• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket, white balls, and artificial lighting

Pick the statement you believe:

• All test cricket should switch to a white ball with the possibility of night play

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do people think if the recent Aust vs. NZ test was day/night the crowds would have been better?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This is a very interesting topic.

I would like to see Test cricket stay with a red ball and preferably with day light. However, I do feel they go off to quickly for bad light when the lights are on. I mean whats the point of having the lights on if they're only going to keep you on if the light isn't great. But I definitely think they should keep the red ball. White balls often stop swing after a few deliveries now.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Would need to be a pink ball for me. Couldn't have a white ball with the players wearing their whites and test cricket in pyjamas is a step too far.
Throw in some of those complimentary chicken Kebabs they sometimes give in Indian hotels and its a go

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I'm not against day-tests at all but for me, a consistent period of tighter contests with ebbing and flowing between teams, bat & ball would do far more for test cricket.

Swing-ier balls, longer lasting seams, DRS, faster deteriorating pitches with more grass 5th day inconsistent bounce & umpiring that's less sympathetic to the batsmen (wrt things like light & LBW). That's what'll make matches tighter. Forget eliminating periods of low scoring, convert them into high pressure situations that force the defending team to try to take the initiative or inevitably lose a wicket.

D/N tests will probably spike attendance for a bit and then it'll normalise again. It'll may help to draw in the less fanatic fan, who won't take leave from work to go to a test match. We'll have to see.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Except for the fact that not every innings starts in the morning/afternoon? :p
If its a night session, start with a pink and when the new ball comes in tomorrow, revert to red? They are prety much the same colour, just ones more visible than the other.