• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 not Ponting's game

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting today on Twenty20:

"I enjoy playing the game but I think it's best played when it is just a fun sort of game and there is not too much riding on it," he said.

"We know that there's a world championship coming up and I guess if we keep playing like that, then bring it on."
Loving Jono's avatar btw.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gareth Keenan from the UK version of The Office.

His greatest quote when he's in a nightclub talking to random chicks:

"Condoms come in all different flavours nowadays. Like strawberry and curry and that. Do you like curry?"

:laugh:

howardj

International Coach
To me, in cricket, boundaries should be hard earnt and rare. Because they're so plentiful in Twenty20, they sort of lose their meaning - like a try in Rugby Sevens.

'Another six, ho hum'.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Gareth Keenan from the UK version of The Office.

His greatest quote when he's in a nightclub talking to random chicks:

"Condoms come in all different flavours nowadays. Like strawberry and curry and that. Do you like curry?"

:laugh:
Haha My fave would have to be this one:
"Two lesbians, probably. Sisters. I'm just watching."

Evermind

International Debutant
I honestly can't see how having a knickname on the back of ones shirt should completely change their attitude to the game at hand. Granted about the music as it's an obvious causes for distraction, but as Adharcric mentioned above, it still requires a certain amount of skill, and therefore shouldn't be seen as shameful to represent your country at.
Tell that to James Anderson.

The fact is that 20/20 is pretty much like baseball. Just swing your bat as hard as possible and if you've got good co-ordination, it's a 6, if not, you're out. There isn't much finesse involved, and I wouldn't blame a bowler if he's not so keen on it. It all comes down to co-ordination, and I'm certain that they're gonna start looking at recruiting baseballers to train the batsmen.

It's fun and entertaining and all that, but do we really need a 20/20 championship the same year as the 50-over world cup? It's way too much cricket IMO - I'm getting quite sick of watching it, to be honest, so I can't imagine what the players feel. It's just gonna dilute interest in the world cup and champions trophy (which in itself is kinda redundant TBH). Of course, the ICC is greedy and needs to fill its own pockets, so it's like Hollywood released garbage movie after garbage movie from its intellectually bankrupt assembly line solely for the purpose of making money. The 20/20 world championship to me is a little like Garfield 2: A Tale of Two Kitties - it's embarrassing just hearing about its existence, because the motives behind it are pretty clear to everyone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

The fact is that 20/20 is pretty much like baseball. Just swing your bat as hard as possible and if you've got good co-ordination, it's a 6, if not, you're out. There isn't much finesse involved, and I wouldn't blame a bowler if he's not so keen on it. It all comes down to co-ordination, and I'm certain that they're gonna start looking at recruiting baseballers to train the batsmen.
I'll tell you what, Australia scored 221 runs. If you can score 221 runs by swinging your bat and hope for the best, I'd like some of those players for Test cricket please.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's fun and entertaining and all that, but do we really need a 20/20 championship the same year as the 50-over world cup? It's way too much cricket IMO - I'm getting quite sick of watching it, to be honest, so I can't imagine what the players feel. It's just gonna dilute interest in the world cup and champions trophy (which in itself is kinda redundant TBH). Of course, the ICC is greedy and needs to fill its own pockets, so it's like Hollywood released garbage movie after garbage movie from its intellectually bankrupt assembly line solely for the purpose of making money. The 20/20 world championship to me is a little like Garfield 2: A Tale of Two Kitties - it's embarrassing just hearing about its existence, because the motives behind it are pretty clear to everyone.

Do you have any idea how unsuccessful baseballers are in terms of hits compared to cricketers? Even tho baseballers get 3 goes at trying to hit the ball in play?

It's not even close to baseball. Sure some shots end up looking likes slogs when the ball is overpitched and they're trying to hit it for six, but blind slogging doesn't get you anywhere.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
That was a nice, well thought out post from The Sean back there :)

I'd like to add that I'm not totally anti-20/20, I would just prefer that it stays a one-game-per-tour affair for the punters with attention deficit disorder.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Given the points that Gilchrist raised, one of the interesting things about this World Cup scheduling is that even the backers of 20/20 admit that it has some way to go before it catches on in all nations as it has in England. The format is still treated as a novelty in Australia at this point in time, and has scarcely been played at all in some other nations, and yet they're planning a major international tournament in the format starting this year.

Anyway, I imagine we can expect a few more complaints of this nature as the tournament draws closer. Peter Roebuck will get ulcers.
tell me why does cricket have to have two or more of everything? 3 forms, 2 1/2 world cups i say 1/2 because champions trophy is counted as "second only to world cup" when its not even close ... tell me what other highly respected sport have to world championship?well atleast we should call the 20/20 championship something that doesn't sound like a "world championship" because it shouldn't get the world championship status...its best played in domestic level and in minor countries....well it just came to my mind that this is how the icc's going to fill every single year with a icc tournament= after the second 20/20 championship in 2009,(mind you thats when the second baseball world classic is! so im thinking is it something icc thought off to contest baseball with?) its going to be held every 4 years(so its going to be held the same year of the world classic from then on) between the world cup and the champions trophy. so every year its a icc event and thats just much...you just dont get the feeling its going to come every four years because there's one similar next year no matter what's its called.

Last edited:

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
fair comparison to rugby imo:

Test = Rugby Union
ODI = Rugby League
Twenty20 = Rugby Sevens

To all their merits.
If rugby can survive well in three forms, so could cricket.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
In defence of Test cricket, it's not a game run by people with such a superiority complex that other forms of cricket were banned in certain countries, with rules which stifle flair and allow one guy with one skill to be able to win a match single-handedly more often than not.

In defence of rugby league, it is not just a compressed version of rugby union, but a different sport in its own right. It also doesn't have such a rigid formula to it that you can safely have a nap in the middle overs, knowing nothing will happen.

Scaly piscine

fair comparison to rugby imo:

Test = Rugby Union
ODI = Rugby League
Twenty20 = Rugby Sevens

To all their merits.
If rugby can survive well in three forms, so could cricket.
Ugh not this comparison of Twenty20 with Rugby Sevens bollocks again - there are virtually no parallels at all. Cricket has Hong Kong Sixes, which barely gets any media coverage and has no-names playing - that's your cricket parallel with Rugby Sevens.

Of course your other comparisons are dire as well.

Fiery

Banned
Ugh not this comparison of Twenty20 with Rugby Sevens bollocks again - there are virtually no parallels at all. Cricket has Hong Kong Sixes, which barely gets any media coverage and has no-names playing - that's your cricket parallel with Rugby Sevens.

Of course your other comparisons are dire as well.
Dire post. The 20/20 comparison to rugby Sevens was a totally fair comparison to make imo. This is a new poster from Romania, (of all places too) so words like "bollocks" and "dire" are unnecessary Scaly

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Dire post. The 20/20 comparison to rugby Sevens was a totally fair comparison to make imo. This is a new poster from Romania, (of all places too) so words like "bollocks" and "dire" are unnecessary Scaly
What's being in Romania got to do with anything?

How diplomatic can you be when it's a comparison that comes up again and again that is completely wrong. There is no more of a parallel between Twenty20 and Sevens than there is between Mickey Mouse and boot polish.

Fiery

Banned
What's being in Romania got to do with anything?

How diplomatic can you be when it's a comparison that comes up again and again that is completely wrong. There is no more of a parallel between Twenty20 and Sevens than there is between Mickey Mouse and boot polish.
Why not? They are both abbreviated formats of a game. It's a perfectly reasonable, and in fact quite accurate, comparison to make!