• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Vivian Richards - master or myth?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
It was a follow-on from a post I made yesterday where I said "I can only conclude that you never saw him bat", and as Deja Moo replied to that post and a few others of mine quite civilly without disputing that fact, I assumed that he hadn't.

Clearly he could well have done, and I am sorry if I gave you or anyone else the impression that I was stating it as a matter of fact.

If that has truly come over as arrogance, I apologise.
It's not just about your response to Deja Moo, it's about the assertion that anyone who disagrees with the notion that 'VIV could/should have ended up with a much higher avg.' must have not watched him play. Well I did watch Viv Play (85-86 onwards) and given a choice I would watch him over any other batsman I have watched in last 15-20 years, but at the same time I think he totally deserves the avg. he got and I am not degenerating or disrespecting him at all. He sure was fun to watch, his arrogance, his domination of bowlers, his contempt for any kind of bowling etc etc..., it sure made the game lot more interesting and much more watchable..but at the same time it made him vulnerable as a batsman and that's why his avg. is appropriate and doesn't need any furthur glorification. That's obviously IMHO.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
It's not just about your response to Deja Moo, it's about the assertion that anyone who disagrees with the notion that 'VIV could/should have ended up with a much higher avg.' must have not watched him play.
Where did I say that, other than to DM?

Oh no, I didn't. It's just you making it up as you go along, like you normally do. Why don't you do your usual trick and do a scan of all my posts over the last 3 years or so in order to find one that backs up your ridiiculous assertion?

You troll.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Where did I say that, other than to DM?

Oh no, I didn't. It's just you making it up as you go along, like you normally do. Why don't you do your usual trick and do a scan of all my posts over the last 3 years or so in order to find one that backs up your ridiiculous assertion?

You troll.
First of all, I made a serious post, you ignore most it and accuse me of trolling.
Anyways How about reading your first response to Deja Moo where you started your post with "I can only conclude that you never saw him bat.". You didn't even leave any room for any sort of response from Deja and made your conclusion. Seriously it could have been anyone..who disagreed with you..unless you are saying that you would say this only to DM and not to anyone else who made that post.

Also you accused Zebra of deginerating Richards and spouting rubbish...Basically 2 people disagree with you and you make your conclusion about them before giving them a chance to explain. 8-)

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know what really upsets me about this thread? What REALLY gets under my skin?!

That no-one has commented on my fantastic analogy to Viv, Dravid and my ex-girlfriends.

Seriously people, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ALL!?!!??

:baby:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
I guess it's like two different sorts of girlfriends. There's the person whose always there for you, supports you when you're down, remembers your birthday, listens to you, laughs at your jokes, is into the stuff you're into and considers your views. You appreciate the fact she fits you so well and is consistent but you're less than inspired.

Then there's the ***** who treats you like crap, starts arguments for no reason other than that she's bored, leaves town for a fortnight without calling then comes back and acts like nothing has happened. After you've yelled at her for doing all of this, she smiles and leans over then kisses you on the lips and breathes "I'm sorry, baby." into your ear then walks out of the room.

Now I challenge anyone who has been out with both types of females (*hand up*) and NOT forgive the second one. :D
No, because they generally a) were sleeping with someone else, or b) they never came back. Man, you just brought up a sea of bitterness.

So screw you, Viv. And about you and my third best friend, I knew, you *****.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Deja moo said:
I'm not rubbishing him, not by any stretch of imagination. I'm rubbishing the talk of a great player being talked of as greater than great because he apparently got bored with batting deep into his innings'. I see that quality as a failing rather than a positive.
And you'd be right.

Is anybody really doing that though? From reading the thread, it more seems to me a lament for what might have been, rather than "boredom" being described as a wonderful attribute. I could be wrong, though. For me, his statistical decline is mainly a matter of batting for a long time past his peak rather than boredom, anyway. I don't think it's that unnatural when batsmen play 100+ tests that there's some level of depreciation towards the end, and I'd be surprised if it didn't happen to most players who play that long. I don't think Steve Waugh circa 2004 was anywhere near the Steve Waugh of the 90's. Won't stop me waxing lyrical about what he was like through the best part of his career, though.

One of the aspects of Richards that most boosts his legendary status is facing up to the world's fastest bowlers with no helmet on in an age where they were the norm. In terms of contemporary occupation health and safety standards, it's a nightmare. But there's nothing quite so insane as seeing batsman after batsman facing bumper after bumper with a full helmet and grille, and then Viv hooking and pulling the short stuff with a cap on. It's the stuff that people will talk about decades after the fact, and so it has been.

Also, he was a fantastic fielder in the slips, and at cover. He ran out four top-order Aussie batsmen in the '75 World Cup, and was a precursor to great fielders like Jonty Rhodes and Ricky Ponting who patrolled similar areas with a view to throwing the stumps down. On the downside, I thought he was only an adequate captain, and in addition to this I often felt that his tendency to scream at young players for fielding indiscretions was counter-productive. He likely wasn't half the man-manager that Clive Lloyd was, and his post-retirement career probably bears this out.

Batting-wise I liken him to Gilchrist. Certainly, as many have said, he was the most destructive batsman of his era (and this is not simply a case of elevating excitement level over actual achievement, because he was certainly maintaining a great average while he did so, even if it diminished later in his career). He was more impressive, because of the quality of bowling he was facing, and the fact that conditions were far more bowler-friendly in his era (and because he didn't have as noticable a weakness as Gilchrist does). Of course, Gilly's average is better. 8-) I'd rate Brian Lara comfortably above Viv though, having seen both players. Dunno if that's very controversial or not.

