• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne v McGrath

Who do you think was the better bowler?

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
Yes but i think the point Subs was trying to make is that both Lara and SRT tended to perform very well against the best attack over the lengths of their career, that being the Aussie attack. In Mcgrath's and Warne's playin time, the best batting line-up (out side of their own) was generally India and one of the two performed decidedly better than the other against India (esp in India).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Probably best team against pace was S.Africa. McGrath's record isn't too hot there. And he never had the kind of period Warne had to for his shoulder/hand.

Slifer

International Captain
Um Mcgrath averages 23.62 in RSA as opposed to his overall average of 27.33. Come on Ikki.

Slifer

International Captain
Post Warnes stats home and away against India (plus the myriad of excuses) then get back to me

Slifer

International Captain
And the excuses continue. If SHane Warne wasnt fit enough to bowl, then he shouldnt have. If he could take a year off for being a drug cheat then surely if he was so hampered by injury , he could take a year off for that as well. SRT was seriously hampered by tennis elbow a few years ago but i never saw u giving him ne lee-way when u contended that Ponting was better than he was.

Ne way Mcgrath has a lower SR, Ave. Econ. and a WPM ration that is marginally (decimal points) lower than Warne. Mcgrath enjoyed success against the best battin line up of his period whereas Warne well he was treated like a club bowler. Mcgrath is overall more consistent against a greater number of teams than Warne.

PS The only reason u agree with Francis and his use or lack use of stats are because they support ur opinion. When u have two bowlers playing in the same team, playing against roughly the same opponents, in the same period of time thats essentially the only real means of separating 2 players. Thats y a player Malcolm Marshall > Garner, y a Lara > Chanderpaul, Ponting> Hayden etc.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's like saying: if Martin Crowe wasn't ready for Test cricket, he shouldn't have batted. If Allan Donald was at the end of his career he shouldn't have bowled. If Tendulkar was suffering from an elbow problem, he shouldn't have batted. And on we go.

I did give Tendulkar leeway, but for how long? 2-3 years, sure - 7 years? Not likely.

In that 3 year period Warne had worse stats against the WIndies and New Zealand, as well as England...teams he never had trouble against. To shut your eyes to these...well, takes some doing. He was a different bowler and lumping them in altogether with his overall stats just hides how good he really was. Also, he never had home pitches like there were in Sri Lanka to face India. He had to face them in some of the worst conditions of all for spin.

Warne himself said at the time and in the Parkinson interview, he had to learn to bowl all over again. Not only could he not land his flipper or go for his wrong'n much, the feeling, the muscle memory of what a "good bowl" was lost to him. Warne who was renown for his excrutiating accuracy was spraying them at times. Getting too much spin at other times or simply flighting them wrong. It took quite a while before he started to land them on a dime again. McGrath never had to go through all that, so don't give me this trite about how Warne is worse in Avg. and SR.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Ur talking as if Mcgrath has never had his fair share of career threatening injuries and if ur goin to omit Warnes stats while injured, u might as well omit the stats for mcgrath and all other bowlers when they were injured, ne way thats beside the point, the fact of the matter is Warne comes up a distant second best to Mcgrath purely on who is the better bowler, as demonstrated statistically.

PS ne one who knows ne thing about India would know that India is ideally suited for spin bowlers other wise y would bowlers like H Singh and Kumble enjoy so much success at home. Fact of the matter is, Indians eat spin bowling for breakfast lunch and dinner, in fact its because of these very spinner conditions y many consider India (esp recent India) to be the ultimate proving grounds for pace men.

Im just curious Ikki y do u think Shane Warne is a better bowler than Glenn Mcgrath? Secondly, do u also consider SHane Warne to be the best bowler of all time?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath had an injury comparable to Warne? When was this? You mean when he rolled his ankle over a ball?

India is ideal for spin bowlers...their own. They are so good at playing them at home that it's completely incomparable to any other place or situation.

