• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Clarke is Australia's Kallis. Excellent in a weaker team, but scores too slowly for an ATG one.
he was not unlike Kallis if you see his World Cup performances the strike rate was more than 90, he was better at increasing the speed of scoring compared to Kallis and also a Good part time bowler. But Dean Jones and Dennis Lillee were great in their times.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
World Cup Performance
JH Kallis (SA)1996-2011363271148128*45.92154374.401928613
MJ Clarke (AUS)2007-20152521788893*63.4294394.16-8-8511

You can see Clarke Strike Rate in World Cup
If you are selecting for WCs rather than ODIs, then Clarke is probably fair game. It's a really good record even if does involve a lot of minnow bashing. Not as good as the numbers make it seem in relation to Kallis as scoring changed a lot by era. But Kallis was pretty poor in WCs anyway.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
If you are selecting for WCs rather than ODIs, then Clarke is probably fair game. It's a really good record even if does involve a lot of minnow bashing. Not as good as the numbers make it seem in relation to Kallis as scoring changed a lot by era. But Kallis was pretty poor in WCs anyway.
Clarke was good against good teams played the role of No 4 very well. It was not a minnow bashing. He is underrated as he was playing a supporting role of No4 for powerful top order of Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting.

Bolo.

Clarke was good against good teams played the role of No 4 very well. It was not a minnow bashing. He is underrated as he was playing a supporting role of No4 for powerful top order of Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting.
Averaging 76 @ 103 in WCs is a fair bit of minnow bashing. I'm not saying he wasn't good against quality opposition as well.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Averaging 76 @ 103 in WCs is a fair bit of minnow bashing. I'm not saying he wasn't good against quality opposition as well.
In 2007 World Cup he scored 92 of 75 balls vs RSA, 41 (47) vs WI, 55 (63) vs Eng, 23 (31) vs SL, 49 (46) vs NZ so he was consistently good against big teams on the other hand Mike Hussey was a disaster.

Bolo.

In 2007 World Cup he scored 92 of 75 balls vs RSA, 41 (47) vs WI, 55 (63) vs Eng, 23 (31) vs SL, 49 (46) vs NZ so he was consistently good against big teams on the other hand Mike Hussey was a disaster.
This has nothing to do with minnows bashing. Both can be true. He's 51@89 against top 8, which is still very good.

Anyway, this whole conversation is based on the assumption that you were picking an ODI team. If I had known you were picking a WC team, I wouldn't be objecting to his inclusion.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Jones was one of the best ODI batters of all time. He was the best in the world from about 1987-1991. It is very close between Jones, Bevan, and Ponting to decide Australia's best ever ODI bat. He was well ahead of Clarke.

In my opinion, Hussey and G Chappell were also better than Clarke while Steve Smith and Lehmann are/were about the same (or possibly better in Smith's case).

Last edited:

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Dean Jones was one of the best ODI batters of all time. He was the best in the world from about 1987-1991. It is very close between Jones, Bevan, and Ponting to decide Australia's best ever ODI bat. He was well ahead of Clarke.

In my opinion, Hussey and G Chappell were also better than Clarke while Steve Smith and Lehmann are/were about the same (or possibly better in Smith's case).
I think as Dean Jones outperformed others in his time he should be included.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Australia XI vs Aliens
1) Gilchrist +
2) Watson
3) Ponting
4) Jones
5) Symonds
6) Bevan
7) Maxwell
8) Lee
9) Warne
10) Starc
11) McGrath

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Australia XI vs Aliens
1) Gilchrist +
2) Watson
3) Ponting
4) Jones
5) Symonds
6) Bevan
7) Maxwell
8) Lee
9) Warne
10) Starc
11) McGrath
And if all 11 get injured they could also pick this team which is still very good

1) Warner
2) Hayden
3) M. Waugh
4) G. Chappell
5) Clarke/Lehmann
6) M. Hussey
7) Haddin
8) B. Hogg
9) Johnson
10) Lillee
11) Bracken

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Regular
And if all 11 get injured they could also pick this team which is still very good

1) Warner
2) Hayden
3) M. Waugh
4) G. Chappell
5) Clarke/Lehmann
6) M. Hussey
7) Haddin
8) B. Hogg
9) Johnson
10) Lillee
11) Bracken
The team needs another bowling option better than Clarke, or else Chappell and Waugh are way over bowling in this level. Mitch Marsh seems logical to bat at 6, Clarke is too slow to bat at 5 and Hussey anyways kinda feels a little waste at 6.