• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unique Bowling runup and actions.

FRAZ

International Captain
Here is my list of bowlers with interesting and unique actions
1. Patric peterson (I loved his action and used to copy)
2. Paul Adams
3. AbdulQadir
4. Shane Warne
5. Wasim Akram (Shortest run up for a bowler of his speed)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Glenn Mcgrath's action.

Anil Kumble perhaps -- an old timer at the SCG test said that Anil's action was remarkably similar to Bill O Reilly.

I never saw footage of Tiger O Reilly so I can't comment on this.
But Kumble's action is certainly unique in the cricket that I have seen.

Out of interest, if anyone has seen newsreel footage of O'reilly ; are they similar ?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Glenn Mcgrath's action.

Anil Kumble perhaps -- an old timer at the SCG test said that Anil's action was remarkably similar to Bill O Reilly.

I never saw footage of Tiger O Reilly so I can't comment on this.
But Kumble's action is certainly unique in the cricket that I have seen.

Out of interest, if anyone has seen newsreel footage of O'reilly ; are they similar ?
I've seen some footage of O'Reilly on ESPN's Legends of Cricket, and the runup and actions are virtually identical. O'Reilly also bowled close to medium pace with little spin, but very accurate from what i have seen.

FRAZ

International Captain
I remember when I was a kid , I always heard my fellows talking about peterson and his short exercising steps then run up and takeoff . He was the most famous cricketer among my freinds at that time , Though he was'nt the greatest.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
There is a little bit of Wasim Akram's action in young Pathan's action.

The two deliveries he bowled to dismiss Waugh and Gilchrist in Sydney were certainly reminiscent of the reverse swinging balls that Akram frequently produced.

FRAZ

International Captain
Shane comes in as if a Bully walks slowly towards a weak link and then "SMASHES" on his jaws.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Merv hughes once spotted that a new zealand batsman only looked up when he was about to deliver it so the next delevery he bowled from about 10 yards behind the umpire so the batsman wouldnt see it, the batsman didnt get out but it led to a change in the laws of cricket

thierry henry

International Coach
Only a few years back Andre Adams used to mix up his normal deliveries by bowling the same as ever, but off literally a 2 pace run-up (in NZ domestic one-dayers). He started his run-up at the end of the pitch, I don't think I have even seen a spinner use such a short run-up. I have no idea why he did it though.

Kerry Walmsley- does the big double arm salute before each ball.

Mohammad Sami deserves a mention for changing his action in between spells and often in the middle of an over. Has anyone noticed this? Usually he generates all his pace through his remarkably quick arm action and delivery stride, but sometimes he bowls with a completely different action. You will notice he takes a much more extravagant, slower delivery stride with his left foot, and winds up more. Everything happens slower but he bowls at about the same pace.