• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
van der Merwe >>> Robbie P, IMHO.
I would have agreed with you about 2 years ago but these 2 players have gone in opposite directions since then.

VdM has bowled bull**** for quite a while now and when he returns to domestic cricket he bowls bull**** again and doesn't even play 4-day cricket. He just darts them in and also he can't bat (i.e. slogger).

Robbie P is a much improved cricketer and I have been one of his harshest critics but he has improved over the last 2 years. He can bat properly and clear the ropes and so can bat 7 and is not afraid to give the ball some flight. He has had a decentish stint at Derby so it will be interesting to see how he goes for the Cobras this season.

SeamUp

International Coach
I am kind of excited to see the performance of Elgar. Is he as good a player or its just the form?
Elgar is not the most flamboyant of player tbh but is destined to play for the Proteas and has been ever since he was SA U19 captain and player of the year. He is brillaint at manipulating the ball into gaps and pounces on the short ball from the quicks and using his feet to the spinners.

Probably is the long-term option to be Proteas test captain.

The player he most reminds me of is Justin Langer and they both suffer from short-man syndrome.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I see KP is coming back home to play two 4-day games for the Dolphins between 7-17 October.

I think the Dolphins needed it, especially with Hash and Dave being away with the Proteas most probably.

It will be interesting to see a Gulam Bodi & KP confrontation. :laugh:

akilana

International 12th Man
SA's lower middle order is up for grab in both forms of the game. Would be interesting.

SeamUp

International Coach
McLaren is seriously overrated
You know what my view point on him is.

BUT for a while now...he has been an absolute joke for a bowler. I would rather have Vernon Philander as the steady medium-pacer and that says something. Because at least Philander's bowling and getting wickets and scoring runs.

McLaren is bowling 131kmph and Philander has jumped up a notch to 140kpmh with his accuracy.

Many of the top domestic batsman like Van Jaarsveld, Elgar and Rossouw have said he is one of the toughest they have faced on the domestic scene because of the length he hits.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah but Philander is worth about 25 runs to the opposition in the field.
:ph34r::laugh:

Absolute shocker in that T20 WC.

I think the reason he is bowling faster is that he is fitter now.

Lets just hope Corrie (who is big on fitness) will let him know what he has to do to get into the SA team because I would arguably go with 4 seamers attimes in the series and at the moment he is bowling really well.

To me Elgar is chasing Petersen's position this season and Philander is chasing the 3rd or 4th seamer spot (pity De Wet got injured though). Harris is a fighter and I'm sure he will step-up for the Newlands test match.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
:ph34r::laugh:

Absolute shocker in that T20 WC.

I think the reason he is bowling faster is that he is fitter now.

Lets just hope Corrie (who is big on fitness) will let him know what he has to do to get into the SA team because I would arguably go with 4 seamers attimes in the series and at the moment he is bowling really well.

To me Elgar is chasing Petersen's position this season and Philander is chasing the 3rd or 4th seamer spot (pity De Wet got injured though). Harris is a fighter and I'm sure he will step-up for the Newlands test match.

Yeah time to stop the Duminy experiment and put Prince back to his rightful 6.

Smith
Elgar
Amla
Kallis
AB
Prince
looks pretty solid to me.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah time to stop the Duminy experiment and put Prince back to his rightful 6.

Smith
Elgar
Amla
Kallis
AB
Prince
looks pretty solid to me.
Thats what they did in the Windies. The only difference being Petersen in for Elgar.

Taips, you know they're going to give Petersen more time though. Elgar must just keep knocking on the door and when he gets the opportunity...he must grab it with both hands.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Thats what they did in the Windies. The only difference being Petersen in for Elgar.

Taips, you know they're going to give Petersen more time though. Elgar must just keep knocking on the door and when he gets the opportunity...he must grab it with both hands.

Yeah I know, but Elga's stats on the "A" team tour are pretty impressive

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah I know, but Elga's stats on the "A" team tour are pretty impressive
They are damn impressive. Andrew Hudson would definitely have noticed it. JP Duminy will also have to wait his turn now and score runs domestically. You add all the other young batting talent we have and things are looking good.

