• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard Hadlee vs Imran Khan

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The better allrounder is the better cricketer. Otherwise it's a meaningless term.
We can cordially agree to disagree.

And it kinda is.

I believe one of the original definitions was being able to make the team with bat and ball.

Now many players have ever met that, off the top of my head, 6?

subshakerz

International Coach
We can cordially agree to disagree.

And it kinda is.

I believe one of the original definitions was being able to make the team with bat and ball.

All-rounder to me is just a distinction to separate certain cricketers in a separate category and then we judge them as we normally would. I don't think balanced = better.

So Hadlee > Botham as an AR. But Imran > Hadlee.

Anything else is confusion IMO.

subshakerz

International Coach
The gap between Imran and Hadlee as bowlers is not a wide as most here would assume though, once you take Imran's early start and late career pure bat phase into context.

I actually think 1990 onwards series with bat and ball shouldn't be considered in Imran's career in these discussions since they downgrade his bowling and upgrade his batting in a misleading way.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach

It's obviously a stupid definition but there's more than 6.

Noble*
Faulkner
Kelleway*
Miller
Gomez*
Goddard
Sobers
Procter*
Rice
Botham
Imran
Hadlee*
Cairns
Flintoff*
Shakib
Jadeja (in the last 8 years)*

* for those that are particularly questionable

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
It's obviously a stupid definition but there's more than 6.

Noble*
Faulkner
Kelleway*
Miller
Gomez*
Goddard
Sobers
Procter*
Rice
Botham
Imran
Hadlee*
Cairns
Flintoff*
Shakib
Jadeja (in the last 8 years)*

* for those that are particularly questionable
Noble is definitely not questionable. He had an average of 40 is FC and by far was seen as a leading Aussie bat of his time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Imran and Miller are my equal greatest "all-rounders" for balanced excellence in both disciplines.

But Hadlee is just about my first pick on an all-time team.
Imran and Miller averaged 37 with the bat, that wasn't excellence.

Hadlee isn't my no. 1 selection for an all time team, but I can see where if he's making the team, can easily be a top 5 one.

But of these two, if I were to chose only one for an average test team, it's Hadlee. He's the better bowler and that's the primary discipline for which he's selected.