• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Lara rate?

Slifer

International Captain
C_C said:
That has no bearing to the three questions initially posed - the genius, the destructiveness and the ease of batting.
But on another note- Viv did face an overall superior bowling cast in his batting days on pitches far harder to bat than today- the 90s would be a good comparison both for pitches and attacks and Lara was very very good in the 90s but not superior to Viv and Tendulkar

Im willing to accept Tendulkar being considered a better bat than Lara but Viv? what is the basis of ur contention? Pleez explain!! Please note that i never said i disagreed with u i just want to have a meaningful discussion. among us W'Indians we always have it out over this issue.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Slifer said:
Im willing to accept Tendulkar being considered a better bat than Lara but Viv? what is the basis of ur contention? Pleez explain!! Please note that i never said i disagreed with u i just want to have a meaningful discussion. among us W'Indians we always have it out over this issue.
I think Tendulkar is marginally better than Viv because while Viv was marginally better than Tendulkar against quality pace bowlers, Tendulkar is definitively better than Viv against spin bowlers ( in Lara vs Viv, i consider Lara to be a good player of quality pace, not great and his pace game is considerably behind Viv's but his game against spin is considerably ahead however, i consider the overall balance of the two components to be in slight favour of Viv).
Viv also batted at a significantly faster clip than Lara - which is even more pronounced considering that batsmen bat far faster today than in the 70s and 80s.

PS: I would also rank Sobers ahead of Lara.My top 5 are Bradman, Tendulkar, Viv, Sobers and Sunil Gavaskar, in that order.

C_C

International Captain
Slifer said:
So at the very least u would have Lara as what? number 6 then?
Six or seven. I am not really sure- i've read a bit about Greg Chappell but i havnt seen much of him or read as much to comment whether he deserves merit over Lara or vice versa.
Make no mistake- he is in the top 10 and one of the alltime great bats along with being at worst the #2 batsman since 1990 IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
Not outs are simply runs denied- Tendulkar has had less opportunity to bat till he gets out-like Lara does.Simply because he is surrounded by a better batting caste, which means the team is in a position to win/draw the match before Tendulkar completes his innings many times- far more often than Lara's.
Lara's first innings dismissal demonstrated beautifully why he has so few not outs. Lara doesn't bat in a team with Sehwag, Dravid and Laxman. He has had to carry the West Indies batting almost entirely. That said, assumptions can't be made that things would be different if he were Indian. That's why comparisons are essentially futile.
C_C said:
Lara's peaks have been more pronounced, simply because of his abyssimal batting at times.
That is ridiculous. Lara's peaks have been outstanding simply because he's played fantastic cricket. His magical run in 1994 was not magical because of poor batting before or after - it just was amazing.
In the last 3 years Lara has outplayed most batsmen and played as well as any.
C_C said:
As per your comment about Lara not doing well against PAK/RSA because he was re-considering his cricketing career- it doesnt fly. Mental makeup is very much a part of the equation, as all the talent in the world counts for naught if you are mentally weak and lack the drive to explore those talents to the fullest of their capacity.
The fact that Lara managed to refocus his game and dominate in the way he has since that point proves that he is a great cricketer. He may have doubted himself in that period of his career, but even Michael Jordan doubted himself once. That makes them human, not less than great sportsmen.
C_C said:
PS: Viv's stats were spoilt by the last 3 years of his career- that is 37,38 and 39 years old.
So if Lara finishes strong with keen stats as a 37, 38, 39 year-old, he will be comparable with Viv Richards? Surely it shows that he was great for longer, ending with far better stats and thus a greater player. Maybe not.

Lara will never get his deserved acclaim. No worth arguing it. He just never will.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
How did Viv face the West Indies attack? 8-)
Viv Richards was in an entirely different era of West Indies cricket. He was allowed to play the way he did, because the West Indies generally won even when he threw away his wicket - which he did often.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just because Brian Lara's trough came at a different time to Tendulkar's doesn't make Tendulkar better more often. Brian Lara's peaks have been higher than Tendulkar's, and those peaks have come twice in his career. The current peak has lasted 3 years and counting. Over the past 3+ years, Lara has been far better far more often.

