• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Waugh Vs Wasim

S Waugh Vs Wasim

• Total voters

ma1978

State Captain
People are deluding themselves if they think that Kallis is a better bat.

Steve Waugh has arguably the greatest batting peak ever outside of Viv.
Bradman, Smith, Ponting, Kohli to name a few with better peaks than Waugh

Fine batsman Waugh and lot of good arguments why he’s better than Kallis but peak isn’t the argument

subshakerz

International Coach
Bradman, Smith, Ponting, Kohli to name a few with better peaks than Waugh

Fine batsman Waugh and lot of good arguments why he’s better than Kallis but peak isn’t the argument
Nope.

Steve Waugh averaged nearly 75 between 94 to 97. During that time, he faced Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and Pollock, all near their peak, in multiple series home and away. Nobody in history averaged so much while facing such quality pace likely.

@kyear2

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Nah Kallis is a better bat. Waugh was a better captain though.
Waugh should have binged on minnows more to get a couple more points to his average and be considered in your eyes.

Like, I literally don't know what in Waugh's record gets him behind, except for batting at no.5/6 which is a fair point.

ma1978

State Captain
Nope.

Steve Waugh averaged nearly 75 between 94 to 97. During that time, he faced Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and Pollock, all near their peak, in multiple series home and away. Nobody in history averaged so much while facing such quality pace likely.

@kyear2
It was quite a peak but I’m sure there are others comparable or better like Ponting or Smith,

reyrey

U19 Debutant
Nope.

@kyear2
I was pretty young at the time, but I still remember in the mid 90s S.Waugh was always mentioned alongside or just after Lara and Tendulkar whenever a discussion around current number 1 bat came up.

Those stats are wild though. Not just the 75 batting average, but he averaged 103 batting in the 1st innings of a game and only 17 in the 4th. His part time bowling averaged under 20 too!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I was pretty young at the time, but I still remember in the mid 90s S.Waugh was always mentioned alongside or just after Lara and Tendulkar whenever a discussion around current number 1 bat came up.

Those stats are wild though. Not just the 75 batting average, but he averaged 103 batting in the 1st innings of a game and only 17 in the 4th. His part time bowling averaged under 20 too!
There was a time, when he was the clear no 3 to those guys and had real buzz around him that he may have merited being in that tier.

Think that was around the same time he switched to MRF bats if I recall correctly. Think all 3 of them had them.