You know I once brought up the article on that young chinaman bowler from Affies named Thomas Kaber who played SA u19 when he was 16???

Did you seem yesterday in that all-stars vs combined schools game?? He looked a superb talent. I didn't know which way it was going to turn. He had a full bag of tricks. So it seems we have 2 top class chinaman bowlers coming through (the other being Tabraiz Shamsi). I think its good for our test team in the future. Gets an attacking option on the spinners front and it still allows a left-arm spinner to create wear and tear on the pitch with footmarks.

A good young batsman named Chad Bowes looked impressive as well. Got 68 off 36 balls. He is from Kearsney College, down Durban way.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yep, there is some good stuff coming through all right. England must be licking their lips
I was watching the one cricket show with HD Ackerman and Kepler Wessels and they said that due to the new rules in place in England and certain steps that CSA have taken...there will be minimal talented young players leaving SA...if any.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
I was watching the one cricket show with HD Ackerman and Kepler Wessels and they said that due to the new rules in place in England and certain steps that CSA have taken...there will be minimal talented young players leaving SA...if any.
So where does that leave Rikki Wessels? Stuck in Zimboland?

SeamUp

International Coach
So where does that leave Rikki Wessels? Stuck in Zimboland?
Haha, lets not get started on the Wessels family.

Riki would get nowhere near our domestic scene and he knows it. He is probably officialy now a Zimbo.

So what passport is he on these days, Taips??? :laugh:

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Haha, lets not get started on the Wessels family.

Riki would get nowhere near our domestic scene and he knows it. He is probably officialy now a Zimbo.

So what passport is he on these days, Taips??? :laugh:
Probably still on his Aussie one.

SeamUp

International Coach
EASTERN CAPE WARRIORS

THE Chevrolet Warriors cricket franchise’s General Motors sponsorship has been extended for a further three years.

The sponsorship agreement is worth R8.7 million and comes after the most successful season ever in which two trophies were won.

During the summer, support in the Eastern Cape for the Warriors reached incredible heights and attendances at matches increased significantly.

“Chevrolet is delighted to extend the association with the Chevrolet Warriors for a further three-year period,” said Tim Hendon, brand manager for GM South Africa.

“The winning culture of the Chevrolet Warriors has led to considerable success on the sports field in the last three years.

“We are confident that the Warriors will continue their winning ways as we enter this new period of our partnership.”

Dave Emslie, CEO of the franchise was most upbeat about recent developments.

“Our association with Chevrolet is one that is envied by many in the sports industry. Not only do we have a sponsor who is willing to put money into the franchise but they are also great partners in activating this sponsorship. A significant activation programme is put together each year which allows the team to interact with fans around the country. We look forward to another great season with Chevrolet.”

The sponsorship supports the High Performance centres for amateur players within the Eastern Cape’s feeder areas – a vital cog in grooming players for the franchise.

Most of the players within the franchise enhanced their considerable reputations through some excellent play, particularly in the MTN 40-over and Standard Bank Pro20 series in which the trophies were won.

Left-handed batsman Colin Ingram in particular had an excellent season and won the Most Valued Player (MVP) award – a great honour for the modest player. This award for limited-overs games takes into account the fitness of the player as well as his contributions on the field.

Other Warriors who were ranked include JJ Smuts (6), Justin Kreusch (10), Rusty Theron (19), Craig Thyssen (24), Davy Jacobs (27), Johan Botha (29), Michael Smith (35), Corbyn Dolley (37), Lyall Meyer (39), Arno Jacobs (42) and Garnett Kruger (47).

“We are thrilled that the players have done so well on the MVP programme. This programme has shown once again that the players take seriously all aspects of their careers. The fact that the rankings are made up of an on-field and off-field component is very important as it prepares players for life after cricket,” Emslie said.

The Warriors squad for the 2010/11 season has also been announced.

In keeping with he philosophy of nurturing home grown talent, Border batsman Bevan Bennett has been contracted after a fine season back in Border colours.

Fast bowler Sinethemba Mjekula, who missed most of last season because of injury, is included as is talented SA U19 allrounder, Jerry Nqolo, who gains a rookie contract. The EP’s Kelly Smuts, another rookie, joins his brother Jon Jon in the ranks as well.

