• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
The fact that Kapil hardly bowled in last 10-15 test matches say a lot (remember the Kumble-Raju-chauhan era ? )
I can't say remember the it clearly (remember them frying us on tour, when I was 7, but no details at all).

Kapil's Last 15 Tests:
408.1 Overs, 30 Wickets @ 29.33.

That's 27.21 Overs per game, compared to a career average of 35.29.

On the borderline of statistically significant, and definitely not hardly.

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
this is regarding Dev:

Out of the top 50 test wicket takers of all time,i think 37 of them have been pace bowlers...out of those 37 i have been lucky enough to watch live 28 of them...I struggle to find one single bowler of those 28 that was as average a fast bowler as Dev was
Well, do you mean to see that Kapil Dev was worse then Craig McDermott, Graham McKenzie, Vaas, Srinath, Andy Caddick and all those other bowlers that are in that list of top 50 wicket takers ? Give me a break !! A bowler who bowled mostly on lifeless Indian wickets and still managed to get 400 odd wickets is very very special in my opinion. He did not get bouncy tracks like most of the rest of the guys did and still managed to make a mark. Yes he was not the express kind of bowler like Marshall or Lillee or Imran, but he had very good control and had a very dangerous outswinger that stood him in good stead for all his career.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
See above post for England.

As for Australia.. Cam White and Beau Casson for two - can't go further as my Aussie domestic knowledge is as poor as my knowledge of any nation other than England's domestic structure!
Yes they are very ordinary. Cam White (69 wickets at 34.01) and Beau Casson (35 wickets at 38.31) are the sort of average players that come about naturally without the influence of a great.

Neil Pickup

a massive zebra said:
Yes they are very ordinary. Cam White (69 wickets at 34.01) and Beau Casson (35 wickets at 38.31) are the sort of average players that come about naturally without the influence of a great.
Well if he can have Kuruvilla et al, I can have those two.

Swervy

International Captain
aussie_beater said:
Well, do you mean to see that Kapil Dev was worse then Craig McDermott, Graham McKenzie, Vaas, Srinath, Andy Caddick and all those other bowlers that are in that list of top 50 wicket takers ? Give me a break !! A bowler who bowled mostly on lifeless Indian wickets and still managed to get 400 odd wickets is very very special in my opinion. He did not get bouncy tracks like most of the rest of the guys did and still managed to make a mark. Yes he was not the express kind of bowler like Marshall or Lillee or Imran, but he had very good control and had a very dangerous outswinger that stood him in good stead for all his career.
McDermott was a very good pace bowler(but not great),never saw McKenzie,Vaas on his day is more dangerous than Dev mostly was,I think Srinath was a better bowler than Dev,and I think caddick was as well to be perfectly honest

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Well if he can have Kuruvilla et al, I can have those two.
Kuruvilla was much better than them. His Test record was similar to their first-class record. If White or Casson played Tests they would be about as effective as Carl Hooper if they were lucky.

Swervy

International Captain
its funny...some people seem to be basing their arguements about Dev on the profile paragraph from cricinfo

'Kapil Dev was the greatest pace bowler India has produced, and their greatest fast-bowling allrounder. If he had played at any other time - not when Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee were contemporaries - he would surely have been recognised as the best allrounder in the world.'...sound familiar

Again...'But he was still outstanding in his accuracy and ability to swing the ball, usually away from right-handers.'

Such a coincidence :blink:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
its funny...some people seem to be basing their arguements about Dev on the profile paragraph from cricinfo

'Kapil Dev was the greatest pace bowler India has produced, and their greatest fast-bowling allrounder. If he had played at any other time - not when Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee were contemporaries - he would surely have been recognised as the best allrounder in the world.'...sound familiar

Again...'But he was still outstanding in his accuracy and ability to swing the ball, usually away from right-handers.'

Never read that myself.

Swervy

International Captain
I think we need to get back on track here...the thread is about the 5 greatest players on the 20th century and here we are talking about Dev's bowling etc

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:

And some of your arguments are just baseless. 8-)

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Threads evolve - that's their inherent beauty :)
oh i know..i was just getting sick of talking about Kapil Dev...the Richards vs Tendulkar etc part was more fun :D

Neil Pickup

Sehwag309 said:
...And some threads get tangled up pretty badly. :cool:

P.S What is this Bradford Air? Some thing to do with Pakistanis
Nope, just anti-Yorkshire sentiment shared by all of its neighbours :)

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
And some of your arguments are just baseless. 8-)
is that baseless as in seeing Dev play in both England and Australia on several occasions throughout his career...or is that baseless as in judging a player on what a relative has told you