I agree with Deja Moo's comments in terms of average - IMO, once a player averages 50+, they're a great, and all sorts of comparisons can be made in discussing them, many of which don't have to be statistical. But claiming that he should have averaged 70 or so is something of a strange comment, when you think about it, particularly if you believe the batsman in question's concentration or application was the problem. I'd prefer to say that his average doesn't tell the entire story as to how good he was. With many great players, this is often the case.

thierry henry

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Totally underachieved? He played in an era of great bowlers and, generally, more difficult pitches than today, and until the last couple of years of his career dragged his average down he averaged mid-50s. Whether you analyse his performance statistically or though actually, you know, watching him bat, he was a great.
I clearly stated that I was purely basing my opinions on what I have been told.

Been told by his FANS, in fact.

I'll freely admit that I was born in 1985 (so were you, funnily enough) and pretty much missed his career.

However, it's Viv's biggest fans that give him the worst reputation. You hear over and over again "Viv could have averaged 70/ Viv got bored and got himself out/ Viv demoralised bowlers/ Viv was a total bad *** because he didn't wear a helmet".

In conclusion, fans of Viv Richards are educating an entire generation into perceiving him as an arrogant (didn't wear a helmet, his overall demeanour), mean-spirited, (more interested in demoralising bowlers than accumulating runs) underachieving (could have averaged 70) batsman.

Either you are all doing him a disservice, or it's the truth.

thierry henry

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
I agree with Deja Moo's comments in terms of average - IMO, once a player averages 50+, they're a great.
I couldn't agree more, but try getting people to agree with that in the "Greats" thread. Ricky Ponting and Jacques Kallis both have over 7000 runs at 57 and aren't "greats", apparently (Kallis has the small matter of 184 wickets as well.)

archie mac

International Coach
thierry henry said:
I clearly stated that I was purely basing my opinions on what I have been told.

Been told by his FANS, in fact.

I'll freely admit that I was born in 1985 (so were you, funnily enough) and pretty much missed his career.

However, it's Viv's biggest fans that give him the worst reputation. You hear over and over again "Viv could have averaged 70/ Viv got bored and got himself out/ Viv demoralised bowlers/ Viv was a total bad *** because he didn't wear a helmet".

In conclusion, fans of Viv Richards are educating an entire generation into perceiving him as an arrogant (didn't wear a helmet, his overall demeanour), mean-spirited, (more interested in demoralising bowlers than accumulating runs) underachieving (could have averaged 70) batsman.

Either you are all doing him a disservice, or it's the truth.
I just think that is your take on him.

Why would you not consider him brave for not wearing a helmet?

Why mean spireted and not super competitive?

Why underachieving and just not interested in runs just for runs sake?

Slow Love™

International Captain
thierry henry said:
I couldn't agree more, but try getting people to agree with that in the "Greats" thread. Ricky Ponting and Jacques Kallis both have over 7000 runs at 57 and aren't "greats", apparently (Kallis has the small matter of 184 wickets as well.)
Haha, I actually voted "no" in that thread for both of them (but I had my own confusions over other people that were passed over, mainly bowlers, but that's another story).

Perhaps I should add a qualification: this era of batsman-friendly cricket has so many players averaging 50+ or close to it that I probably rate guys that did so in earlier eras more highly. I'm also more inclined to wait until players' careers are over before giving them (from my opinion anyway), "great" status. The main problem I found in the other thread was that everybody seemed to have a different idea of what "great" meant.

thierry henry

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Haha, I actually voted "no" in that thread for both of them (but I had my own confusions over other people that were passed over, mainly bowlers, but that's another story).

Perhaps I should add a qualification: this era of batsman-friendly cricket has so many players averaging 50+ or close to it that I probably rate guys that did so in earlier eras more highly. I'm also more inclined to wait until players' careers are over before giving them (from my opinion anyway), "great" status. The main problem I found in the other thread was that everybody seemed to have a different idea of what "great" meant.
There still aren't *that* many players averaging over 50. Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, and Tendulkar are pretty much the only ones averaging over 55 with a large number of runs under their belt, so I still don't see how they can be denied great status. Lara seems to get it as of right even though his record is slightly inferior to those players.......

thierry henry

International Coach
archie mac said:
I just think that is your take on him.

Why would you not consider him brave for not wearing a helmet?
Because there's nothing brave about not taking precautions that are readily available. That is something that falls very firmly into the "stupid" category.

Why mean spirited and not super competitive?
Because being competitive is about wanting to win. It has little to do with playing the most extravagant shots you can in order to make opposing bowlers look foolish. We are talking about international cricket here after all, it's not a trick shot competition.

Why underachieving and just not interested in runs just for runs sake?
Because that statement is completely meaningless :huh:

Considering he played in such a dominant team with such a dominant bowling attack, what exactly DID Viv achieve? It seems to me he had the deck stacked in his favour. It seems likely that the West Indies would probably (debatably) have still been a great team without him. So what else was there for him but to score runs? If he wasn't interested in run accumulation, and he knew that the team would probably win without his contributions, then what was he doing? Showing off?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't help but think you just dislike the fact that people talk so highly of him. It seems to me a common matter of 'dislike because so many people like'.

thierry henry

International Coach
It is correct that I dislike it when one player is singled out from a crowd despite being of approximately equivalent merit to the rest of that crowd.

I don't see why Viv should be ranked any higher than a number of other batsman who have played the game and are rated as between "very good" and "great", hence I am always going to vehemently disagree with attempts to glorify him.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ditto with Dennis Lillee btw. And I don't agree with rating Sobers as one of the 2 supreme greats alongside Bradman (sorry for sidetracking the conversation again, I can't help myself.)