• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who won’t be there next ashes?

loterry1994

International Debutant
From the current teams which players do you think won’t be there the next ashes?

1) England: Jimmy, Moeen, Wood, Woakes
2) Warner, Lyon, Smith, Starc, Marsh, Hazlewood, Uzzy

Think Broad will keep going on don’t see lot the aussies going on that are like mid 30s now most Aussie rarely play over 35 anyway

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think Wood might be.
Stokes hopefully - but depends on injuries.
Don’t know if Wood can last think his better off prioritising white ball cricket and going around t20 leagues. Think stokes will retire from t20s in the next year and focus on tests and have a longer career. Broad he’ll be like Anderson and play till 40 I reckon

Coronis

International Coach
Nah Smith’ll still be there. I hope Lyon is too, otherwise we’ve got **** spinners.

Qlder

International Debutant
Nah Smith’ll still be there. I hope Lyon is too, otherwise we’ve got **** spinners.
Smith will be 36 and Lyon 38 by next Ashes so doubt that they'll be there. Can see them having a farewell home series against India the summer before (along with Starc and Khawaja). Warner and Haze to retire this summer vs Pak/WI

Justo

U19 Debutant
I reckon Smith will still be around for the next Ashes in Australia. The guy lives for cricket so unless he badly loses form he'll be there. It could very well be the series he retires in though.

I could still see Lyon around at 38. Spinners have typically held out with age longer than the rest. Ultimately it could come down to how he comes back from this injury given he's not had injury issues previously. Overall though he's not a multi format player like Warne and Murali were for most of their careers so might have the desire to hang around.

Personally I expect to see Haze, Starc and Cummins all look at retiring from certain formats after this World Cup (most likely ODI's). Chances are none will be up for the next World Cup so let the next group come and focus on Tests and t20 $. This might mean one of Haze or Starc are still around for the next Australian Ashes.

Chin Music

State Regular
From the current teams which players do you think won’t be there the next ashes?

1) England: Jimmy, Moeen, Wood, Woakes
2) Warner, Lyon, Smith, Starc, Marsh, Hazlewood, Uzzy

Think Broad will keep going on don’t see lot the aussies going on that are like mid 30s now most Aussie rarely play over 35 anyway
I would have thought Smith should be there and Lyon/Hazlewood might be there from what I've seen although that depends on injuries.

Molehill

International Captain
I would have thought Smith should be there and Lyon/Hazlewood might be there from what I've seen although that depends on injuries.
Lyon will be 38, Smith 36, Hazlewood nearly 35. Even if Hazlewood was fit you wouldn't get more than 3 Tests out of him.

Chin Music

State Regular
Lyon will be 38, Smith 36, Hazlewood nearly 35. Even if Hazlewood was fit you wouldn't get more than 3 Tests out of him.
I don't think Smith will disappear any time soon unless his form falls off a cliff. The bowlers, I would pension off only if their bodies don't hold on, especially given that England have a few bowlers of a vintage. Hazlewood won't be an easy one to replace for them.

Molehill

International Captain
I don't think Smith will disappear any time soon unless his form falls off a cliff. The bowlers, I would pension off only if their bodies don't hold on, especially given that England have a few bowlers of a vintage. Hazlewood won't be an easy one to replace for them.
Smith is such an interesting character. As kind of mentioned elsewhere, he could become a 45 average bat which would be more than useful for any team. But the question for me is, how would Smith himself cope with being that kind of batsman?

Chin Music

State Regular
Smith is such an interesting character. As kind of mentioned elsewhere, he could become a 45 average bat which would be more than useful for any team. But the question for me is, how would Smith himself cope with being that kind of batsman?
It would take another year or so to see if there is a sustained fall. I would suggest that he will still be around for the next Australia Ashes but not too much longer after. Just my guess really. Still two tons this summer even if he has look less assured than his admittedly brilliant last tour here.

halba

International 12th Man
Only Cummins, Carey, head, labu, and Murphy to remain. Everyone else gone. Green will be long dropped, and Hardie will be the main all rounder.

Chin Music

State Regular
Only Cummins, Carey, head, labu, and Murphy to remain. Everyone else gone. Green will be long dropped, and Hardie will be the main all rounder.
Don't know about Green being long dropped. I still think he has potential as a batsman in test cricket. I really don't rate his bowling though.

WICFan

State 12th Man
I reckon the next Ashes will probably be Smith and Lyon's final test series. Warner, Khawaja and Boland will likely be gone, probably Hazelwood as well.

Anderson, Woakes and Moeen will be done for England, not so sure Bairstow will be there, I think Broad will still be around and if they can wrap Stokes and Wood in cotton wool between now and then I would expect them to tour.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Murphy is a fair way ahead of where Lyon was at the same age. He's actually got some skills Lyon doesn't have already; I'm pretty excited about him tbh.
Better get yourself prepared to be disappointed then

he is mediocre at best and the Aussies will find someone a lot more suited to test level

CartyDurham

International Captain
Don't know about Green being long dropped. I still think he has potential as a batsman in test cricket. I really don't rate his bowling though.
He’s been a bag of nerves every innings to date v England

he could very likely be similar to woakes when he plays overseas and excels on home turf . No shame in that but reading about him pre series on here and he was going to be the difference maker , he’s done nothing to justify that belief