In Tendulkar's last 30 Tests, he has scored 2265 runs in 49 innings, with 6 not outs, 5 hundres (2 unbeaten doubles, 194*, 193, 176), 10 fifties. He averaged 284 against Bangladesh (284 runs in 2 innings). Lara has scored 3389 runs in his last 30 Tests (not including the current one). He has played 55 innings for 2 not outs, scoring 12 hundreds (2 double hundreds, 191, 196, 176, 176, 153, and a small matter of 400*) and 9 fifties. Lara's conversion rate is inferior to Tendulkar's? In that period, Lara's conversion rate was 57.14. Tendulkar's = 33.33.

Lara averaged 65.83 against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe (395 runs in 6 innings).

Also, how can anyone rate Viv Richards better than Lara?

1. Lara has scored 2647 more runs in 31 more innings (average 85.38).
2. Lara's average is almost 4 runs higher with half as many not outs (6 << 12).
3. Lara has scored centuries more frequently (every 6 odd innings < every 7 odd innings).
4. Lara has a MUCH better conversion rate (40.25 >> 34.78).
5. Lara has gone past 200 on 8 occasions. Viv Richards did it 3 times.
6. Lara has gone past 300 twice. Viv Richards never did it.
7. Lara has infinitely more pressure on him when he bats.
8. Lara is a better player of spin.
9. Lara vs Australia = 51.61; Richards = 44.43 (51.61 >> 44.43).
10. Lara reached 1000 runs faster than Richards (21 < 25 innings).
11. Lara reached 2000 runs faster (35 < 36 innings).
12. Lara reached 3000 runs faster (52 < 54 innings).
13. Richards reached 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 runs faster than Lara - he reached 7000 in 6 less innings - yet Lara charged back to reach 8000 in 3 less innings than Richards.

Why exactly is Viv Richards better then? 'Cause he's hit 3 more sixes? It's not even about arguing with reference to stats. It's arguing with reference to performance. What claim, on the basis of performance, does Richards have over Lara?

I think a lot of people get carried away with the glory of Viv Richards, largely due to the fact that he played in a very special era of West Indies cricket. If there's any West Indian batsman who was better than Brian Lara, it would have to be George Headley, and Headley >>>> Richards.
superb post liam, very well said..

Slifer

International Captain
C_C said:
Six or seven. I am not really sure- i've read a bit about Greg Chappell but i havnt seen much of him or read as much to comment whether he deserves merit over Lara or vice versa.
Make no mistake- he is in the top 10 and one of the alltime great bats along with being at worst the #2 batsman since 1990 IMO.

Fair enuff. In either case i refuse to rank both Lara or Tendulkar in the context of other greats of the past until their careers are over. incidentally i would have as my top 5/6:

Bradman
daylight
SRT
Sobers
Gavaskar
Viv/ Lara toss up.

Incidentally i noticed u didnt include some of the greats of the past like the Hobbs, Hammonds, Weekes etc care to explain ur reasoning? I didnt either and i blame it on the 'recency' effect.

C_C

International Captain
Lara's first innings dismissal demonstrated beautifully why he has so few not outs. Lara doesn't bat in a team with Sehwag, Dravid and Laxman. He has had to carry the West Indies batting almost entirely. That said, assumptions can't be made that things would be different if he were Indian. That's why comparisons are essentially futile.
There is a difference between assumptions and logical extrapolations - India has won/declared/drawn matches more often than the WI with the IND team still batting. As such, Tendulkar doesnt get the chance to bat till he gets out ( Lara has that luxury- he knows that WI are almost never gonna declare an innings shut) and therefore has more not outs.
Essentially not outs are runs denied and less not outs are batting to your fullest capacity.

That is ridiculous. Lara's peaks have been outstanding simply because he's played fantastic cricket. His magical run in 1994 was not magical because of poor batting before or after - it just was amazing.
In the last 3 years Lara has outplayed most batsmen and played as well as any.
His peaks have been outstanding- of that there is no doubt. But his troughs have been more frequent and more pronounced than most great batsmen, providing the contrasts and thus accentuating his peak even further - its like a jagged mountain range has peaks that look more majestic simply because of the accompanying valleys right next to it than a huge massive range with lesser elavation changes.

