• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Donald Bradman & One Day Cricket

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
i will ask my doctor friend to provide me with the names of a few good and indepth books on the topic of optics.
C_C I don't think your psychiatrist will know much about the topics of optics.

:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
this further proves my point.
Human beings are not capable of accurately perceiving empirical speed of an object- ie, a car that appears 'fast' or a ball that appears 'fast' can easily have a 10-20mph difference between various people, if asked to quantify the speed of the car/ball.
However, human eye is VERY WELL EQUIPPED to guage relativistic speeds- it can compare very well between two objects and tell which one is faster- and the objects need not run simultaneously for this comparison to occur ( ie,a person can tell which of the cars were faster accurately if two cars did a solo run and the cars had a 4-5mph speed differential or so).
Even if this were the case for two cars at the same time, it certainly wouldn't be for cars 50 years apart.
i would classify a 5mph difference in speeds consistently as MUCH faster.
Despite the fact we've seen it make little or no difference to top-class batsmen.
Donald has never bowled a delivery recorded at 95mph or above.( i believe according to Eddie whatzizname's compilation, Donalds' two top speeds were in 1993 and 1997 and both were 93-94mph range).
Akhtar bas bowled entire spells at 98+mph.
No, he hasn't.
Nor has Donald been timed at anything in either 1993 or 1997 - reliable timing technology didn't exist back then.
I'm almost certain Donald was bowling in the 95 range in the 1990-1995 sort of time, at the sort of age Akhtar has been bowling maybe a fraction quicker (and maybe not).
you need to learn more about the capablities of the human eye before you make that claim. You'll find your views to be modified substantially.
If you wait till the new year's vacation period is over, i will ask my doctor friend to provide me with the names of a few good and indepth books on the topic of optics.
Plenty of people I trust and know have plenty of knowledge of the matter have suggested plenty on the topic, thank you very much.

C_C

International Captain
Even if this were the case for two cars at the same time, it certainly wouldn't be for cars 50 years apart.
you can if you have a suitable frame of reference.

Despite the fact we've seen it make little or no difference to top-class batsmen.
false assertion.

No, he hasn't.
Nor has Donald been timed at anything in either 1993 or 1997 - reliable timing technology didn't exist back then.
I'm almost certain Donald was bowling in the 95 range in the 1990-1995 sort of time, at the sort of age Akhtar has been bowling maybe a fraction quicker (and maybe not).
incorrect. Reliable timing technology has existed since the mid/late 1980s. Just because it wasnt used in cricket doesnt mean it didnt exist. Reliable speed guns have been in use in baseball since the mid 1980s and the police-issue radar guns are from that period as well.
And like i said, Eddie whatzisname keeps all data on the recorded speeds of bowlers. Donald's fastest was timed in 1993 and 1997 and was between 93 and 94mph.

PS: Scally, my psychiatrist thinks you should find one pronto :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
you can if you have a suitable frame of reference.
But you don't - you have one unreliable comparison after another.
false assertion.
No, it's not - ask any top batsman, they'll say they notice very little difference between 90 and 95 mph. Even less between 75 and 80.
incorrect. Reliable timing technology has existed since the mid/late 1980s. Just because it wasnt used in cricket doesnt mean it didnt exist. Reliable speed guns have been in use in baseball since the mid 1980s and the police-issue radar guns are from that period as well.
And because nothing was ever used in cricket - guess what? Amazingly enough, that means no bowler was ever timed reliably before 1998 when it was introduced.
And like i said, Eddie whatzisname keeps all data on the recorded speeds of bowlers. Donald's fastest was timed in 1993 and 1997 and was between 93 and 94mph.
And he's got many random entries, his database is totally outdated and has never been reliable