• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The decline of the part-time medium pacer

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else noticed this? You used to see them all the time, but now it's relatively rare. Doug Walters was probably the most well-known one we had, and was succeeded in that stead by Greg Chappell. New Zealand was always a big producer, with guys like Congdon, Coney, R Latham, Crowe (when he had younger, better knees), and Astle turning their arms over when needed. For England Woolmer, Gooch and Butcher all had the odd go. Some of them were quite useful - Ted Dexter arguably took enough wickets to be considered an allrounder, and was regularly used as third pace bowler so England could pursue their (stupid) strategy of selecting two finger spinners. Hansie Cronje was the fifth bowler in SA's ODIs quite often too. But even the more definitely 'part-time' guys like could have their moments.

Part time bowler use - both spin and pace - has certainly declined a lot in ODIs. Thicker bats, more enterprising batsmanship and two new balls is probably to blame. But you don't see part time medium pacers in tests very often either. It's always a spinner - like Root twirling away for England, or Head, Labuschagne and Smith for Australia. And while finger spin is certainly a lot less taxing than trying to bowl over over 120 km/h, I'd be surprised if slow Coney-esque medium pace was significantly more tiring than spin, especially wrist spin.

I suppose effectiveness - perceived or actual - might be a factor. You can definitely be reasonably effective in certain conditions bowling gentle finger spin, whereas it might be perceived that part-time medium pace will only be effective in conditions where you'd select sufficient fast bowling anyway. But of course than cuts against the common employment of part-time spinners in seam friendly conditions where teams have loaded up on fast bowling.

I'd also say there are more quicker bowlers around than there used to be and teams are more willing to pick them and less likely to rely on spinners outside of definitely favourable conditions. For example, Walters took his best match figures in a game in Guyana where had only Walker and Hammond to bowl fast-medium and had both of O'Keeffe and Jenner. Whereas now we'd be more likely to pick a third seamer. But I still do find it surprising how little you see it, especially in tests where there's less danger of being tonked.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I guess unless someone is regularly bowling overs in domestic cricket, it must be hard to justify giving them overs in a test match. In England’s case, Harry Brook has bowled a few sobers, but not for some time. I used to quite rate Gooch and his swing.

fredfertang

Mudassar Nazar was the GOAT of this category. Shout-out to Asif Iqbal too.
Fair comment on Mud, but a bit hard on Asif - he was a proper bowler in his youth, and only started bowling those military medium wobblers when his dodgy back ended his days as a quick - but then what a wonderful batsman he became - a very special talent :)

Anyone else noticed this? You used to see them all the time, but now it's relatively rare. Doug Walters was probably the most well-known one we had, and was succeeded in that stead by Greg Chappell. New Zealand was always a big producer, with guys like Congdon, Coney, R Latham, Crowe (when he had younger, better knees), and Astle turning their arms over when needed. For England Woolmer, Gooch and Butcher all had the odd go. Some of them were quite useful - Ted Dexter arguably took enough wickets to be considered an allrounder, and was regularly used as third pace bowler so England could pursue their (stupid) strategy of selecting two finger spinners. Hansie Cronje was the fifth bowler in SA's ODIs quite often too. But even the more definitely 'part-time' guys like could have their moments.

Part time bowler use - both spin and pace - has certainly declined a lot in ODIs. Thicker bats, more enterprising batsmanship and two new balls is probably to blame. But you don't see part time medium pacers in tests very often either. It's always a spinner - like Root twirling away for England, or Head, Labuschagne and Smith for Australia. And while finger spin is certainly a lot less taxing than trying to bowl over over 120 km/h, I'd be surprised if slow Coney-esque medium pace was significantly more tiring than spin, especially wrist spin.

I suppose effectiveness - perceived or actual - might be a factor. You can definitely be reasonably effective in certain conditions bowling gentle finger spin, whereas it might be perceived that part-time medium pace will only be effective in conditions where you'd select sufficient fast bowling anyway. But of course than cuts against the common employment of part-time spinners in seam friendly conditions where teams have loaded up on fast bowling.

