• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
I thought I would start off with some of the major transfers.Only the talented players from amateur ranks will be mentioned.

COBRAS

IN: Dane Vilas (Lions), Yaseen Vallie (amateur)

OUT: Henry Davids (Titans)

WARRIORS

IN: Basheer Walters (Titans), Kelly Smuts (amateur)

DOLPHINS

IN: Tabraiz Shamsi (Lions), Devon Conway (Lions), Imran Tahir (Titans), Mthokozisi Shezi (amateur), Keshav Maharaj (amateur)

KNIGHTS (Used to be EAGLES)

IN: Gino Vries (amateur), Obus Pienaar (amateur)

OUT: CJ De Villiers (Titans)

LIONS

IN: Paul Harris (Titans), Ethan O'Reilly (amateur), Aaron Phangiso (amateur)

OUT: Dane Vilas (Cobras), Devon Conway (Dolphins), Tabraiz Shamsi (Dolphins)

TITANS

IN: Henry Davids (Cobras), CJ De Villiers (Knights), Hardus Viljoen (amateur), Shaun von Berg (amateur)

OUT: Paul Harris (Lions), Imran Tahir (Dolphins)

FULL SQUAD RELEASES WILL BE AT A LATER DATE.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also a congratulations must go out to various teams representing South Africa this off-season.

Once again our emerging team has won the tournament and as this was a weaker than usual side due to our 'A' team being in Sri Lanka, it shows you that the depth in SA cricket is good.

Stand out performers were Davey Jacobs and Colin Ingram with the bat. Craig Alexander and Baseer Walters impressed with the ball.

The 'A' side beat BGD 2-0 (2 tests) in BGD and drew 0-0 (2 tests) against SRL. Dean Elgar really impressed in Sri Lank by scoring 2 centuries and 2 fifties in 4 knocks with a top-score of 174.

The 'A' 1-day side side won a tri series a few months ago in Bangladesh involving West Indies as the 3rd side. They are now in the final of the current tri-series involving SRL and PAK and went unbeaten in the round-robin stages.

Probable 'A' one-day squad at the beginning of the season ahead of the WC and pushing for places at the WC.

1. Heino Kuhn (wk)
2. Rilee Rossouw
3. Colin Ingram
4. Dean Elgar (Cpt)
5. David Miller
6. Justin Kemp
7. Robin Peterson
8. Vernon Philander
9. Rory Kleinveldt/ CJ De Villiers/ Francois Plaatjies
10. Rusty Theron
11. Thandi Tshabalala

The fringe players in the current team like JP Duminy, Alviro Petersen, Albie Morkel, Ryan McLaren, Roelof Van der Merwe, Paul Harris, Lonwabo Tsotsobe will be competing with these players.

Jacques Rudolph has stressed that he would like to put on the green and gold again so I'm not sure if he will continue with Yorkshire or not.

SeamUp

International Coach
YOUNGSTERS TO WATCH

Theres the obvious bunch and I think they've been around for a while now and hence they're in the SA 'A' tem now...the likes of Elgar, Rossouw, Miller and so on. Obvously theres Vandiar, Van Zyl and others as well.

2 rookies to watch are...

1.) TABRAIZ SHAMSI...20 year-old chinaman bowler who had a brilliant breakthrough season last year...Stats are stacking up already and has just moved to the Dolphins where he will gain valuable experience with Imran Tahir.

2.) OBUS PIENAAR...21 year-old bowling all-rounder from the Free State. Part of the same SA U19 side that got to the final in the 2008 WC. A tall and lanky left-armer who can hit it a long way.

Two schoolboy talents. Going to be involved in the SA U19 Coke week in December and hoping to make SA schools team.

1.) JAMES PRICE...18 year-old hard-hitting batting all-rounder from Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape is a dangerous player as shown in the recent SA U19 series. He can also bowl a heavy ball. He is a talented sportsman who has already played for the SA Scools rugby team and plays tennis as well. Just like the Gibbs, AB talent with regards to multiple sports. He is at St Andrews College...a private school in Grahamstown

2.) CALVIN SAVAGE...17 year-old who made the SA Schools team as a 16 year-old last year. He is a tall lanky opening bowler who is tipped for a bright future by many. Still has another year at school after this one but has already made his FC debut last season. He is at Maritzburg College with a Jacques Kallis foundation scholarship and previous players from College are Jonty Rhodes, Kevin Pietersen and now the new kid on the block David Miller.

I won't be surprised if they get a look in during school-holidays or in James Price's case...the Pro20 series next year as he would have finished school.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good to see a Gtown guy making strides, thanks for the info.. Hard to look past the Champions league at the moment though.. Interesting that Rudolph wants to play for SA again, wow that would be a bonus..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea would be nice to Rudolph playing for SA again.

Whats the chances of Van Der Wath actually playing for SA again soon. Heard poster TTBoy mentioned he wants to play for SA again as well?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yea would be nice to Rudolph playing for SA again.

Whats the chances of Van Der Wath actually playing for SA again soon. Heard poster TTBoy mentioned he wants to play for SA again as well?
Slim as the rationale for van der Wath wanting to play is to go back to Northants next year. Just doing it for the visa...