The fact that Lara managed to refocus his game and dominate in the way he has since that point proves that he is a great cricketer. He may have doubted himself in that period of his career, but even Michael Jordan doubted himself once. That makes them human, not less than great sportsmen.
I never claimed that lara isnt a great player- he is a great player and one of the alltime best.
But the fact that he had a wonky time compared to Tendulkar against quality opposition is entirely his fault. Mental flaws are no different than lack of talent or slow reflex- it is simply a flaw that impedes your progress. If Lara's shortcommings during his rough patch can be justified due to his lack of focus, someone else's shortcomming can also be justified as lack of talent- simply because the word 'talent' is oft misused and is illogically construed as physical prowess rather than cumulative prowess- physical AND mental.
Steve Waugh was no less talented than Lara in my opinion.Just that while Lara's talents are primarily in the physical domain along with his frailties being primarily in the mental domain, Tugga was the other way round.

So if Lara finishes strong with keen stats as a 37, 38, 39 year-old, he will be comparable with Viv Richards? Surely it shows that he was great for longer, ending with far better stats and thus a greater player. Maybe not.
He already is comparable. But not better in my books so far. If he manages to pull a Gooch, he may become better than Viv, Tendy,Sobers and Gavaskar.

Lara will never get his deserved acclaim. No worth arguing it. He just never will.
When you are the lone warrior, your accomplishments often get blown out of proportions( nomatter how incredible those accomplishments are, an extra gloss is always added due to public perceptions).

C_C

International Captain
Slifer said:
Fair enuff. In either case i refuse to rank both Lara or Tendulkar in the context of other greats of the past until their careers are over. incidentally i would have as my top 5/6:

Bradman
daylight
SRT
Sobers
Gavaskar
Viv/ Lara toss up.

Incidentally i noticed u didnt include some of the greats of the past like the Hobbs, Hammonds, Weekes etc care to explain ur reasoning? I didnt either and i blame it on the 'recency' effect.
I consider pre-professional cricket to be substandard, owing to lower fitness levels and lack of the absolute necessity to do your absolute best. As such, pre-professional cricketers with similar averages ( or in the ballpark) IMO would almost definately end up averaging less if transplanted into the same era with a professional player.
There were remarkable talents however, such as Bradman, Grimmett, Barnes, Miller etc. do stand out.
Anyways i gotto go because my friend is riding my hide to cleanup my place.
cheers!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Opinions change. See my second-to-last post before this one.
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Also, how can anyone rate Viv Richards better than Lara?
8-)

At one stage you did. And many experts and cricket fans who have been watching for decades rate Viv above Lara. That doesn't make it so, but to question why someone would think as if it were to be ridiculous for someone to have that opinion is stupid. Especially considering you did at one stage. :dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nick-o said:
It might have been easier for you if i said 'percentage of centuries per innings played'

but I thought it was clear...

Anyway, the point is the likelihood of scoring a ton as a percentage of the number of innings, which I think is a good criterion for judging a batsman.
Just a minor point why is a score of 100 so much more important than 99 or 98 ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i would list the top ten batsmen in the world thus based on their exploits in international cricket....could not determine the order except that bradman would come first...

bradman
sobers
hobbs
headley
lara
richards
chappell
tendulkar
gavaskar
hammond

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
...but again this is just your opinion. It's certainly not worth arguing if you're determined to somehow prove to other that their opinions are wrong - which seems to me what you've been doing in this thread, and, you're acting as if people are saying Lara is terrible and he has no worth at all, which is clearl wrong. You won't find a single person in this thread saying Lara is not an all-time great, so why not let people have their opinions rather than try to change them, because we all have our own reasons for our opinions and given the time, we could make a statistical case (as you've done) for any batsman mentioned in this thread being the best since Bradman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dasa said:
...but again this is just your opinion. It's certainly not worth arguing if you're determined to somehow prove to other that their opinions are wrong - which seems to me what you've been doing in this thread.
Just this thread? ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just because Brian Lara's trough came at a different time to Tendulkar's doesn't make Tendulkar better more often. Brian Lara's peaks have been higher than Tendulkar's, and those peaks have come twice in his career. The current peak has lasted 3 years and counting. Over the past 3+ years, Lara has been far better far more often.

