that others weren't good either
but again he didnt get to bat on these flat 5 runs an over pitches either.

Swervy

International Captain
the thing with Richards is that he never appeared to have any weakness, and if he did it never showed. Like no other batsman i have ever seen, he could destroy a bowler no matter how well that bowler was bowling. I have never seen anyone pick up the flight of a ball as well as Richards,and never seen anyone appear to have has much time as he did. And that swagger of his when he came in to bat was brilliant.

I can only remember one time when he seemed rattled and that was in 1981 vs Australia,he got out very early and WI were about 3 down for 10 and he looked like he had seen a ghost, so shocked by the ball (maybe by Lillee) that got him out.Without a doubt the best batsman of the last 4 decades

Tendulkar can be exposed ,so much so that at the moment he is almost looking like a weak link in the Indian batting line up. I am afraid he doesnt come close to Richards as far as I am concerned when it comes to style, power and pure entertainment

twctopcat

International Regular
Swervy said:
the thing with Richards is that he never appeared to have any weakness, and if he did it never showed. Like no other batsman i have ever seen, he could destroy a bowler no matter how well that bowler was bowling. I have never seen anyone pick up the flight of a ball as well as Richards,and never seen anyone appear to have has much time as he did. And that swagger of his when he came in to bat was brilliant.

I can only remember one time when he seemed rattled and that was in 1981 vs Australia,he got out very early and WI were about 3 down for 10 and he looked like he had seen a ghost, so shocked by the ball (maybe by Lillee) that got him out.Without a doubt the best batsman of the last 4 decades

Tendulkar can be exposed ,so much so that at the moment he is almost looking like a weak link in the Indian batting line up. I am afraid he doesnt come close to Richards as far as I am concerned when it comes to style, power and pure entertainment
Well put. :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:

forget it....there are too many people here who havent seen richards play and will come up with arguments like "but tendulkar averages more than him".
using that argument so is andy flower!

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
forget it....there are too many people here who havent seen richards play and will come up with arguments like "but tendulkar averages more than him".
using that argument so is andy flower!
its unfortunate that Tendulkar never got to play against a full strength WI bowling attack with the likes of Marshall etc...he may do ok vs Shoaib etc, but vs Marshall(at his best),Ambrose (in his prime)Walsh,Bishop etc i think he would have been shown up a bit (like most batsmen were)

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:

You can't really compare Viv and Sachin because they never played together in the same conditions. Yet he probably get's in the top five ahead of Sachin IMO.

But re what you think of Sachin, it's just a load of bull. Weak link in the batting?! He's just having a lean patch for sometime now, by his standards, just like Brian Lara had a few years ago. Sachin has his own style and is still hugely entertaining to watch.

cbuts

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
I know Bradman, Richards, Botham, Sobers. Before joining these forums, I'd never heard of Lloyd, Laker and Hobbs (although Hobbs did sound vaguely familiar when I first heard it). I probably started following cricket in NZ at around '96, too. England cricket doesn't get much coverage at all over in NZ, at least it never reached me. You're generally lucky if a younger cricket-follower in NZ knows anyone pre1980's, NZ or not! I learn from here and from CricInfo, but don't expect me to go through old news. :) Just threads and columns slowly build the knowledge, for me.
most kiwi cricketers around my age, 19, that i nkow have an impressive knowledge of cricket history. thers plenty of cricekt history on sky tv, books and the net. english cricket may not get much coverage over here, but hobbs is one of the greats and been plenty on tv about him

cbuts

International Debutant
id have hadlee in there. 436 wickets in 86 tests. compared to devs 437 in 166 tests. walshes 519 in 130ish?? still holds the record for most 10 wicket bags. hadlee is fast bowling as bradman is batting

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
its unfortunate that Tendulkar never got to play against a full strength WI bowling attack with the likes of Marshall etc...he may do ok vs Shoaib etc, but vs Marshall(at his best),Ambrose (in his prime)Walsh,Bishop etc i think he would have been shown up a bit (like most batsmen were)
Tendulkar has played above average attacks like the aussie attack of 1990's and even ambrose and walsh though not in their primes. He's played the two W's through their primes. And we all know how well he did against the aussie attack of McGrath, Fleming, Reiffel, Gillespie, Warne (one of the top 5 8-) ) etc... nobody knows how he would've played the WI attack but I would back him to do well. He's a genius.

