• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

shortpitched713

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
It's quite simple. I offerered the opinion that most serious cricket circles wouldn't dismiss Lillee as a contender for the top 10 bowlers of all time whilst at the same time picking Imran Khan. Someone then quoted Wisden as having Imran at in their top 10. So I just offered up for debate the fact that the Wisden batting list ranked Border at 5 and Barrington at 7 ahead of genuine greats Gavaskar, Chappell and Lara. Such an order of merit could be seen to cast doubt on the credibility of those choosing the Wisden lists.
Two things, first Lillee has already been chosen in the top ten ahead of Imran Khan. Second, while your above point may cast a bit of doubt about Wisden, it doesn't validate the views of the "serious cricket circles" that you ascribe to. In addition Wisden ended up agreeing with you on the whole bowlers thing by picking Lillee ahead of Imran, so by casting doubt on the credibility of Wisden, you're actually also casting doubt on your own "serious cricket circles".

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
Two things, first Lillee has already been chosen in the top ten ahead of Imran Khan. Second, while your above point may cast a bit of doubt about Wisden, it doesn't validate the views of the "serious cricket circles" that you ascribe to. In addition Wisden ended up agreeing with you on the whole bowlers thing by picking Lillee ahead of Imran, so by casting doubt on the credibility of Wisden, you're actually also casting doubt on your own "serious cricket circles".

I wasn't using Wisden to validate anything, I don't care about it and I didn't bring it up in the first place. This whole thing came about just because I said that the list was more credible because Dennis Lillee had at last belatedly joined the list. One person who for some reason wants to discredit Lillee at every opportunity said that it made the list less credible as there were "some quality bowlers that should have been there." One name mentioned was (drum roll) Joel Garner, in another thread about the select 66/85 side someone said Lillee's place should be taken by none other than Mike Procter. Not considering Dennis Lillee for the top 10 is nonsense and fortunately not a view shared by many as he appears in all lists including this vote.

Anyway back to the vote, I'll go for Akram.

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I don't know who would've come where, but I do know that by including top 3 we get a much better view of people's opinions!
Tbh that was simply too much work for me to do. 8-)
It would also make the voting process rather annoying and cumbersome.

adharcric

International Coach
The greatest left-armer of all-time at #12.

The List
1. Malcolm Marshall (WI)
2. Muttiah Muralitharan (SRI)
3. Glenn McGrath (AUS)
4. Curtly Ambrose (WI)
5. Richard Hadlee (NZ)
6. Shane Warne (AUS)
7. Fred Trueman (ENG)
8. Dennis Lillee (AUS)
9. Sydney Barnes (ENG)
10. Imran Khan (PAK)
11. Allan Donald (RSA)
12. Wasim Akram (PAK)

The vote for the #13 bowler of all-time begins now.

The Contenders