• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
Smith, but only just and requiring some degree of wilful ignorance of longevity on my part.

Coronis

International Coach
Still hesitant to rate Smith against others he is closely comparable to until his career is ended - the same was true of Steyn (I knew I’d have him top 5 pacers of all time but not where I’d exactly place him).

Likely will end up being Smith, both right around 5ish.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Smith is the BBB, unless he messes up in some way which puts into question his whole approach to being this dominant, which yes it would be possible to have happen.

Slifer

International Captain
More consistent than Lara, undisputed best of his time and better across countries. Slightly more assured against pace IMO and has mega series like Lara as well.

Caveat is that Smith's career isn't finished. Another couple of bad years and then I might think about Lara.
So then I assume you'd rank him above Sachin as well since he's equally as consistent, great against all countries, assured vs pace and spin but has monster series unlike Sachin.

subshakerz

International Coach
So then I assume you'd rank him above Sachin as well since he's equally as consistent, great against all countries, assured vs pace and spin but has monster series unlike Sachin.
Sachin has longevity and better technique advantages over Lara which makes it closer with Smith, and he also played a higher proportion against better pacers than Smith.

If Smith has another great couple of years I would put him over Sachin.

Slifer

International Captain
Sachin has longevity and better technique advantages over Lara which makes it closer with Smith, and he also played a higher proportion against better pacers than Smith.

If Smith has another great couple of years I would put him over Sachin.
Fair enough. Just wanted to pick your brain. Reasonable answer.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
More consistent than Lara, undisputed best of his time and better across countries. Slightly more assured against pace IMO and has mega series like Lara as well.

Caveat is that Smith's career isn't finished. Another couple of bad years and then I might think about Lara.
Steve Smith has scored 500+ runs in Test series 4 times. Brian Lara scored 500+ runs in Test series 7 times.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm not a fan of using undisputed best to mean much. Warne would easily be undisputed best in any other era. This title assumes two greats can't coincide. Not a big thing. But it's still a thing.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm not a fan of using undisputed best to mean much. Warne would easily be undisputed best in any other era. This title assumes two greats can't coincide. Not a big thing. But it's still a thing.
Well, in Smiths case, rather than competing, he was a level ahead of a peak Kohli in the title of best batsman of the world. So it does mean something.

Coronis

International Coach
Well, in Smiths case, rather than competing, he was a level ahead of a peak Kohli in the title of best batsman of the world. So it does mean something.
Its not meaningless but requires context. e.g If you had someone dominating their era are they better than someone who wasn’t dominant or were there just less high quality players playing at that time.

e.g Steyn vs 80’s/90’s pacers