• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England development squad

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
perhaps not, had he stayed injury free and continued his development i would have take him over harmison, chances of a comeback to the england side now look massively doubtful unfortunately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sad thing is it was, finally, found-out why Tudor was suffering repeated injuries. But the neccessary changes made him a far less effective bowler.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
say if he takes a large amount of wickets this season and continues to bowl well, do you think he could dislodge any of the other england seamers and get a place in the side back ? hes still reasonably young after all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
27, he is, the sort of age you hope players are peaking at.
I don't really know that he's got much of a chance - if he takes 70 wickets at 23 this season and we have the expected Ashes shocker I'd not rule-out his chances of going to Pakistan and India this winter, but frankly if there's one place I'd not like to see him bowl it's the subcontinent.
Much as I always rated him, I think his chance has probably gone now.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
My criticism wasn't of the selectors, it was of the fitness management team - if one even existed in 1995. Most fitness problems these days are solvable in some way or other. That Johnson's inability to stay fit has persisted, to such a massive extent, can have blame laid at some door or other.
You seem to be ignoring the possibility that it was fitness management which has allowed him to play as many games as he has. 25 years ago, his back injury would probably have ended his career by 1997.

Cheers,

Mike

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
quite honestly i would like to see one last hurrah from tudor as i still think he has the potential to be a test bowler. I will cross my fingers for him, and i see no reason why he wont take 70 wickets at 23, he is capable and indeed of a desirable age.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How had he cemented his place?

When the chips were down and we were struggling (up at OT vs SL) - already a bowler down through injury, we'd had the likes of Flintoff and Hoggard bowling extremely long spells without much reward. After a couple of overs, our Alex complains of being injured/tired/not bothered so the other 2 have to take the ball again and bowl another long spell.

And why do you have to bring colour into the equation?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
When the chips were down and we were struggling (up at OT vs SL) - already a bowler down through injury, we'd had the likes of Flintoff and Hoggard bowling extremely long spells without much reward. After a couple of overs, our Alex complains of being injured/tired/not bothered so the other 2 have to take the ball again and bowl another long spell.
The chips were hardly down and we were hardly struggling - the series was in the bag.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We were battling hard to get wickets against the clock, Hoggard had bowled something like 10 in a row, yet poor little Alex was too tired to bowl more than 2 before Hoggy had to be recalled.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well one could argue that due to that hoggards character was built and increased so that it allowed him to become the decent bowler that he is today :p tudor should be commended for making this happen by granting him a recall to the test side :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How had he cemented his place?

And why do you have to bring colour into the equation?
i never said he cemented his place i said he could have, when i mention colour i dont mean anything racial about it, come on marc no need to be thinking otherwise :happy:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay who are England's number 3,4,5 openers behind Strauss and Trescothich and number 2 and 3 spinners behind Giles?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Okay who are England's number 3,4,5 openers behind Strauss and Trescothich and number 2 and 3 spinners behind Giles?
1st of all mate i dont think ENG have so much openers in the county circuit who could make it at test level, for me only Michael Powell of Glamorgan comes close. But lets say in a match situation if one of the two are injured Vaughan might go & open & a middle order batsman would come in.

Behind Gilo for me is my fellow Lancastrian Keedy who has we all know could have been around the ENG setup if he was a bit better with the willow, after him i would say Swann. But according the ENG selectors see it its Gilo ->Batty->Swann

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
1 Cook, Jefferson, Key, Newman
2 Swann, Brown (although the selectors have a strange fetish about Batty)

Cook in particular looks as though he's going to be rather frustrated having to wait for Strauss and Tresco to retire before he gets the regular Test spot he would undoubtedly get sooner somewhere else (maybe not this month, but fairly soon)

Cheers,

Mike

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
aussie said:
1st of all mate i dont think ENG have so much openers in the county circuit who could make it at test level, for me only Michael Powell of Glamorgan comes close.
If you're going to tell jokes, at least make them credible or funny. This one is neither, as Powell isn't an opening batsman and isn't useless enough for the suggestion to be otherwise hilarious.

Cheers,

Mike