• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa in Bangladesh: Two Test Series, 21-25 Oct, 29 Oct-2 Nov

sayon basak

International 12th Man
Taijul Islam definitely has one of the biggest discrepancies between home and away of any bowler with 200+ wickets. Over 20 fewer runs paid for each of his home scalps, and over 80% of the overall total.

View attachment 42079

I don't intend this as criticism, just a notable feature. It's pretty much the same record as Abdul Qadir, who I think takes the record with a home average 20.76 runs better than his away one.

View attachment 42080

I think that's the biggest gap - though I haven't checked them all.
It's actually pretty obvious I guess. Taijul is a very condition-reliant bowler, who relies on the spin and bounce that the pitch has to offer. I would say that this is pretty much visible from his bowling itself.

Although a very hard working one, I'd say he has the least amount of variations in his armory. In fact, I've never actually seen him bowl the arm ball.

Last edited:

sayon basak

International 12th Man
Btw, these are the bowlers that have highest home average minus away average:-
IMG_20241021_212447.jpg
Abdul Qadir is 6th in this list.

And among the bowlers whose home average is greater, Frank worrell has the highest average (31.678).

Taijul doesn't qualify for the list, because he hasn't bowled 3000 deliveries overseas (only 1871).

Qualifications:-
1. 3000 deliveries bowled away from home.
2. 3000 deliveries bowled at home.
3. At least 90 deliveries bowled per match.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Danny Morrison is a pretty interesting example. The Chris Woakes of his era it seems. You would have expected a bowler of his ilk to do okay in England at least, especially given the calibre of England sides of the era.

SeamUp

International Coach
Oh no Jack was a freaking nightmare ,but sadly very injury prone..We had a few like that in the 90's but he was my favorite in the domestic scene
Little short man with anger issues 🤣 Charged in. Him & Snell peppered a few batsman at the Wanderers.

Decent era before the post isolation quicks came along.

Donald
Van Zyl
Snell
Jack
De Villiers
Bosch
Elworthy
Bryson
Schultz
Pringle
Matthews
Rawson
Simons

Northerner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Massive underachievers post re-admisson Test XI ?

1.Aiden Markram
2.Jacques Rudolph
3.Martin Van Jaarsveld
4.Dale Benkenstein
5.JP Duminy
6.Rilee Rossouw
7.Heinrich Klaasen (WK)
8.Wayne Parnell
9.Simon Harmer
10.Kyle Abbott
11.Steven Jack
I think Van Jaarsveld and Jack both got a raw deal from the selectors. both could have and should have had more tests, although for Jack, it was how and where to fit him in,

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
I think Van Jaarsveld and Jack both got a raw deal from the selectors. both could have and should have had more tests, although for Jack, it was how and where to fit him in,
The saddest for me is Harmer ..

For 20 odd years we battled in international cricket with bang average redball spinners , had Harmer been a cricketer from the 90's he would have played 100+ test matches..

I believe he is nearing 1000 FC wickets now.