• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The evolution of LOIs in your lifetime

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair, lots of blokes get caught on the boundary on modern cricket precisely because it has spun. Short boundaries and huge bats mean that's the sort of distance miscues are going after batsmen are beaten in flight and then getting a leading or outside edge on a slog. Non-spinning deliveries that the batsman has read as such can usually be deposited through the line even if the batsman has been beaten in flight.

Unless the bowler is Jadhav, then it's just h4x.

Bolo

State Captain
A bit like Steve Smith. Very good without being excellent. A little underwhelming compared to their test successes.
True about Smith, but to give him his due considering you are replying to a post focusing on a WC, I'm not sure his consistency in the knockouts (ie. where it counts) of 2015 has ever been matched.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll take it back. I'd say Root, but does CW count 121 matches as a big enough sample size?
Root and Buttler will probably be there by the time they call it a day, but it's always a bit fraught with danger to try and rate current players in this way.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unless they're Kohli. I'd say he's one great WC knockout innings away from establishing himself as the ODI GOAT.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Unless they're Kohli. I'd say he's one great WC knockout innings away from establishing himself as the ODI GOAT.
Yea his ODI exploits at the moment, World Cup excepted, are making Sachin's ODI career look like he trundled through.

Having said that, if Kohli doesn't perform in WC, knockouts specifically, and India doesn't win the WC during his career (2013 doesn't really count for Kohli), we could have a Messi vs Maradona situation/debate at our hands.

trundler

Klusener is another example. Gets overlooked because he never won a world cup, though he did well in knockouts. Pollock averages 31 in knockouts also. On the flip side there are Warne and Aravinda.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I can remember this one
Me too. I wonder what happened to that Indian opener who blocked his way to 36* in 60 overs. Great WC actually.
Things didn't really change until 1992 when NZ switched things around with Greatbach opening and Crowe juggling his bowlers more than we'd seen previously. The impact of SL in 1996 has always been a bit overstated imo, as their openers had naff all to do with them winning the matches that counted. But clearly there had been a shift in mind-set by then.
And I agree with whoever it was said that the 1999 WC was one of the best ever. Maybe let down by a lame final, but the Aus vs SA semi-final was probably the greatest ODI ever.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Bring back reverse swing.

The sissy batsmen started to complain about the ball...which resulted in two balls per innings.

What a travesty. Sissy ****ers batsmen.

trundler

Surprisingly Gavaskar's SR isn't too bad for the era he played in. It's close to Greenidge and Miandad's actually. Then again, reputation based on world cup matches is all that counts.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar wasn't that great in 99 World Cup was he?

Also surprised to see that Dravid top scored that World Cup! 461 runs, a clear gulf over Steve Waugh's 398. Bizarre.
Dravid had a dream world cup. Kept scoring runs every game. Ably supported by Ganguly. Their record partnership against defending champion Sri Lanka was brutal.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surprisingly Gavaskar's SR isn't too bad for the era he played in. It's close to Greenidge and Miandad's actually. Then again, reputation based on world cup matches is all that counts.
Or even one match when it was such a memorable innings.
Conversely, I'm tempted to rate Collis King as a great ODIer due to his innings in the 1979 final, but for all I know that may have been his only worthwhile contribution.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Perhaps Warne in 99' matches him.
Fair shout. I meant as a bat though. I don't know bowlers records as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Mcgrath or Garner had something comparable as well.

He's still a bit behind AB I reckon. SR is a little more important than average, plus AB did it in a tougher era (although there is plenty of overlap). He could end up above AB, but it would take more than one WC innings to emulate ABs WC record.

Plus there is Viv. If either AB or Kohli had never played, I'd likely award the other the title of GOAT. But their coexistence weakens the argument of either.

trundler

The 3 of them along with Tendulkar would be well clear of the next best though.

It always looked like AB got himself out. That is also the impression I get from Greg Chappell.

trundler

Something else which illustrates how ODIs have changed:

England were 119 for 6 in the 20th over. Almost a run a ball despite being feet deep in ****.

Bolo

State Captain
The 3 of them along with Tendulkar would be well clear of the next best though.

It always looked like AB got himself out. That is also the impression I get from Greg Chappell.
Agree entirely. I think the 3 of them are just about as far ahead of Tendulkar as he is of whoever the number 5 bat is as well.

trundler

Agree entirely. I think the 3 of them are just about as far ahead of Tendulkar as he is of whoever the number 5 bat is as well.
Are we separated twins or something? We seem to agree on almost every cricketing opinion.

vcs

My current rating would be Richards > Tendulkar > Kohli > AB (I expect Kohli to have overtaken Sachin by the end of his career though).