• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

Who will qualify from the group?

• Wales

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Fiji

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Georgia

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Portugal

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Molehill

International Captain
I might be wrong, but I reckon that come the World Cup, the established teams will work out ways to grind out the wins and we'll have Wales and Australia going through comfortably enough.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope Wales go through but genuinely want ABA for the other spot. Anyone But Australia. Time to euthanize rugby here. It's the humane thing to do.

Molehill

International Captain
Hope Wales go through but genuinely want ABA for the other spot. Anyone But Australia. Time to euthanize rugby here. It's the humane thing to do.
I'd do the same for Rugby League in England - but then I'm not from an area where anyone plays it or has any interest in it.

Burgey

I'd do the same for Rugby League in England - but then I'm not from an area where anyone plays it or has any interest in it.
That's basically the same as anyone west of Double Bay in Sydney when it comes to Rugby

Burgey

I'm not threatened by it, I just despise Australian rugby and everything it stands for. You don't have to be threatened by something to despise it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not threatened by it, I just despise Australian rugby and everything it stands for. You don't have to be threatened by something to despise it.
Grassroots rugby is actually really good

I’ve been to a couple of Brisbane grade games recently and it’s a good day out - free entry, cheap beer and pies, attacking play

Much better than your average NRL experience

It’s the administration of the professional game that has ****ed the game in this country

Molehill

International Captain
It’s the administration of the professional game that has ****ed the game in this country
You could apply this sentence to both England and Wales too (probably Scotland as well despite their current (and probably temporary) rejuvenation).

social

You could apply this sentence to both England and Wales too (probably Scotland as well despite their current (and probably temporary) rejuvenation).
Difference being that the incompetence of administrators has had a material impact upon the popularity of rugby in Australia whereas it’s thriving elsewhere

Molehill

International Captain
Difference being that the incompetence of administrators has had a material impact upon the popularity of rugby in Australia whereas it’s thriving elsewhere
I don't think rugby is thriving in England. We've had 2 Premiership clubs go bankrupt in the last 12 months (despite salary caps). Twickenham may sell out at stupid prices to the corporate market and well off, but you can't build rugby teams around that kind of demographic (same as you can't build cricket teams out of a Lord's attendance).

ripper868

International Coach
I guess what you think the game stands for, and my experiences of what the game stands for are 2 different things.

We could probably say the same for league, as much of what I see from the NRL admin and it's players is pretty despisable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is the Welsh bloke who got suspended for doping in their squad for the WC?
He announced his test retirement a month or two ago and went off to play second tier French club rugby.

The timing struck one as odd, but there were quite a few Leekists doing the same so I just assumed Gatland was too much of a insufferable pillock to resist the lure of the Euro.

Now though, without being aware of the order of events, it doesn't smell any sweeter than it did.

I don't think rugby is thriving in England. We've had 2 Premiership clubs go bankrupt in the last 12 months (despite salary caps). Twickenham may sell out at stupid prices to the corporate market and well off, but you can't build rugby teams around that kind of demographic (same as you can't build cricket teams out of a Lord's attendance).
Pffft. Cobblers.

It's actually three, isn't it? :ph34r: Irish, Wasps and Worcester?

social

Brief look at the figures & they don’t stack up so no surprise that some are going broke

By way of comparison, UK premiership rugby clubs have roughly the same salary cap as a NRL team but attract 50% lower attendance and its broadcast rights are worth a fraction of the NRL

Literally nobody thinks that a NRL team is a good investment but they’re a gold mine compared to premiership rugby teams

Molehill

International Captain
It's actually three, isn't it? :ph34r: Irish, Wasps and Worcester?
Jeez, had forgotten Irish, kind of my local club too.

Brief look at the figures & they don’t stack up so no surprise that some are going broke

By way of comparison, UK premiership rugby clubs have roughly the same salary cap as a NRL team but attract 50% lower attendance and its broadcast rights are worth a fraction of the NRL

Literally nobody thinks that a NRL team is a good investment but they’re a gold mine compared to premiership rugby teams
I don't think it helped that Premiership and European Rugby signed a TV Rights deal with BT (now TNT). It's one thing having PPV on Sky, but far less viewers on BT. There is the occasional FTA game, but I'm not sure that many are aware of it. My F in L is a passionate rugby loving Welshman, I have to let him know when he can watch games.

I don't think it's helped that French (especially) and Irish clubs are seemingly running to different budgets. They're hoovering up the best foreign players and making the game more attractive to watch by essentially being more successful. Success breeds success.

ripper868

International Coach
Steady half so far, would like to see us go for the tries now instead of the sticks from any future pens, BP will matter.

ripper868

International Coach
The male commentator on itv needs to work out that not every pacific islander in the wallabies is Tupou.

Bad looming injury this for Tate.

ripper868

International Coach
Looked very comfy early, now reverting to mistakes and bit of a lack of continuity, punctuated by the messed up maul attempt at half time.
Not danger zone by any means, but need to be better v Fiji and Wales.