• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Honestly, I think they'll be lucky to force their way into the squad, let alone the 1st choice XI. Their selection (alongside the likes of Foxcroft, Clarkson) for this series is probably more geared towards 2026 & beyond.

The Sri Lanka white ball tour later this year could have a similar "future focused" bent for a couple of reasons:
  • The Test players may not even return to Sri Lanka, considering the turnaround between the India Tests & the England series. If they don't go straight home, they certainly won't play the T20s. Someone like Kristian Clarke might be in line for a callup, for at least the ODIs.
  • Considering SL is co hosting the 2026 T20WC, it makes sense to give opportunities to players who might well end up playing in those conditions

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah they're not going to make a sudden investment in youth for a world cup tournament so soon. But hopefully these are the guys that will be at the 2027 ODI WC

thundaboult

International Debutant
It'll be Henry, Boult and Ferguson for the quicks. Sears may get taken along as cover for Ferguson in the event of injury but knowing Stead it'll probably be Southee as the backup.
Think they'll pick milne over henry although i'd pick henry over southee anyday (and perhaps even milne tbh, but i quite like milne in there too). Is milne's injury really bad?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Neesham has to be in the playing 11. No one handles pressure better than this guy. Either he seals the deal or at the least brings it super close. Operates so well in big moments.
Speaking of Neesham, he turned the result overnight - the chasing of 262 with 8 balls to go - in the IPL into a story (I think they call it) on insta, and it said 'the game is ruined'

It reads as he is saying this seriously, and it's kinda how I feel.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Speaking of Neesham, he turned the result overnight - the chasing of 262 with 8 balls to go - in the IPL into a story (I think they call it) on insta, and it said 'the game is ruined'

It reads as he is saying this seriously, and it's kinda how I feel.
It'll be interesting to see how things go from here, feels like a fork-in-the-road moment. A lot of IPL-crazy folks around me are starting to get concerned ("can we get back to the days when 180 was a winning score" etc). Whether the BCCI is prepared to listen to them will be a pointer to what the real captive audience is like - people who see this as (T20) cricket first and (often mindless) entertainment second, or the other way around. What this means for the international game and the longer formats is a separate question and we're well past that it feels like.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Think they'll pick milne over henry although i'd pick henry over southee anyday (and perhaps even milne tbh, but i quite like milne in there too). Is milne's injury really bad?
Henry's quietly become a much improved T20 player and despite the Southee-Boult hangover is now probably NZ's first choice all-format bowler. For once, I think the IPL callup (for a NZ player) was a sensible choice even if he'll likely spend more time on the bench. If Milne is fit, he's probably battling it out with Lockie and Sears, not Henry.

number11

State 12th Man
Get used to this - we're probably going to have a whole generation of them...this is the first generation (born around 2000 or so) who were raised with the IPL/T20, and grew up on wackedy do over solid technique.
This is the truth. Test cricket is dying out - and if you're a young guy coming through now, you'd focus on T20 for commercial reasons.

Still, you can be uber aggressive with technique and efficiency. The young Pakistani batsmen don't inspire much confidence in that regard.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Might've decided pre series we were going to rotate this series and give everyone a decent shot, because don't think this is our best XI for the decider. Esp leaving out Robinson to play both keepers and leaving out Foxcroft.

number11

State 12th Man
Crickey, Amir is pants.
I recall 14 years ago he had the world at his feet. His greed and subsequent suspension ruined him.
He is a trundler now - and Seifert looks a superb talent.
I don't know how NZ with a popualation of 5mn keeps churning out such talent.

thundaboult

International Debutant
brilliant fightback from the pak spinners

is cole mcchonchie here to make up the numbers or play? seems really really average....not sure why he's gotten opportunities over the last 3 years

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
brilliant fightback from the pak spinners

is cole mcchonchie here to make up the numbers or play? seems really really average....not sure why he's gotten opportunities over the last 3 years
Is a Cantabrian, is 'dependable', is no frills. The archetypal Stead cricketer.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the truth. Test cricket is dying out - and if you're a young guy coming through now, you'd focus on T20 for commercial reasons.

Still, you can be uber aggressive with technique and efficiency. The young Pakistani batsmen don't inspire much confidence in that regard.
I don't actually believe Test cricket is dying out, there's no way only T20 can exist. That'd be the end of the game as we know it. There needs to be context, depth, statistical relevance, history etc in any sport to make it survive, and T20 ticks very few of those boxes.

But yeah, your second point is exactly right. Unfortunately, the younger generation aren't growing up on a diet of technique. There's multiple issues - you have the obvious one, that these kids want to wack it. But also, from what I hear, there's less quality in coaching at the junior level, more parents who don't know technique or proper application, and do just let them smash it in the nets. Probably a downside of people being more time-poor and those parents/coaches who used to impart the knowledge, they just can't justify the time.