• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred could be scrapped

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Crawley Town are in Sussex if you fancy an away day there this season

But @Molehill has proven your point immediately.
Haha. I’ve been Crawley away actually a few seasons back. We just lost to them last weekend. But I try and pretend they don’t exist. A nondescript club in the vein of Fleetwood, Salford etc

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha. I’ve been Crawley away actually a few seasons back. We just lost to them last weekend. But I try and pretend they don’t exist. A nondescript club in the vein of Fleetwood, Salford etc
Absolute dump of a place as well.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Telegraph just published the five options being considered by the ECB for the future of the hundred. Will try to summarise below.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
1. Status Quo
2. Expand to 10 teams, possible outside investment in teams
3. Sell a stake in the whole league (a bit like the six nations)

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
4. Top division of 8 or 10, bottom division of 8or 10, no promotion and relegation
5. 18 teams, one hosted by each county, joint ventures between county, ECB and possible private investors. Promotion and Relegation. Minor counties to play hundred too, but no promotion and relegation to division 2.

Notes: whole thing could be hundred or T20. Sky could veto the whole thing if they don’t like it due to the tv contract to 2028.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Who would have thought that a tournament that nobody wanted - or asked for - would cause such problems?

Third_Man

U19 Vice-Captain
1. Status Quo
2. Expand to 10 teams, possible outside investment in teams
3. Sell a stake in the whole league (a bit like the six nations)
4. Top division of 8 or 10, bottom division of 8or 10, no promotion and relegation
5. 18 teams, one hosted by each county, joint ventures between county, ECB and possible private investors. Promotion and Relegation. Minor counties to play hundred too, but no promotion and relegation to division 2.
1. A real possibility especially if nothing else can be agreed.
2. A longshot, unless it really is only Durham, Somerset and Gloucestershire unhappy.
3. Must be an option, but who to and why would they be interested unless it's making money or they get controlling interest?
4. 8 would keep it in parallel with the women, but why no promotion or relegation. Who would this keep happy - you can join in and play as long as you do it over there in the corner with nobody watching. Easiest option to arrive at a compromise.
5. If no one else wants our new patented new format across the world so we will force it onto the National Counties to prove we were right and it can be expanded. Again who in the media will be interested in anything other than the top 8 of the renamed Lancashire Originals, Surrey Invincibles, Yorkshire Superchargers, Hampshire Brave etc.

Lancashire would no doubt love to cross promote on their media, but have so far resisted after publishing and being told to take down an early open letter from Simon Katich encouraging members to attend the franchise matches.

The real questions may be around what compromises the counties achieve around the Blast and One Day cup coverage.

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
The 100 is causing a lot of issues. And the Solution is IMO

Remove the 100 from the Mens part of the 100 and make it T20. Let the women play 100 (As its more successful for them then it is for the men) and the whole thing could work

Rename the competition as the English Super League as well. Look to expand to 10 teams as well. But keep the T20 Blast as well and that could be an indirect feeder to the ESL.

As for the National Countries we should be looking at bringing back the Natwest Trophy or have the 1 day cup as 4 groups of 10 with the winners going into the Semi final (Huntingdonshire & a University side being the other sides in the 40) and play it due non-T20 parts of the season

Third_Man

U19 Vice-Captain
The 100 is causing a lot of issues. And the Solution is IMO

Remove the 100 from the Mens part of the 100 and make it T20. Let the women play 100 (As its more successful for them then it is for the men) and the whole thing could work

Rename the competition as the English Super League as well. Look to expand to 10 teams as well. But keep the T20 Blast as well and that could be an indirect feeder to the ESL.

As for the National Countries we should be looking at bringing back the Natwest Trophy or have the 1 day cup as 4 groups of 10 with the winners going into the Semi final (Huntingdonshire & a University side being the other sides in the 40) and play it due non-T20 parts of the season
involving national counties into a competition with a round robin group stage will always be problematic. They are amateur. Cumbria played one player to play in 3 games this year as a pro, the rest have jobs to do the previous day and the next morning. They mainly drive to games themselves. How much travelling would be involved? Counties can select the team down to availability as well as form. Cornwall used 32 players this year, Oxfordshire 33, Wales 30. Several others over 25.

Ali TT

International Debutant
What is driving this messing about? Is it really a financial issue (in which case just scrap it)? Or is it a case of the vested interests of the counties trying to meddle once more now that Graves and Harrison are long gone? Any excuse to go down to London for a day long meeting with a free lunch.

Why on earth this obsession with the national counties too? The quality at the bottom end of the professional countries is bad enough, we don't need to dilute it even further.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What is driving this messing about? Is it really a financial issue (in which case just scrap it)? Or is it a case of the vested interests of the counties trying to meddle once more now that Graves and Harrison are long gone? Any excuse to go down to London for a day long meeting with a free lunch.

Why on earth this obsession with the national counties too? The quality at the bottom end of the professional countries is bad enough, we don't need to dilute it even further.
Probably a longing to be like football. Seems to misdirect all sorts of thoughts from people who know nothing about football

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain

It's an unwanted format by the majority of cricket fans that is losing money despite denials by the ECB.

However, to scrap it now would bankrupt them due to the long term contract with Sky and other financial deals.

These options seem like they are panicking. If there were assurances that the format would cease when the contract with Sky ends (2028 I think) then I'd be happy just to let it run its course as it is and then scrap it for an enhanced T20 which is preferred by cricket fans.

As for private investment I was reading something from a cricket fan who was also a director of a major accounting firm and he was saying that this would be a very bad idea.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's an unwanted format by the majority of cricket fans that is losing money despite denials by the ECB.

However, to scrap it now would bankrupt them due to the long term contract with Sky and other financial deals.

These options seem like they are panicking. If there were assurances that the format would cease when the contract with Sky ends (2028 I think) then I'd be happy just to let it run its course as it is and then scrap it for an enhanced T20 which is preferred by cricket fans.

As for private investment I was reading something from a cricket fan who was also a director of a major accounting firm and he was saying that this would be a very bad idea.
Is it losing money though? This will surely be a statement of fact one way or another soon enough.

The format is really just T20 with gimmicks. I think the teams are a bit stupid and the way it relegated the One Day Cup to a second XI competition obviously sucked. But the cricket was good this year

Ali TT

International Debutant

I didn't really want the Hundred, would've much preferred a franchise T20 but it is what it is and is actually starting to do what it was created to do

This just smacks of that alleged "majority of cricket fans" trying to get their revenge. What I don't want to go back to is some bloated county competition which drags on, has to many matches and most of which aren't on TV, just so each of the 18 don't feel left out.

Hope Sky tell them to **** off.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain

The problem with selling a stake in the league or teams to outside investors is that you are selling long term control of a significant chunk of the sport for short term financial gain. More specifically, if you sell off a stake it will become impossible to close down the hundred without compensating the investors, which cricket boards tend not to have the cash reserves to do.

chris.hinton

International Captain
involving national counties into a competition with a round robin group stage will always be problematic. They are amateur. Cumbria played one player to play in 3 games this year as a pro, the rest have jobs to do the previous day and the next morning. They mainly drive to games themselves. How much travelling would be involved? Counties can select the team down to availability as well as form. Cornwall used 32 players this year, Oxfordshire 33, Wales 30. Several others over 25.
Interesting points. But i would like to see some involvement with the National (Minor) countries instead of a throwaway "Showcase" match. Bring back the Natwest Trophy would be a good thing.