• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander vs Kapil Dev

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean you are the guy who doesn't think even Marshall and Hadlee is close.
Never said that.

Hadlee is a clear and district 3rd and definitely in the top tier with the other 2.

Just think Marshall for reasons I've long given is the best. He just had everything. Wouldn't say not close though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never said that.

Hadlee is a clear and district 3rd and definitely in the top tier with the other 2.

Just think Marshall for reasons I've long given is the best. He just had everything. Wouldn't say not close though.
I think if you have to compare them and really get down to it, it's obvious enough who's better, but in reality this 'difference' would have made next to no actual difference

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if you have to compare them and really get down to it, it's obvious enough who's better, but in reality this 'difference' would have made next to no actual difference
And we can agree to disagree. Marshall's pace and aggression beings an entire dimension that Hadlee lacked. He had the ability to take the pitch out of the equation while still possessing the accuracy and swing that Hadlee had. He also had a more well rounded record with a much more packed schedule.

Outside of CW, I've never heard Hadlee referred to as being better than Marshall and even here it's a serious minority. Even in their era there was a clear hierarchy among the big 3.

It's not chasms apart, but Marshall was better and I would argue the best ever. Even in our last vote, Hadlee was closer to 4th than 2nd, far less 1st.