Port Elizabeth paceman Reece Williams and former Titans express bowler Basheer Walters have been added to the squad.

As Standard Bank Pro20 champions, the Warriors will participate pre-season in the Champions League in September which will be held in South Africa before going into the domestic season proper.

Warriors 2010/11 contracted squad: Andrew Birch, Bevan Bennett, Nicky Boje, Darryl Brown, Corbyn Dolley (semi-pro category), Colin Ingram, Arno Jacobs, Davy Jacobs, Justin Kreusch, Garnett Kruger, Lyall Meyer, Sinethemba Mjekula, Jerry Nqolo, Siya Ntshona (semi-pro category), Michael Smith, Jon Jon Smuts, Kelly Smuts, Craig Thyssen, Basheer Walters, Reece Williams.

BEST SCHOOLBOY TALENTS: James Price (St. Andrews College) & Lionel Vaaltyn (Woodridge College).

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
KZN DOLPHINS

line with the strategic decision to blood the next group of young and talented cricketers, the Nashua Dolphins released the names of their contracted players for the 2010/2011 season. The franchise is proud to announce that seven of the ten new recruits are home-grown KZN talent.

The squad is as follows:

NASHUA DOLPHINS CONTRACTED SQUAD 2010/2011 SEASON

Hashim Amla – CSA Contract

Loots Bosman – CSA Contract

Quinton Friend

David Miller

Yusuf Abdulla

Daryn Smit

Ahmed Amla

Imraan Khan

Jon Kent

Bradley Barnes

*Khaya Zondo

*Imran Tahir

*Cameron Delport

*Kyle Abbott

*Mthokozisi Shezi

*Kershav Maharaj

*Tabraiz Shamsi

*Devon Conway

*Cody Chetty - Rookie

*Matthew Hulett - Rookie

*Players marked with a star are new recruits

BEST SCHOOLBOY TALENTS
: Chad Bowes (Kearsney College) & Calvin Savage & Darren Dupavillon ( both Maritzburg College).

“I am extremely excited with this group of young players. In order for the Dolphins to close the gaps with the other franchises, we have to identify and develop the best young talent in South Africa. This is our intention with this very young squad commented Jesse Chellan, CEO of KZNCU.

Imran Tahir is a significant signing for the Dolphins. He is an attacking leg spinner, capable of match winning performances against the very best batting lineups. He also bring valuable experience and is expected to lead the spin bowling attack. Imran is married to a local Durban girl, and we look forward to a long and successful relationship with him.

The majority of this group has played for either SA U19 or SA Schools, showing that they have the pedigree and potential to excel at franchise level. Outside of Imran Tahir, the average age of the new group of contracted players is 19.

Previous press releases had indicated that Ruan Pietersen was contracted to the Dolphins, however subsequently he has retired from all forms of cricket based on medical advice that he has recently received.

Under the expert guidance of Graham Ford (Head Coach), Simon Sakhele (Provincial Coach) and Lance Klusener and Richard Pybus (Consultant Coaches), we expect to develop match winners and future Proteas, to complement our existing squad members, taking the Nashua Dolphins back to the top of domestic cricket

In terms of our existing squad, we have a core group of experienced campaigners. Almost all have represented either the Proteas or SA A, so again their pedigree and talent is without question.

Outside of the contracted squad, there are other club and provincial players (from Durban and PMB) that will be involved in the Dolphins winter programme. Jesse highlighted, “ I want to make it absolutely clear that these players are still in the running to be selected for the Dolphins. We are casting our net wide and those that perform consistently will be given a fair chance.”

Coach, Graham Ford commented that there is a real focus on developing youngsters who display the necessary attitudinal qualities and the cricketing potential to become top performers at franchise level. We have identified a number of such players and hope to identify more during the intense Winter Program which begins on 3 May 2010. We will go into next season with a very young squad but I do believe that with the right guidance, support and opportunities, these lads will learn quickly and in time, develop into a team capable of winning trophies.

Our challenge is to harness the exuberance of youth and temperate it with a dash of experience, to develop a match winning team. The challenge is significant but given time and a unity of purpose, I have no doubt that we are on the track back to success” said Jesse Chellan, CEO of KZNCU.

Last edited: