• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Both Broad and Anderson are outstanding bowlers but what really sets them apart is their longevity.

They're not alone in that of course, plenty of others have achieved the same - McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh.

The physical and mental strength to do that is astonishing.

Broad and Anderson at their best aren't quite at the very top table of pace bowlers, but they're not far off it and that with their longevity means they have been unbelievable servants to English cricket.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just looked the stats up and Ambrose played more tests than Hadlee and only 6 fewer than Wasim 🤝
I meant in terms of years. Hadlee went on for 17 years. He also played 86/100 tests available to him in his career which is exceptional durability. Akram played for 17 years as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson is better than Broad, but when Broad is on (and I mean seriously on) there’s very few bowlers from history you’d rather have. But others are more reliable.

Maybe like they used to say about Pietersen - a bowler of great spells rather than a great bowler. Though I think that understates Broad slightly.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Broad is a legend. Would have been England's greatest ever bowler had it not been for Anderson.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Both Broad and Anderson are outstanding bowlers but what really sets them apart is their longevity.

They're not alone in that of course, plenty of others have achieved the same - McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh.

The physical and mental strength to do that is astonishing.

Broad and Anderson at their best aren't quite at the very top table of pace bowlers, but they're not far off it and that with their longevity means they have been unbelievable servants to English cricket.
I mean their stats in their first 50 tests is not great and that's quite a large volume of tests..A guy like Peter Siddle for example, found himself in and out of the Aussie Test Side and he had a better bowling average than Anderson and Broad after 50 Tests ..
Had they played for sides who played less Test Cricket than England with more competition for places , I doubt they would have had the careers they have now ..

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I mean their stats in their first 50 tests is not great and that's quite a large volume of tests..A guy like Peter Siddle for example, found himself in and out of the Aussie Test Side and he had a better bowling average than Anderson and Broad after 50 Tests ..
Had they played for sides who played less Test Cricket than England with more competition for places , I doubt they would have had the careers they have now ..
You're probably right - particularly with Jimmy. For whatever reason, it took him a long time to get to grips with test cricket.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
You're probably right - particularly with Jimmy. For whatever reason, it took him a long time to get to grips with test cricket.
In saying that , they deserve their success for being such ultimate professionals , I mean look at Ollie Robinson with his talent he could have made his debut atleast 6 or seven years ago .

Molehill

International Captain
In saying that , they deserve their success for being such ultimate professionals , I mean look at Ollie Robinson with his talent he could have made his debut atleast 6 or seven years ago .
Bowlers mature at different stages, you could say the same for Boland.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He turns up every ashes series and performs. People say he’s more hit or miss than the other bloke, but they swap roles in Ashes series

loterry1994

International Debutant
Lol people still think Jimmy over Broad? Jimmy didn’t even have the guts to put himself on and bowl for the win