• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will Mendis torment the most

Which will be Mendis bunny team?

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
I feel England will be the team that may suffer the most consistently from Mendis, NZL and WI are some other teams that have potential to be really tormented by him.

Pakistan is another side which I expect will have some shocking days but along with that they would have quite a lot of decent performances against him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well England don't play SL until 2011 when they play 3 tests at home against them, as to when we next tour SL it would be at least the end of 2012 i think, so I think other teams would get tormented by him sooner.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm almost thinking that the word bunny be replaced with the word bogey, cause there is more chance of a few bunnies then a few bunnies IMO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'm almost thinking that the word bunny be replaced with the word bogey, cause there is more chance of a few bunnies then a few bunnies IMO.
haha...fair call I would say Aus and Sa are most likely to handle him well especially in their own backyard I would also back Indian batsmen to perform better against him in the return series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
haha...fair call I would say Aus and Sa are most likely to handle him well especially in their own backyard I would also back Indian batsmen to perform better against him in the return series.
Wow I need some sleep *meant more bunnies then bogey's*..

Yeah I agree, I didn't see the Indian series but that's what has scared me, not really the bowling against the weaker teams.

I can't wait to see him get pummeled around a bit, just to show he's human.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Wow I need some sleep *meant more bunnies then bogey's*..

Yeah I agree, I didn't see the Indian series but that's what has scared me, not really the bowling against the weaker teams.

I can't wait to see him get pummeled around a bit, just to show he's human.
I thought bangla boys were reasonable against him, 7/130 is good but still was expecting crazy 12/87 or something

ozone

First Class Debutant
England will be terrible against him, as they are against any spinner who is even close to international standard...

Evermind

International Debutant
Heheh, this poll is hilarious!

I think NZ or WI in SL will be a treat to watch. Neither team is equipped to handle a world-class spinner - never mind this freak. I've got a feeling he might end up as the all-time highest wicket taker by the time he's done, barring injury or early retirement.

illmatic

Cricket Spectator
Heheh, this poll is hilarious!

I think NZ or WI in SL will be a treat to watch. Neither team is equipped to handle a world-class spinner - never mind this freak. I've got a feeling he might end up as the all-time highest wicket taker by the time he's done, barring injury or early retirement.

last time we went SL, we were scoring 600s and 500s n murli was playin.. test sereis was a draw.. and we won the one day tri sereis that had pakistan too!!! but safrica got thrashed there, india lost their last test sereis there.. england did as well! and thats like top 3 of 4 cricketing nations india, SA and england

Evermind

International Debutant
last time we went SL, we were scoring 600s and 500s n murli was playin.. test sereis was a draw.. and we won the one day tri sereis that had pakistan too!!! but safrica got thrashed there, india lost their last test sereis there.. england did as well! and thats like top 3 of 4 cricketing nations india, SA and england
Yeah. NZ are usually the wild cards - you can never tell what team's gonna turn up. They could thrash Australia at their very best or lose to a very mediocre WI at their worst.

HMas

U19 12th Man
Mendis will become bunny of Pakistan. Pak is only team in last few yrs who have beaten SL in SL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England will be terrible against him, as they are against any spinner who is even close to international standard...
Stuart MacGill wasn't that far from being Test-standard, and England were only poor (albeit diabolically poor) against him in 2 games out of 6, which is pretty good. England have also played Danish Kaneria without difficulty on plenty of occasions and while he isn't Test-class, he damn well might be if he had better catchers and more turning surfaces at home.

Heck, England have on plenty of occasions managed to handle Shane Warne OK-ish-ly and in 2000/01 and 2002 managed, perhaps even more remarkably, to play Muttiah Muralitharan very well indeed (albeit in the latter he was so badly injured he winced with every delivery so was obviously almost certainly below his best).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
last time we went SL, we were scoring 600s and 500s n murli was playin.. test sereis was a draw..
Hardly. New Zealand cashed-in on one flat pitch in the first half (yes, the Test series came in just two parts) of that series and would almost certainly have lost the second half on a turner had it not been for the fact that one quarter of it was washed-out.

New Zealand were ridiculously fortunate in that series in 2003 and are even more fortunate that Sri Lanka haven't had the chance to atone since.

Evermind

International Debutant
Stuart MacGill wasn't that far from being Test-standard,
I feel terribly sorry for you, but the sheer stupidity of your posts, you utter lack of a sense of humour and the fact that I just found out about the ignore user feature (:ph34r:) means that I'm afraid you're being plonked. I deeply admire the resilience and patience of those who read your posts and take you seriously.

In other news: Stuart MacGill played 44 tests, had an average below 30, a tremendous strike rate (better than Warne's), was definitely test standard, and CA would give an arm and a leg to haul him out of retirement.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. NZ are usually the wild cards - you can never tell what team's gonna turn up. They could thrash Australia at their very best or lose to a very mediocre WI at their worst.
Nah NZ are consistently mediocre. Stick them up against a top Australia side who have something to play for and NZ will get brushed aside. Against a bad team they'll win.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Stuart MacGill wasn't that far from being Test-standard, and England were only poor (albeit diabolically poor) against him in 2 games out of 6, which is pretty good. England have also played Danish Kaneria without difficulty on plenty of occasions and while he isn't Test-class, he damn well might be if he had better catchers and more turning surfaces at home.

Heck, England have on plenty of occasions managed to handle Shane Warne OK-ish-ly and in 2000/01 and 2002 managed, perhaps even more remarkably, to play Muttiah Muralitharan very well indeed (albeit in the latter he was so badly injured he winced with every delivery so was obviously almost certainly below his best).
TBH, I was exaggerating to prove a point, but the idea still stands, that out of all the sides in the world over the past 20 years, England have probably been the worst players of spin in the world.