• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar vs Malcolm Marshall

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Total voters

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
NO. Just No.

I mean about the talent part. It's ridiculous to suggest that Pakistan has an abundance of talent right now. They really don't. The fielding is just the turd icing on the **** cake.
i was speaking about the team in 90s. Now they are completly f....k..d up

subshakerz

International Coach
That's why some teams, despite having the talent never made it to the top.

And you'll can laugh as much as you want, but also why Pakistan literally dropped the opportunity to complete against Australia this year. It's never been seen as a priority

It's hilarious how we look at stats and not impact. Australia, West Indies and South Africa I would wager won more games because of their slip cordons than with 5th bowlers and lower order batting combined.

But to acknowledge that is to elevate Kallis, and we can't have that.
Agreed. Nobody is suggesting fielding isnt important though.

I think you could end this by just acknowledging valuing lower order runs more is a valid perspective.

I am just interested though when you say valuing Kallis more, against whom do you have in mind as an example?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. Nobody is suggesting fielding isnt important though.

I think you could end this by just acknowledging valuing lower order runs more is a valid perspective.

I am just interested though when you say valuing Kallis more, against whom do you have in mind as an example?
I think valuing either higher is a valid perspective. That's where we differ.

I've already acknowledged is as useful, you can also end this by doing the same. That valuing a strong cordon as being equally important is a valid perspective.

Re Kallis, everyone not named Sobers or Bradman. And before you ask why not Sobers, Sobers was the better bat, more effective bowler and more versatile and athletic catcher.

But a player who was arguably a top 10 batsman, possibly the 2nd best relief bowler and a top 5 slip catcher of this century and top 10 all time, especially using your accumulative / total value metric (which I don't), who's better than that?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

I've already acknowledged is as useful, you can also end this by doing the same. That valuing a strong cordon as being equally important is a valid perspective.

Re Kallis, everyone not named Sobers or Bradman. And before you ask why not Sobers, Sobers was the better bat, more effective bowler and more versatile and athletic catcher.

But a player who was arguably a top 10 batsman, possibly the 2nd best relief bowler and a top 5 slip catcher of this century and top 10 all time, especially using your accumulative / total value metric (which I don't), who's better than that?
Your favourite player, obviously!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

The issue with Kallis is how much can he improve a side?

With Imran and Hadlee, the improvement of bowling is vast (1 among 4 or 5). For a batting allrounder to do it with the bat (1 among 6 or 7) is much difficult. That is why Imran and Hadlee would make much more impact than Kallis. Sobers was so good he can make an impact with bat.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The issue with Kallis is how much can he improve a side?

With Imran and Hadlee, the improvement of bowling is vast (1 among 4 or 5). For a batting allrounder to do it with the bat (1 among 6 or 7) is much difficult. That is why Imran and Hadlee would make much more impact than Kallis. Sobers was so good he can make an impact with bat.
A lot of the impact of batting ARs is through team selection. A team (particularly one without a quality spinner) is going to have to choose between picking an extra B-tier bowler/bits and pieces player/breaking their bowlers (which is likely the worst long term choice).

A lot of the time, you will need to add their impact plus the impact of an extra bat.

And keep in mind that through the bowlers have more impact lense, a batting AR is replacing a lower impact bat, and a bowling AR a higher impact bowler.