• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post WW2 Dream XI

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Not sure I entirely agree with the selections available. Graeme Pollock & Greg Chappell over Ponting? Why should someone who only played 20 Tests be selectable but yet Ponting with a similar average and over 100 Tests more is not? Not like Pollock had an extradionary first-class average either. Pollock could've experienced a Mike Hussey fall from grace had he played more Tests for all we know.

Wasim Akram should be in the bowling allrounders over Hadlee and Lindwall and Curtly Ambrose should be atleast be in over Fred Truemen and possibly Dennis Lillee. Jacques Kallis should also be in the batting allrounders column.

My Post WW2 XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne (c)
Curtly Ambrose
Glenn McGrath

From Available Selections XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Malcom Marshall
Shane Warne (c)
Dennis Lillee
Muttiah Muralitharan

archie mac

International Coach
Not sure I entirely agree with the selections available. Graeme Pollock & Greg Chappell over Ponting? Why should someone who only played 20 Tests be selectable but yet Ponting with a similar average and over 100 Tests more is not? Not like Pollock had an extradionary first-class average either. Pollock could've experienced a Mike Hussey fall from grace had he played more Tests for all we know.

Wasim Akram should be in the bowling allrounders over Hadlee and Lindwall and Curtly Ambrose should be atleast be in over Fred Truemen and possibly Dennis Lillee. Jacques Kallis should also be in the batting allrounders column.

My Post WW2 XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne (c)
Curtly Ambrose
Glenn McGrath

From Available Selections XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Malcom Marshall
Shane Warne (c)
Dennis Lillee
Muttiah Muralitharan

Ambrose was a fine bowler but he was no better then either Trueman or Lillee imo

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Lillee or Trueman were better then Ambrose. Ambrose is probably the best pace bowler that I've ever seen - Closely followed by Wasim Akram.

I watched his spell of 7/1 against Australia in Australia on youtube. Unbelivable.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Lower average - yes
Played more matches - so what?
Bowled to better batsman - no
Lower average - Significant
Played more matches - It's harder to maintain an average over more matches
Bowled to better batsman - Trueman had Sobers, Lillee had Viv whilst Ambrose had Tendulkar, Waugh, Border, Ponting

Ambrose is better.

bagapath

International Captain
Lower average - Significant
Played more matches - It's harder to maintain an average over more matches
Bowled to better batsman - Trueman had Sobers, Lillee had Viv whilst Ambrose had Tendulkar, Waugh, Border, Ponting

Ambrose is better.
without getting involved in the rest of the argument (coz i dont have an opinion on trueman vs ambrose vs lillee) i want to remind you of worrell, walcott, weeks, kanhai, simpson (55+ as opener) boycott, lloyd, miandad and gavaskar. discussing them in the same breath as richards, sachin, border and ponting is not illegal. waugh is definitely in that league, but probably below the 3Ws and harvey (only the middle order bats). sobers should be above all of them marginally ahead of even richards.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Lillee or Trueman were better then Ambrose. Ambrose is probably the best pace bowler that I've ever seen - Closely followed by Wasim Akram.

I watched his spell of 7/1 against Australia in Australia on youtube. Unbelivable.
I have no intention to even try. I am happy for you :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar
Hayden
Richards
Lara
Chappell
Sobers
Miller
Gilchrist
Marshall
Warne
Lillee

bagapath

International Captain
if my first XI is

hutton
gavaskar
richards
tendulkar
sobers
gilchrist
imran
hadlee
marshall
warne
murali

then the other XI becomes

greenidge
hayden
pollock
chappell
lara
miller
knott
lindwall
trueman
lillee
laker

cant really say the second team is significantly inferior; in fact it looks like a more entertaining team

honestly any proper combination (2 openers, 1 wk, 4 bowlers, 3 middle order, one all rounder/ batsman) of xi players from this pool of 22 champs is bound to make a fantastic team.

bagapath

International Captain
BTW, I just realized you didnt know this thread is part of a series we have been doing for the past few weeks. the post packer XI and pre packer XI selected by us are being combined right now to make one composite post ww 2 team. the names you have mentioned (ponting, kallis, ambrose) did not make it to the teams of their respective eras. ponting lost to richards, lara and sachin. ambrose and mcgrath lost to hadlee, marshall and imran. read up the older threads if you can. you may enjoy the discussions.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Gavaskar
Hutton
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Khan (c)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne (vc)