I think Warne was better because what stats won't tell you is the many times more Warne won us matches that McGrath didn't. I feel Francis has hit the nail on the head. McGrath was more a consistent and economical bowler but not in the Lillee or Warne mould in that he would snatch victory from the opposition when it was unlikely. Look at Warne's stats - without the question over whether you agree or not, just for argument's sake - without that bad period and he averages something like 23 and strikes at 55. If I were going for a statistical representation to show you how good he actually was (at least in my mind), and not only good but consistent, it would be that pair of stats. And considering he is a spinner; ties ends, bowls to settled batsmen, doesn't benefit from a new ball, etc, you can see that the difference in stats is just stupid to argue over. What's way more important is the fact that Warne was the go to guy. McGrath knew that, everybody in the team knew that and most people around the world know that.

To write it off as simply flashes and hollywood is just so so wrong. If anything, it's the fact that Warne was 'style' and lived up to that that sets him apart. Waugh thought he was playing with a deadset legend, even though they obviously had their differences. As universally as Sobers is lauded so is Warne. No one was simply fooled by his extravaganza - I detest it when people trot off that kind of line. It's the magic he created ball by ball and the dreams he made come true that set him apart. Francis mentions the WC achievements, and yes, whilst they're not Tests, they encapsulate the kind of person he was. He could flip the game on it's head. And as much as it's a discourteous thing to say to another legend...McGrath simply was not on that level.

And yes, I do consider him the best bowler of all time. Warne only half-way through his career was considered the greatest spinner, and highest rated bowler, of all-time in both Wisden's 5 great cricketers of the century and ESPN's Legends. And he had way more after that. His 05 Ashes was a master-class. With his marriage in tatters and him crying in the dressing room, he came out and spin magic. No...better than magic...hope. For with Warne, you never really knew you were beaten. And it was a spinner doing this for god's sake. Amazing. He wasn't blasting them out with sheer pace but outwitting them. The energy he put in every ball was massive.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Ne way for me:

If I had to have a fast bowler to bowl for my life it would be Glenn Mcgrath (along with Marshall). The guy was just relentless. People talk about the World Cup conveniently forgetting how outstanding Mcgrath was on that big stage (hell didnt he win a man of the tournament award a few years ago). Im not to fond of non-West Indians as a rule but for complete champion bowlers like Mcgrath i had to make an exception. If ne one wants to see a master class, just watch Mcgrath ne time he went to India. i put very little stock in wisdens legend list, no doubt Warne is a greater legend than Mcgrath as he stands out more among spinners than does mcgrath from other fast bowlers and because leg spin is thought to be more difficult to bowl than seam bowling. People talk about game flippin moments for Warne, conveniently forgetting that all of these moments came against teams that have historically been known to be atrocious against pin (ex England.) Mcgrath had these same game changing moments and more like his hattrick against the WI in 2000, or his 5 for in the 1st test against England in 2005. I could go on and on but its safe to say that i'll never convince u that Mcgrath is a better bowler than Warne (despite overwhemling stats) and you nor Francis will ever convince me that Warne is better than Mcgrath.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka are bad players of spin now? I guess agree to disagree. For me, McGrath will always be in Warne's shadow.

Slifer

International Captain
Sri Lankans arent bad players of spin but u very well know that they are a cut below India in this dept. If shane Warne had had at least one good to great series against India i may have been able to let him slide (like ive done with his record against the WI) but he hasnt. I cant think of ne serious test that mcgrath failed. He performed outstandingly in the Sub continent (supposedly the grave yard for seamers), he performed outstandingly against the best batting line up of his time, he was consistently good to great againt all teams as evidenced by his highest average against ne team being 27 and highest in ne country being 31 (in Pakistan).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You should check the stats, saying they are a cut below is underselling them. I would say they are about as good as Australia.

McGrath was pretty poor at home against New Zealand and S.Africa and not good against Sri Lanka in Lanka or Pakistan in Pakistan. You seem to think McGrath was universally good everywhere, that isn't the case.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I never said Mcgrath was universally good every where, no bowler was but he was far more consistent in more places than Warne was. I mean come on he averages what 31 in Pakistan and 29 in SL and 30 odd in Australia against NZL. I am not even goin to write what Warne averages home and away against India, away to the WI etc. Suffice to say that Mcgrath's peaks are as high if not higher than those of Warne's and Warne's troughs are lower, far lower than Mcgrath's. Sorta like comparing SRT with BCL.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath had an injury comparable to Warne? When was this? You mean when he rolled his ankle over a ball?
You don't remember when (twice) McGrath has missed entire seasons with ripped intercostal muscles? When India were in Aus 2003/04, for example, and all Aus had were Brad Williams, Kasper, Dizzy and MacGill to choose from.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Clearly I'm done arguing my points in this thread, and we've come to sort of a nice 'agree to disagree with different criteria' end. But there is a point I'd like to make.