Fan of van der Wath, shame he didn't get more of a go in limited overs cricket for RSA.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Also a congratulations must go out to various teams representing South Africa this off-season.
Will mean nothing if the A boys don't win today's final. Will be another epic choke that after dominating and being different class throughout the tri-series. Sri Lanka look set to post a decent total as well...And let’s not forget RSA Emerging “boys” (Pierre Joubert) “won” simply because of rain.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Slim as the rationale for van der Wath wanting to play is to go back to Northants next year. Just doing it for the visa...

Fan of van der Wath, shame he didn't get more of a go in limited overs cricket for RSA.
Yea he ticked all the boxes to be a top ODI & T20 player.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Will mean nothing if the A boys don't win today's final.
They won. :)

Seriously talented A side in regard to batting. van Wyk, Miller, Ingram, Rossouw, Vandiar, Elgar and Kuhn all wouldn't disgrace themselves at international level. Great luxury to have and the Proteas should effectively field this A side when they play Zim next month. Miller is a shoe-in to play but with Bouch being cast aside and AB apparently recovering from surgery it would be good to try out van Wyk again at the top of the order (or Kuhn) and maybe bring in Elgar and rest Kallis.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yea he ticked all the boxes to be a top ODI & T20 player.
Yeah, hit the ball a long way, had genuine pace and could swing the ball. Shame he was tainted by his performances in the VB series against Aus and Sri Lanka where practically every RSA bowler was taken apart.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Vallie finally get's a contract. Better late than never.

Really happy for Obus Pienaar. I see big things for the kid especially in the short form of the game.

Looks like wrist spin will be prominent in the SSS. Shamzi, Von Berg and Tahir will probably be in their respective starting lineups.

SeamUp

International Coach

Ditto.

The thing was...he had S. Pollock, Andrew Hall and Justin Kemp ahead of him as all-rounders.

Then the new kids on the block like A. Morkel (Who used to bowl 150k's) and Vernon Philander were given goes when he was in England.

But he was definitely a good enough one-day cricketer to have played more for the Proteas if things worked out differently.

Definitely won't play for SA again.

SeamUp

International Coach
TT Boy.

Morne Van Wyk is an interesting one tbh. Always has been a great domestic one-day player. He has always been very agressive at domestic level where he is lethal on the cut-shot but when he played for SA he played without that freedom and never grabbed the opportunity.

I firmly believe SA's top 4 is set in stone for the WC. I would go further to say that Dave Miller should be a definite but lets play it safe for now.

1. Graeme Smith
2. Hashim Amla
3. Jacques Kallis
4. AB De Villiers.

Then its fighting for positions 5-7 to me who are interesting.

Probably Ingram, Kemp, Duminy, Elgar, Miller are fighting it out for number 5 to 6. Don't forget Elgar and Duminy could play as 2nd spinners. This WC will come too early for the likes of Vandiar and Rossouw who need to do more in our domestic 1-day stuff.

Then you would probably say the likes of Robin Peterson, Albie Morkel, Ryan McLaren, and Mark Boucher are fighting it out for number 7.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I hate to say it but Pro is in some good form. I'd be interested how he fairs in the MTN40 this year.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I hate to say it but Pro is in some good form. I'd be interested how he fairs in the MTN40 this year.
I agree mate, Vernon irritates the hell out of me from his 132kmph average speed bowling, to dropping catches and chewing his gum like a real bafoon.

BUT I will give the man his due's. Last season he was bowling with some wheels (hitting 140kmph regualrly on a good length and seaming it) and looked fitter. Arguably the most consistent bowler in both 'A' series. Ahead of Tsotosbe in my opinion and its a close one with Theron.

I think he can work on his striking of the cricket ball with the willow because he can be a bit inconsistent with the bat. Because at times he can give the bowling a good clout.

I believe McLaren also needs to step his game up. Not the same player of 3-4 years ago in my opinion. But I know the talent is there.

akilana

International 12th Man
I'd like to SA to have this line up for ODI

Smith
Amla
Kallis
AB
Elgar
Miller/Ingram
Kahn WK
Botha
McLaren/Parnell
Steyn
Morkel

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd like to SA to have this line up for ODI

Smith
Amla
Kallis
AB
Elgar
Miller/Ingram
Kahn WK
Botha
McLaren/Parnell
Steyn
Morkel
Its not a bad team and could easily look like that bar Heino Kuhn. If Heino Kuhn ever plays ODI cricket for SA, he has to open and I can't see that. I can see him having a good test career when Boucher retires.

MY TEAM.

1. Smith
2. Amla
3. Kallis
4. AB (+)
5. Miller
6. Kemp
7. R. Peterson
8. Botha
9. Parnell
10. Steyn
11. M.Morkel/ Langeveldt

Players looking to force their way in...

TOP-ORDER BATTING (1-4): Van Wyk and Ingram (pity Rossouw isn't ready yet)
MIDDLE-ORDER (5-6): Ingram, Elgar, Duminy
KEEPER (7): Boucher
ALL-ROUNDERS (7): A. Morkel, McLaren & Philander
SPINNERS (8): Van der Merwe
FAST BOWLERS (9-11): Tsotsobe, Kleinveldt & Theron

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, hit the ball a long way, had genuine pace and could swing the ball. Shame he was tainted by his performances in the VB series against Aus and Sri Lanka where practically every RSA bowler was taken apart.
Well after that 05/06 VB series, he did appear for SA during the 1st T20 WC in 2007. But yea another one of the long list of very capable SA all-rounders, to bad he didn't get a chance to display that talent more on the international stage.

kingkallis

International Coach
I am kind of excited to see the performance of Elgar. Is he as good a player or its just the form?