I'd also say there are more quicker bowlers around than there used to be and teams are more willing to pick them and less likely to rely on spinners outside of definitely favourable conditions. For example, Walters took his best match figures in a game in Guyana where had only Walker and Hammond to bowl fast-medium and had both of O'Keeffe and Jenner. Whereas now we'd be more likely to pick a third seamer. But I still do find it surprising how little you see it, especially in tests where there's less danger of being tonked.
I don’t see why military medium can’t make a comeback in limited overs cricket where the slower pace in theory makes it harder to get away, someone like Paul Collingwood (though I guess he was a borderline all-rounder in white ball cricket) who could swing the ball could be particularly useful

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Batsman’s attacking skills have increased by a lot, and these type of military medium pacers are exactly the kind who will get mauled.

The bats don’t have anything to do with it, there is no significant changes in bats from late 90s to now, Sachin carried a bigger bat than Kohli.

I don’t see any military medium bowler being successful these days maybe apart from bowling on terrible pitches.

Bolo.

International Captain
Batsman’s attacking skills have increased by a lot, and these type of military medium pacers are exactly the kind who will get mauled.

The bats don’t have anything to do with it, there is no significant changes in bats from late 90s to now, Sachin carried a bigger bat than Kohli.

I don’t see any military medium bowler being successful these days maybe apart from bowling on terrible pitches.
Medium pacers bowl the fewest bad balls.

Bats used to mainly go after the bad balls. Even in LOs to a fair extent. Not the case anymore. A ball isn't going to get respect simply for being put in a good area.

greg

International Debutant

Sweet spots not got bigger and less of a link between bat weight and hitting power? Although generally I’d suggest it was more about the pitches and the ever encroaching boundaries…. Also I guess (in ODIs) the big change on playing with two balls)

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
It's still very prevalent in domestic cricket at least in the UK. I mean just look at the career of Darren Stevens. Not sure why it has gone out of vogue at the international level.

HeathDavisSpeed

Loved a bit of the dibble and the dobble. Gooch and Butcher's bowling were particular favourites. I blame Ronnie Irani for the decline in the dibble and, indeed, the dobble.

thierry henry

International Coach
Given the noted decrease in run scoring in tests in the last decade or so following the excesses of the 2000s, and the relative success of quick bowlers, it's a little bit surprising medium pacers haven't been more prominent on friendly pitches.

As mentioned, CDG is probably the closest there's been to a proper medium pacer playing a prominent role in an attack - but he was being selected as a genuine all-rounder so doesn't quite fit the brief.

I wonder if faster scoring rates and a change in attitude from "dig in on a green top" to "hit out because there's one coming with your name on it" is part of it? In seam friendly conditions, average innings length has probably reduced and there's accordingly less need to turn to second tier bowling options.

I have a really specific memory of Astle bowling in a low-ish scoring test win against England at Eden Park in 2002. I don't think he took a lot of wickets, but the ball was seaming a bit and he was given a decent spell because he was probably the most accurate bowler we had and would constantly hit the seam and bowl top-of-off.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Sides are much more willing to go with four seamers these days as well. It was considered a new idea when the Windies did it back in the late 70s, and it was rare for anyone else to give it a try outside of Perth and maybe Headingley in June. With keepers expected to average 35 and be able to bat at 6, lots of sides pick four genuine seam bowlers.

Other proponents were Gurusinha, Wavell Hinds, and Hamilton Masakadza.

NZ could once pick a 4-6 of Astle, McMillan and Styris, with Oram at 7 and Harris lurking in reserve... with Ryder following shortly after the first two retired.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
The international level just has more people selected who are able to bowl at least 130 km/h consistently, which is a better prospect for all conditions in general.
And the conditions in county cricket that medium pacers fill their boots in are far rarer in test cricket.