McGrath's injury was in no way comparable to Shane Warne's. After his finger opperation Shane Warne's ring-finger wasn't the same. Dean Jones has explained this very well in the past - better than I can - but basically the tip of his ring finger points more upwards than it used to. To make my ring finger point upwards like that, I'd have to take my elft hand and force it to move upwards.

The terrible result of that was that Warne lost his accuracy on his flipper. This was especially evident during the third and final Test of the 2001 series to India when I remember he bowled two flippers to Tendulkar and they bounced before halfway of the actual pitch. Tendulkar had all the time in the world to hit his consecutive two flippers, and hit two fours. That's why I've said in the past that I don't think Warne ever bowled his best against India - because he clearly didn't. He lacked probing accuracy.

By all means Warne's record against India should count againt him, because most athletes who've been injured and don't return to their best get criticised, and Warne should be no different. But I've always felt that Warne, at his best, could have played well in India, not great. Unfortunately 2004 was the only time he was heading into an Indian series with great form and he did well. People can dispute that if they like, but I've never seen Warne hit the pitch before halfway on any other occasion. You'd have to be blind not to see he was out of form. Again, he should be criticised for his stuff in India because why couldn't have have re-thought his bowling strategies at the time etc? He re-invented himself after 2003 and bowled great then with his limitation, but why couldn't he bowl like that in India? If his flipper was gone in that series, why try to bowl it so much? So Warne should be criticised for that, but I've seen him at his best and really I think 2004 is the best indication of how he would have done in India with good form and good health.

Warne had to teach himself to bowl again after his finger injury. After his first delivery in the nets following his finger surgery (which apparently was right on the mark) Warne said it didn't feel good - that it didn't feel it came out the way it used to. If you understood the composition of Warne's finger, then you'd be able to see that it's unlikely anybody could bowl a consistent good flipper after that. The only time I've seen Warne bowl consistent good flippers following his injury was against the West Indies in 2005 - the first Test in Brisbane (where he absolutely toyed with Lara - despite Bracken getting his wicket).

If McGrath had some sort of elbow injury or shoulder injury that forced him re-shape his bowling action, or re-think his action, or generally re-think the way he had to go about bowling, then he'd have an injury comparable to Warne's. Really Dennis Lillee is a better example of someone who went through what Warne had to. Lillee had to re-think his bowling after his back injury and came back with variations like cutters (both ways), masterful chances of pace etc. I believe he somewhat changed his bowling action, although personally I never saw it from old footage I've watched.

Really I wish I could get Deans Jones to explain Warne's finger injury to you because he did a great job of it once.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Sorry I just thought I'd add that I'm not interested in another Warne v India discussion. That's been done to death. My argument was that McGrath's injury doesn't compare to Warne's. Warne's two flippers to Sachin Tendulkar in 2001 was the best example of how I can substantiate my claim that he couldn't release the ball properly when bowling a flipper after his injury. He'd break the flipper out from time to time (like against the Windies in 2005), but he wasn't the same after the surgery. Hence I wasn't trying to start Warne v India, rather just trying to illustrate that Warne faced challenges McGrath didn't in trying to teach himself to bowl again.

Here's Warne's ring finger (only not that bent)

-------/

Migara

International Coach
Unfortunately 2004 was the only time he was heading into an Indian series with great form and he did well
Unfortunately Sidhu and Azhar were not there too to receive him.

Migara

International Coach
Warne's two flippers to Sachin Tendulkar in 2001 was the best example of how I can substantiate my claim
Way before that, his flippers to Indian batsmen in ODI arena had disappeared similarly. In 1999 WC Robin Singh hit one with a straight bat over straight mid wicket. Kambli also sent one soaring over the scoreboard in Sharjah as well. Obviously Indians did reasonably pick every variation of his. Even Warne at very best, I would give upper hand to in form Sidhu, Azhar, Sachin and Laxman.

On other hand I can't think of any batsman getting upperhand of McGrath with the frequency Indians got on top of Warne.