In Tendulkar's last 30 Tests, he has scored 2265 runs in 49 innings, with 6 not outs, 5 hundres (2 unbeaten doubles, 194*, 193, 176), 10 fifties. He averaged 284 against Bangladesh (284 runs in 2 innings). Lara has scored 3389 runs in his last 30 Tests (not including the current one). He has played 55 innings for 2 not outs, scoring 12 hundreds (2 double hundreds, 191, 196, 176, 176, 153, and a small matter of 400*) and 9 fifties. Lara's conversion rate is inferior to Tendulkar's? In that period, Lara's conversion rate was 57.14. Tendulkar's = 33.33.

Lara averaged 65.83 against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe (395 runs in 6 innings).
It is no secret that Tendulkar has been inconsistent in the recent phase of his career. I do not understand why you bring this phase to compare - a trough in Tendulkar's career with a superb phase of Lara's.

Over his career Tendulkar has been consistently good much more. The innings required to score a century is far lower in Tendulkar's case - consistently good. Another way to check it would be to remove the extreme x innings of a career and check the average and s.d. to see consistency along with being good (remove the extremes as it would be unfair to Lara to include the higher innings as it would show adversely on the s.d.)

And the consistently good was far better before the inconsistent phase of Tendulkar's you mentioned.

Lara has shown he is rhythm player and when in rhythm his run scoring is second only to the Don. The exploits of Lara in Sri Lanka is testament to that.

So one point in favour of Tendulkar and one point in favour of Lara as it stands. I repeat I am not saying Lara>Tendulkar or Tendulkar>Lara.

How will the two careers match up once its over? We do not know and should leave the analysis till then. :sleep:

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I would say that the gap, between SRT and BCL is about as large as the gap between my 2 front teeth with SRT being slightly better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
jamesicus said:
I do believe that if Everton Weekes had not lost his health so early he would have been second only to Bradman in consistency and statistical average -- I think there would have been a chasm between Bradman & Weekes and everybody else -- before and after.. In the late 1940s and early 1950s he was a run producing machine -- a record five successive test centuries (run out at 90 in the sixth).

I was so priveleged to see both of them at the height of their power -- Bradman in 1938 and Weekes in 1949. I know that Lancashire League cricket is not comparible to worldwide first class cricket, but Everton Weekes completely and absolutely dominated the League from 1949 until he departed in 1955. One of the greatest batting displays I ever witnessed was his double century in 1949 -- the only one in the league, ever. I believe his triple century for the West Indies vs Cambridge in 1950 was one of the fastest on record. Thus, my top three batsmen of all time:

Bradman
Weekes
Lara

Everton Weekes (1950)
You know, it is so nice to find someone posting in these threads who has actually seen all of these guys play. For that reason alone, I think James' opinion should be given more weightage than the others. We guys are simply talking stats and suppositions. He is talking facts based on what he has seen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tom Halsey said:
Tendulkar has, though, been dogged with injuries lately. I'm fairly certain that if he had been injury free those numbers would look different.
Lara had a chipped wrist bone throughout 1999. And he even managed to single handedly draw the series against Australia with that. Plus there was a period between 95 and 97 when he was bogged down by controversies and politics within the team and the "cricket is ruining my life" period. Shouldn't all those things be taken into account?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In the same games that INdia have won/declared, Sachin has had to face less attacking fields... He has faced the McGrath/Warne combo far lesser times than Lara and really, even though the Windies pitches have been flatter, the Indian pitches and conditions are such a vast contrast to the general conditions that so many teams have been done in because of that. Plus, Sachin has always had good batsmen around him (atleast at home)... He had Sidhu, Azhar, Manjrekar and Kambli at one time, and then Dravid, Ganguly at one time, and then Dravid, Sehwag and Laxman at one time. Plus, he is going through a major slump right now. Who knows, it could go lower than Lara's troughs? what happens then?