• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

biased indian

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Well Boycott ended up having a lower career ODI batting strike rate than Gavaskar.

Boycott's ODI Batting SR: 53.56
Gavaskar's ODI Batting SR: 62.26

Though when Boycott hit his one and only ODI century (11th December 1979 against Australia at the SCG), he scored 105 off just 124 balls, very quick by his standards.
Gavaskar scored his only century in his second last game aganist NZ

and that century was scored at an incredible rate

103* in 88 balls with 10 4's and 3 6's

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
But on the flip side, he never played in such bat-friendly conditions (15 over rule etc.)
Cricket wasn't this competitive either. There were hardly any good fielding sides.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
SRT is such a choker though! ;)
absolutely!!! in fact, india collapses because of sachin! as some wise soul mentioned in this forum, he is the weak link in india's batting lineup...!!
:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Cricket wasn't this competitive either. There were hardly any good fielding sides.
Which is why scores were a lot lower.

The fielding improvement hasn't made as much of an impact as the regulations.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i think it is unfair to say that sachin is a choker. he needs the support of his team. the difference between him and LAra is that while Lara has virtually no talent in the team, sachin does.....that's why i'd always reagard Lara as the better player.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
so lets say he is a recent choker
Thats what I would say.

He used to be quite good in pressure matches not brilliant but it was not a problem for him.

Recently over the last 2-3 years he has not been any good at all in some of the pressure situations he has been in but I dont think it's been that way all his carear.

Sehwag309

Banned
It's really a harsh word for a champion. I mean u can't say he's a complete choker, he has proved himself earlier. Lara also had a bad patch b4. If sachin performs brilliantly in another final or series, then the feelings will change towards him. So it's just simple back to basics say "Form is Temp, Class is Perm"..

I mean he didn't score 10,000+ ODI runs by fluke

Deja moo

International Captain
Revelation said:
i think it is unfair to say that sachin is a choker. he needs the support of his team. the difference between him and LAra is that while Lara has virtually no talent in the team, sachin does.....that's why i'd always reagard Lara as the better player.

Its funny how a player is judged on the ability of his team mates here.

If we kick out Dravid, Laxy , Gangs and Sehwag from the Indian team now, would Tendulkar automatically become better than Lara for you ?

Deja moo

International Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani
sorry mate, but we did have them before they reached the point of avoiding Follow On, we just didn't enforce it......

Quote Marc71178...Yes and either way, I don't think India were going to win that game...

Of course India werent going to win that game....didnt you see Bucknor turn down 3 plumb LBWs ?

Sehwag309

Banned
orangepitch said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani
sorry mate, but we did have them before they reached the point of avoiding Follow On, we just didn't enforce it......

Quote Marc71178...Yes and either way, I don't think India were going to win that game...

Of course India werent going to win that game....didnt you see Bucknor turn down 3 plumb LBWs ?
But the West Indian has no problem giving Indians out.... Gillespie to Sachin 1st Test..Ind/Aus in Aus. I am sure even gillespie must have been surprised

P.S..Do u know unofficial bettings change dramatically when bucknor is umpiring--->when India is playing...

*Plz don ask for a link*

Deja moo

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
But the West Indian has no problem giving Indians out.... Gillespie to Sachin 1st Test..Ind/Aus in Aus. I am sure even gillespie must have been surprised

P.S..Do u know unofficial bettings change dramatically when bucknor is umpiring--->when India is playing...

*Plz don ask for a link*
Of course, it was Christmas time in Australia. Santa bucknor was only doing his seasonal duty :ph34r:

Sehwag309

Banned
orangepitch said:
Of course, it was Christmas time in Australia. Santa bucknor was only doing his seasonal duty :ph34r:
BBW..Bucknor before Wicket. But many argue abt indian umpires as being biased..but it seems bucknor did injustice to his reputation.

Apart from this series , if u remember the Ind/Aus Sharjah Final...gave Sachin LBW round the wicket to Kaspa...Tony Greig was abt to jump from the comm box for that one

Deja moo

International Captain
Maybe Bucknor should go back to refreeing Football matches now.

Atleast there if he gives a bad decision , the wronged players can swear at him. :D ( or give him a good kick up his backside :@ )

Sehwag309

Banned
Nobody mentiones Dravid, Laxman..these guys are greats in tests

Lara..supreme 400, but when? Isn't he a choker too!

After loosing the series..he gets the name of 400*....

Last edited: