• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ross Taylor make a New Zealand Greatest Test XI?

Should Taylor make the all time NZ test eleven?

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If Andrew Jones can't make it, Ross Taylor shouldn't be there.

Taylor: 30 tests, 2221 runs @ 41.12
Jones: 39 tests, 2922 runs @ 44.27

Especially considering Taylor bats at the same position as Martin Crowe, who is the second name down on any Kiwi All-time XI.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
My All-time XI, considering we were crap for ages and a lot of our best players really come from the modern era:

1. G. Turner
2. M. Richardson
3. A. Jones
4. M. Crowe
5. S. Fleming
6. C. Cairns
7. R. Hadlee
8. I. Smith
9. D. Vettori
10. S. Bond
11. J. Cowie

Not a spectacular top three, but they would be really hard to get out and considering top-order collapses are our main weakness, I can't think of three batsmen who would be better at preventing this. They would last long enough to blunt the ball for Crowe and Fleming, anyway.

A strokemaker like Fleming ought to come in at five, I feel that he had to open because there was no-one else post Richardson who could do it.

An opening bowling duo of Hadlee and Bond would rival anything any other country could put out in history, I reckon, including Wasim/Waqar and Marshall/anyone. Cowie and Cairns would be decent change bowlers, but in the case of likely injury Vettori would need to be there to bowl hundreds of overs.

Ian Smith probably the weakest link in this lineup, but if our top order managed to fire I'd want him and Cairns to put on some quick runs for the sake of a declaration.