• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most underated and overated players

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
SJS said:
Yes Ponting has a great pull shot. I missed it. Thats his second best shot alongwith the coverdrive. But he has very few good strokes from straight field to square leg with a straight bat which is why I feel Lara is a more complete player.
Ponting has some really nice on drives, plays the straight drive a fair bit too.
They both have all the shots...

But Lara is still better than Ponting!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
linda, perhaps you don't realise but scores of 8* and 230 out are the same as 230* and 8 out. So in any case, Lara's 400, magnificent as it was, only counted as one not out.yes, i am aware of Ponting's 250, 240 and 200 odd, but compare that to 400, the WR. (in any case my dear, 4 double centuries are more than 3, and 24 scores over 50 are more than 20.
Dont want to get you guys off topic, but Revelation what I was saying is that in your post you didnt mention Pontings doubles at all, not that they were better or worse or whatever than Lara's. All I was trying to say is that in comparing two players, I think you must cover both players the equally, does that make sense? :mellow:

And Mr Mxyzptlk (sorry its so far back, I cant find your post), yeah Pontings were against the woeful Windies bowlers, but, again, I wasnt trying to proove one better than the other. I was pointing out the lack of appreciation on Revelations part toward our Punter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Hey I gave my reasoning why I don't believe he is over-rated, how about quoting it true context?

Because you said "it shows to me" when we were all saying that at the time it happened, as we'd watched it happening.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
Dont want to get you guys off topic, but Revelation what I was saying is that in your post you didnt mention Pontings doubles at all,
Nooooooooooooooo.
Doppelganger!!!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
Ponting has some really nice on drives, plays the straight drive a fair bit too.
They both have all the shots...

But Lara is still better than Ponting!
Really doesnt drive on the on side of the wicket, thats what I meant.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Really doesnt drive on the on side of the wicket, thats what I meant.

Ponting may not have all the shots, but he uses his footwork beautifully to get into position to play his best shots.

Lara is IMO, the best player of spin. Again its dazzling footwork that makes the difference. Ponting seems hesitant in his footwork against the spinners.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
orangepitch said:
Ponting may not have all the shots, but he uses his footwork beautifully to get into position to play his best shots.

Lara is IMO, the best player of spin. Again its dazzling footwork that makes the difference. Ponting seems hesitant in his footwork against the spinners.
I agree.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
i don't know about that. 380 was great but it came against Zimbabwe. I don't know too many people who'd go crazy over that.
Every world record has been set on a very flat track. Since WW1, the only world record innings which have been made against decent attacks bowling somewhere near reasonably have been Bradman's 334 and Lara's 400.

Hutton's 364 was made against Waite, McCabe, O'Reilly, Fleetwood-Smith, Barnes, Hassett and Bradman.

Hayden's 380 was made against Streak, Blignaut, Ervine, Price and Gripper.

O'Reilly was a great bowler, and Streak is only very good, but otherwise the Zimbabwe attack is superior, man for man. Price is better than Fleetwood-Smith, Blignaut better than Waite, Ervine better than McCabe. Gripper is dreadful, but so were Barnes and Hassett.

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Linda said:
And Mr Mxyzptlk (sorry its so far back, I cant find your post), yeah Pontings were against the woeful Windies bowlers, but, again, I wasnt trying to proove one better than the other. I was pointing out the lack of appreciation on Revelations part toward our Punter.
Points for attempting my name and getting it right (copy and paste no doubt ;)). That's more guts than most on this forum. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
O'Reilly was a great bowler, and Streak is only very good, but otherwise the Zimbabwe attack is superior, man for man. Price is better than Fleetwood-Smith, Blignaut better than Waite, Ervine better than McCabe. Gripper is dreadful, but so were Barnes and Hassett.

I personally wouldn't have gone near trying to compare those 2 attacks, far too difficult...

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And I'm sure I've been saying it before you have. ;)
Well I have always held that opinion Liam before I came here.

Ah bugger it, lets call it even and say we agree on the same thing :D ?