• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where would people rank this World Cup right now?

IMO it's probably around the 2011/2003 mark. There just hasn't been enough close games - the only three super memorable games I can think of are South Africa/Pakistan, Australia/New Zealand and Pakistan/New Zealand - and the third game was DLS affected. It's also felt like the semis became pretty obvious early on.

Could change if Afghanistan were to make the semis and a great final might salvage it but yeah, it's not a great one thus far.

OverratedSanity

I was very low on it the first few days. But have really enjoyed the last week and a half since the fight for the 4th spot got a bit interesting. Soke good games and pak/afg having a not so crazy path to the semifinal.

It's still a pretty meh world cup if the knockouts suck but it's atleast way better than bottom tier world cup like 2007.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've enjoyed it, which is not like me given how much England have sucked. I think a match doesn't need a close finish to be a good one. There have been plenty of upsets, games that had plenty of tension for long spells even if not for the final overs, some great hitting and memorable moments.

Burgey

I was very low on it the first few days. But have really enjoyed the last week and a half since the fight for the 4th spot got a bit interesting. Soke good games and pak/afg having a not so crazy path to the semifinal.

It's still a pretty meh world cup if the knockouts suck but it's atleast way better than bottom tier world cup like 2007.
Agree it’s warmed up with some decent games. First week or two didn’t bode well but much better now

Flem274*

123/5
2023 has been what people claim 2015 was. In 2015 the best bowling attacks kept scores sensible. In 2023 only one attack hasn't been gg

Molehill

International Captain
Terrible WC opening. Has steadily lifted. Maybe we're in for a magnificent close.
It's steadily lifted but has then gone back downhill again. Still only about 4 close games out of 40, 3 or 4 upsets (but haven't been close). It briefly got interesting thanks to some rain in the NZ/Pak game, but we've basically known the semi finalists for 3 weeks.

Only the last 3 games can really save it, but India just look so far ahead of everyone else, I'd be surprised (and a bit disappointed really) if they're beaten.

Jumno

First Class Debutant
92 was a good one, had a lot of novelty to it

96 the qfs and sfs were all great

99 some decent matches

03 a few decent matches

2007 had an interesting format

2011 some interesting games

2015 a complete borefest apart from two-three matches

I'd say 92, 87, 96,

Phoenix

Cricket Spectator
This is the sixth World Cup since I became aware of cricket, so here are my rankings:

1. 2003 - the first World Cup I can remember, having got into cricket during the 2002/03 Ashes as a 10-year-old. I didn't know there was such a thing as limited overs cricket and coloured clothing until the VB Series in Australia a couple of months before. I consumed it in a way only a kid could, it felt like I saw as many games as I possibly could on TV. My favourite game was probably England v Pakistan when Jimmy Anderson took 4 wickets.

2. 2019 - as an Englishman, this one obviously rates highly because we finally won the World Cup. The final remains one of the greatest days of my sporting life. Overall, though, there was a week of fairly miserable weather that put paid to quite a few games and that stops it taking top spot.

3. 2015 - obviously a miserable one for England, but I like watching matches in bed when they are over in Australia. I also liked the TV graphics for this one (yes, I am sad like that). I particularly liked New Zealand beating the Aussies by 1 wicket in the group stage, and the incredible run chase from the Black Caps against South Africa in the semi-finals.

4. 2011 - England lost to Ireland, which wasn't great, but they did have a thrilling tie with India and got a win against South Africa out of nowhere. Sadly the final was a bit one-sided.

5. 2007 - we were hoping for a Caribbean carnival, but they priced the locals out and played the games at soulless new grounds miles from anywhere. It seemed to go on forever. There was Bob Woolmer's shocking death, Freddie Flintoff falling off a pedalo, and a farcical final that finished in the dark. Really not a good World Cup.

This one is probably going to slot in between 2011 and 2007. It's dragged on too long, the grounds have been mostly empty, the games have not been close enough, England have been terrible and the whole thing has felt like it has been designed for India to win it. It's not been one to remember.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Designed for India to win ?
This is the WC where both pace and spin bowlers have done well . Last WC was graveyard for spin bowlers . All the pitch where made flat as soon as England were on the verge of elimination . As soon as they got a non-flat pitch in Final , England FTBs struggled to chase even 240 and had to rely on Dharmasena to give them a tie .