• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prince Lara vs King Viv

Who's the better test batsman

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's as close as the voting result so far suggests. I'm undecided, but voted for Lara (because I was the one who uncorked the safety latch of my gun on bagapath and put my finger to the trigger and started the countdown)...

smash84

The Tiger King
As far as presence on the field is concerned I think hardly anybody comes close to Viv. He had the ability to inspire fear in the opposition and confidence in his team. I can't say that Lara could do that to the same degree (that might also be because Lara played in a weak team?????)

L Trumper

State Regular
Very difficult to decide. Lara is my all-time favorite.

But VIV got the coolest walk ever known to mankind. :ph34r:

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hard to choose b etween two fantastic batsmen. Richards had the advantage of being part of the best team in the world, whilst Lara rarely had any proper support.
I went for Lara, but its close. On another day, I might change my mind.

I suppose if you wanted someone to turn a game around in 30 minutes of big hitting, you would go for Viv. But if you needed somone to bat all day and save a test, you would go for Lara. Except he wouldnt save the game, he would score a double hundred, and either win it, or fall just short....

chicane

State Captain
I suppose if you wanted someone to turn a game around in 30 minutes of big hitting, you would go for Viv. But if you needed somone to bat all day and save a test, you would go for Lara. Except he wouldnt save the game, he would score a double hundred, and either win it, or fall just short....
Lara obliterated spin bowlers all the time and when in the mood, any bowler.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lara obliterated spin bowlers all the time and when in the mood, any bowler.
Richards obliterated anyone who was bowling. Ill never forget him smashing perfect length quick deliveries from Willis and Foster for 6 at Old Trafford in 1984, eventually hitting 189 in a match when no other batsman made anything like a decent score.
Richards is probably the best ODI batsman ever. Tho I voted for Lara overall.

chicane

State Captain
Richards obliterated anyone who was bowling. Ill never forget him smashing perfect length quick deliveries from Willis and Foster for 6 at Old Trafford in 1984, eventually hitting 189 in a match when no other batsman made anything like a decent score.
Richards is probably the best ODI batsman ever. Tho I voted for Lara overall.
I was suggesting that if Lara was in a team where he could play demolisher all the time, then he might have, as he showed quite often his ability and will to do so.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
When I think about this comparison, I think about both batsmen at their peaks facing (for example) an

all time attack like the one provided by cricinfo (Warne, Marshall, Lillee, Akram) at full pelt. Now if my

team were in a precarious position and I needed runs on a neutral wicket, Id have to opt with Viv. The

gap in their ability to play pace (IMO) is greater than the gap in their ability to play quality spin. Just

cant see Lara handling perfume balls from the likes of Lillee as well as Lara. That being said the gap

between these 2 masters is extremely close, ala Border and Waugh .

tooextracool

International Coach
Im not really a fan of making comparisons between players of different eras, but Im going to bite here. For me Lara's record will always be tainted for what was a very moderate period between 96-2001. The other issue with Lara was that he never really scored a century against against Wasim and Waqar or against Donald and generally one thought that he struggled against the best of quicks.

Viv on the other hand was well known by everyone as the best of his generation. Perhaps you can argue the likes of Gavaskar, Border and Miandad in there as competition, but almost everybody that bowled to Viv as well as most experts who watch him play live have rather unanimously considered him as the best batsman of his generation. Its not really comparable with Lara tbh, Viv was just a tad greater.

smash84

The Tiger King
Im not really a fan of making comparisons between players of different eras, but Im going to bite here. For me Lara's record will always be tainted for what was a very moderate period between 96-2001. The other issue with Lara was that he never really scored a century against against Wasim and Waqar or against Donald and generally one thought that he struggled against the best of quicks.

Didn't Lara score a century against WW in 1993 when Pak toured WI?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im not really a fan of making comparisons between players of different eras, but Im going to bite here. For me Lara's record will always be tainted for what was a very moderate period between 96-2001.
He was less consistent but a couple of his best ever knocks came against OZ in that period too, a couple away from home and in the midst of McGrath's cobra/snake charmer-like hold over him.

Was a weird period; saw both the very best and worst of Lara.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara could absolutely dominate series from start to finish like no other batsman I've seen. These two always come to mind.