• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection Policy (IMO)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The debate won't end for a good while yet.
Even Southee is successful from the absolute outset and finishes his career averaging under 20 with the ball, I don't think it was a particularly good decision.

Lots has been said about his age, but age is not my problem with him. He could be 14 or 40 for all I care - the problem is the distinct lack of experience at First Class / List A level. Not only is this a valuable learning experience for a player, but it's a bloody good judge of one's quality. Selectors like to think they can "spot a talent" and try to over-play what should be a fairly simple job but in reality, performing consistently well at First Class level is a much better indicator of a potentially good international cricket than looking good in the nets or doing well in Under 19 cricket.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Would imagine it could be to do with NZ not having alot of options and getting overly excited at Southee's good but not great record at FC level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would imagine it could be to do with NZ not having alot of options and getting overly excited at Southee's good but not great record at FC level.
I could understand if it was a batsman of Southee's potential.. maybe. Their batting stocks are ridiculously low at the moment. But the bowling wasn't/isn't in such a bad state. Michael Mason has only played one Test for example - look at his First Class record. Admittedly, Southee looks a bit better than Mason, but he hasn't proven it at First Class level and there's no better judge of the game than the game itself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, it is. And most 19-year-olds would do far worse than Southee has in his Test and ODI careers so far.

All the same, EVEN DESPITE ALL THIS there were better alternatives than Southee in both Tests and ODIs that he's played so far.

I've said it before - a decision turning-out to be a successful one doesn't mean it was a good decision. To be a good decision, the reasoning behind it must be sound. And this doesn't change whether the decision turns-out successful or unsuccessful. Of course, a bad decision that is unsuccessful is more ideal than one that turns-out successful.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've said it before - a decision turning-out to be a successful one doesn't mean it was a good decision. To be a good decision, the reasoning behind it must be sound. And this doesn't change whether the decision turns-out successful or unsuccessful. Of course, a bad decision that is unsuccessful is more ideal than one that turns-out successful.
h

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:

In other news: tipping the winner doesn't mean you've predicted correctly if Dicko disagrees with your selection. You were wrong, but lucky.
That's actually exactly what he told me when I won money on Ireland beating Pakistan in the World Cup. Seriously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is it? I don't recall saying "you wrongly predicted something which you correctly predicted".
What he means is that you said it wasn't a good prediction because nine times out of ten Pakistan would have won. Or something like that.

I'm sure you remember this but meh, it's late :p