• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Harbhajan and Zaheer scored more than him in the second dig so what is the point?He is a massively overrated player.People have been making him out to be India's version of Mike Hussey whereas he is just another Venagapal Rao - in other words,a domestic bully who thrives on below average bowling on flat pitches.

He needn't worry though.As long as Srikanth is at the helm he will keep getting chances even if he doesn't deserve it.
to each his own.. enjoy the conspiracy theories there.. There is a reason why the guy performed well on A tours.. BTW, he outperformed everyone bar Kohli in Australia last summer.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
I think time is up for Dravid. After the south african tour, the cricket board should be able to make a call whether Dravid should stay or go. I prefer Dravid exiting gracefully rather than being dropped and picked on and off later like jayasuriya.
Dravid has been poor for last 3 and half years , although he seems to have got some form back in 2009,but again starting to show signs of decline.
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Since Mid 2006 Dravid really has had one good series .I.e Srilanka at home(2009) and one decent one in newzealand.
For the rest part he has been pretty ordinary.

To be fair to him though this is the first series after those good and decent series.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I would probably want him in the team for the South Africa tour and hope is in good form till then .

But have a niggling feeling and suspicion that he will retire before that .

Don't really see him retiring after a away series and India does not have many home series the next year ,so he will probably have to wait till october and England at home if he wants to retire in India,if he does not retire against Australia and Newzealand this winter.

Infact the Australia series with the second and Final match at Bangalore(His home ground) really could be the Swansong to a Wonderful career.:(

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, When was the last time a Major cricketer retired on a Away tour?

Brian Lara,i guess .Anyone after that? Though Lara was playing Odi's after that and fully retired at home in the world cup Only.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh man..I dont want him to retire..I wanted him to at least surpass Gavaskar's record.. But at the same time..I dont want him to be dropped...so its better if he retires gracefully

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Btw, When was the last time a Major cricketer retired on a Away tour?

Brian Lara,i guess .Anyone after that? Though Lara was playing Odi's after that and fully retired at home in the world cup Only.
I guess quite a few retired at the World Cup, but that wouldn't meet a strict definition of away tour.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dravid has hurt his reputation in the past couple or so years pretty badly. People have forgotten how great he once was. I wouldn't rule out some good knocks from the willow but I don't think he will ever have those speedy reflexes again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid has hurt his reputation in the past couple or so years pretty badly. People have forgotten how great he once was. I wouldn't rule out some good knocks from the willow but I don't think he will ever have those speedy reflexes again.
Meh, that's because people are fickle and forgetful. After he retires and his career is seen as a whole, he'll be remembered as a great.

I've said this ad nauseam on this message board, and I'll say it again. I don't think one should retire to save their "reputation" if they:
a) are still enjoying the game
b) still in the best XI for their team, even if they're not what they used to be.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Meh, that's because people are fickle and forgetful. After he retires and his career is seen as a whole, he'll be remembered as a great.

I've said this ad nauseam on this message board, and I'll say it again. I don't think one should retire to save their "reputation" if they:
b) still in the best XI for their team, even if they're not what they used to be.
Murali's legacy is affected by his poor performance in the series in Australia. Little things matter. When you compare Dravid and Kallis, they were equals two years ago. Kallis is ahead now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali's legacy is affected by his poor performance in the series in Australia. Little things matter.
That was because he didn't perform well there at all.

Dravid failing in India vs. Australia in 2008 doesn't take away from the times he succeeded in 2001 and 2003.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What record of Gavaskar? He has already surpassed him in total test runs.
34 centuries.

Thats where the reputation comes into play. A player of Dravid's calibre being dropped is terrible.. Its better to retire. Mark Waugh was told that he would not make the Ashes XI in 2002..so he retired before that. Its better that way.

I think Dravid needs to retire before India go to SA (regradless of whether he scores a hundred in the final test against Sri Lanka or whatever).

I think it's important for Vijay's development as a p[layer that he be allowed to go to RSA and play all three tests. He may fail there but that's part of the learning process.