• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian team - A disgrace to the game

biased indian

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Warne's ban was temporary but Azhar's is permanent. Both committed crimes against the game, but Azhar's was a far higher level conviction.
so if two people does crime one is sentnced for life and other for one year
during their serving period both are in jail and are criminals whats the differance mate :-O :-O

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
biased indian said:
so if two people does crime one is sentnced for life and other for one year
during their serving period both are in jail and are criminals whats the differance mate :-O :-O
Two different crimes. Not saying whether I agree with it or not, but that's likely the ICCs stance and it's understandable.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Waughney said:
I thought the same thing until I read what he said again: "If a non-white cricketer calls a white cricketer a "white ....""
He could've worded it better....
Ah the power of a hyphen. It makes things so much clearer...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Two different crimes. Not saying whether I agree with it or not, but that's likely the ICCs stance and it's understandable.
Precisely - match fixing players should never be allowed near a ground again where they could influence current players.

I think it's just someone's attempt to discredit Shane Warne (again) by over-hyping his offence to something it wasn't (ie a drugs test)

Legglancer

State Regular
Linda said:
Its such a generalisation to say that Australians and South Africans are sledgers and the rest are innocent. What is it that would cause this if it were true? There is nothing.
Doesnt anyone get tired of hearing 'its a gentlemen's game?' Sure, maybe it was a while back, but when money, pressure and fame accompany that game, things aren't always peachy keen.
Its definitely not fair to say that the rest of the teams are innocent .... but its quite apparent that some Australian and SA players are the worst of the lot. ....

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Hard Harry said:
It's interesting to note how some people here seem to think that racism is the exclusive domain of those with white skin. Guess what? It isn't.
I agree.. however so far as cricket is concerned, I do not recollect any incident where a non-white player, ok make that asian player has been found guilty of racism, apart from the suspected comments by Moin Khan....
Also, I would be inclined to keep racism and sledging separate wherever possible. I have read accounts of tours to India in the 60s. the major english players would find some excuse not to tour.. that to me is racism whereas, the aussies, all of them toured..they played hard and won. i don't think they homilies on the ground, but that is definitely acceptable. and this is when the aussies were whupping the pommies.....

Linda

International Vice-Captain
There are a couple of Aussies, a couple of South Africans, a couple of Indians, a couple of Pakistanis.... ect ect ect. Its the same anywhere, not just cricket. Some are loud and obnoxious, some are not.

And very true what Viktor said, its important we keep sledging and racism apart. Sledging IMO is ok and part of the game, racism is 100% definately not.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Linda said:
There are a couple of Aussies, a couple of South Africans, a couple of Indians, a couple of Pakistanis.... ect ect ect. Its the same anywhere, not just cricket. Some are loud and obnoxious, some are not.

And very true what Viktor said, its important we keep sledging and racism apart. Sledging IMO is ok and part of the game, racism is 100% definately not.
Agree with it 100%

For the record:
Aussies do sledge the most, but are definitely not a disgrace.. Although I personally don't like their attitude.. its understandable wht they (note: not Racism)..
If Indians were sledging etc.. I wouldn't see any problems with it.. I was actually very pleased with Ganguly's attitude and behaviour on/off field towards opponents.. so I guess everyone is biased towards his/her team..

Mr Mxyzptlk

The reason that the Australians tend to sledge more is as a bit of a challenge. The Aussies are the most mentally tough team in world cricket and they're daring the opposition to retaliate, as they are confident that they won't be rattled by it. The sayin is 'don't dish it out if you can't take it'. Australia can take it.

biased indian

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The reason that the Australians tend to sledge more is as a bit of a challenge. The Aussies are the most mentally tough team in world cricket and they're daring the opposition to retaliate, as they are confident that they won't be rattled by it. The sayin is 'don't dish it out if you can't take it'. Australia can take it.
ya like martyn when pathan clapped on his face instead of being mentally tough and takeing it in the right spirit he was looking at the umpire and complaining

Langeveldt

Soutie
biased indian said:
ya like martyn when pathan clapped on his face instead of being mentally tough and takeing it in the right spirit he was looking at the umpire and complaining
But the aussies under Ponting have strived to clean up their image, Pathan knows that and I very much doubt you would see one of them clapping a guy in his face these days. He was in the wrong, not Martyn, who had not provoked anything at all..

As for taking it in the right spirit, after watching it live I probably would have wrapped my bat around Pathans big head. So Martyn did very well in keeping his cool..

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Langeveldt said:
But the aussies under Ponting have strived to clean up their image, Pathan knows that
this is absurd. do you really think a 19 year old touring first time with the senior side knows (or should know) about the in's and out's of opositions management policies.
after watching it live I probably would have wrapped my bat around Pathans big head...
others did watch it live aswell particularly the commentators and they clearly had different opinion to yours, so you'd have to be a bit unstable to feel what you did.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm a big defender of sledging (when it doesn't cross certain boundaries, of course), but even being an Australian fan, I can acknowledge the numerous examples that suggest that the Aussies actually don't take it very well, at all. When you're on top, it's easier to say this (because you win a lot), but a number of teams have been able to niggle the Aussies extremely successfully.

Truth is, no one actually "takes it" that well. That's why it's effective.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
But the aussies under Ponting have strived to clean up their image, Pathan knows that and I very much doubt you would see one of them clapping a guy in his face these days. He was in the wrong, not Martyn, who had not provoked anything at all..
It might be true that Ponting has strived to clean up their image (although I don't think that actually pertains to garden-variety sledging and provocation), but this doesn't change the fact that, as biased indian pointed out, Martyn didn't "take it" (in terms of Pathan's behaviour) real well.