Sehwag309

Banned
TDCC Young Guns said:
id have hadlee in there. 436 wickets in 86 tests. compared to devs 437 in 166 tests. walshes 519 in 130ish?? still holds the record for most 10 wicket bags. hadlee is fast bowling as bradman is batting
Hadlee 431 wickets in 86
Kapil 434 wickets in 131
Walsh 519 wickets in 132

tooextracool

International Coach
chicane said:
even ambrose and walsh though not in their primes.
how does that refute the argument?

chicane said:
He's played the two W's through their primes..
if you want to count waqar's debut series as his prime......the 2Ws prime was between 90-94 during which tendulkar never played them

chicane said:
nobody knows how he would've played the WI attack but I would back him to do well. He's a genius.
ok im convinced!

tooextracool

International Coach
TDCC Young Guns said:
there is not even one fast bowler on that list....and marshall and lillee are rated above richard hadlee.

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
You can't really compare Viv and Sachin because they never played together in the same conditions. Yet he probably get's in the top five ahead of Sachin IMO.

But re what you think of Sachin, it's just a load of bull. Weak link in the batting?! He's just having a lean patch for sometime now, by his standards, just like Brian Lara had a few years ago. Sachin has his own style and is still hugely entertaining to watch.
erm...well get a fast bowler to get the ball about hip high out a foot outside off stump and Tendulkar is vunerable...especially when the ball is bowled by a left armer.

I can compare Richards to Tendulkar despite the fact they never played against each other etc....coz i saw Richards bat,and if you saw richards bat you wouldnt be able to deny that he was a level above Tendulkar.

Richards could make bowlers like Lillee,Thomson,Bedi,Snow,Willis,Underwood,Imran Khan,Botham,Hadlee,Akram,Qadir etc look average (and remember back then it was a tad more bowler friendly) in all types of conditions away and at home.

Tendulkar has tended to score his runs against weaker attacks, in fact I would go so far as to say he scored a test century vs a world class attack for the first time in 1997 (vs SA Donald and Pollock, that was his 15th century)...his next one was vs Akram, Waqar a couple of years later....so in his first 20 test centuries,he scored two hundreds vs really good attacks...suggests some sort of vunerablity to great bowling....a vunerabilty that Richards never showed.

Dont get me wrong Tendulkar is a great batsman, but he may have benefitted from the times he has played test cricket in.

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
erm...well get a fast bowler to get the ball about hip high out a foot outside off stump and Tendulkar is vunerable...especially when the ball is bowled by a left armer.

I can compare Richards to Tendulkar despite the fact they never played against each other etc....coz i saw Richards bat,and if you saw richards bat you wouldnt be able to deny that he was a level above Tendulkar.

Richards could make bowlers like Lillee,Thomson,Bedi,Snow,Willis,Underwood,Imran Khan,Botham,Hadlee,Akram,Qadir etc look average (and remember back then it was a tad more bowler friendly) in all types of conditions away and at home.

Tendulkar has tended to score his runs against weaker attacks, in fact I would go so far as to say he scored a test century vs a world class attack for the first time in 1997 (vs SA Donald and Pollock, that was his 15th century)...his next one was vs Akram, Waqar a couple of years later....so in his first 20 test centuries,he scored two hundreds vs really good attacks...suggests some sort of vunerablity to great bowling....a vunerabilty that Richards never showed.

Dont get me wrong Tendulkar is a great batsman, but he may have benefitted from the times he has played test cricket in.
just wondering but where were you around the time when the thread "is tendulkar a choker" was in full flow?

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
just wondering but where were you around the time when the thread "is tendulkar a choker" was in full flow?

i dont think Tendulkar is a choker though... :D ...i do think that India have had batsman just as good as Tendulkar though (gavaskar) and even better,(I think Dravid may well be looked back at in a few years time as Indias best ever batsman)

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
i dont think Tendulkar is a choker though... :D ...i do think that India have had batsman just as good as Tendulkar though (gavaskar) and even better,(I think Dravid may well be looked back at in a few years time as Indias best ever batsman)
disagree with the first part but totally with you on the 2nd

Sehwag309

Banned
tooextracool said:
:D , He had so much to say about tendulkar, he choked himself

Peace Swervy 8-)

shankar

International Debutant
Swervy said:

Tendulkar at his peak does not have a weakness. He occasionaly got bowled through the gate. But that was only when he was driving on the up and no bowler was able to exploit it consistently. But for the last year or so he's had some problems. He's shuffling too much, his head's not still and he's not sure of his off-stump. This is why he's been looking ordinary. But this is a temporary phase. I believe he just needs some time to sort his batting out before he goes back to his glorious best.

a massive zebra

International Captain
TDCC Young Guns said:
The stats are all wrong. Hadlee 431 in 86, Dev 434 in 134, Walsh 519 in 132. Hadlee does not hold the record for most 10 wicket bags, Murali does. I agree with you that he should be rated as one of the very best, above Lillee IMO (especially if you also take into account their batting), but I think Marshall is the best fast bowler ever and Hadlee was hardly the Bradman of fast bowling. The Bradman of fast bowling would be 40% better than the next best. He is not.