• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piers Morgan bowled Lee no score 3 bruises

the big bambino

International Captain
I would call it an idiotic decision on his behalf if it wasn't for the fact he knew exactly what he was doing and has received a large amount for publicity for it. In terms of his own warped motives, it was actually a pretty genius move. And once glance at his twitter feed shows you he is milking the **** out it.
I agree he exploited it and somehow thinks it worthwhile as if he hasn't got enough of a profile already. Its just a shame that such motives weren't foreseen and the idea squashed...imo.

Loudly clapping hands for wpdavid's post at 157. Ian Healy is an example of the kind of pro who thinks setting up a punter is somehow justice for criticism players receive from the ring. Healy doesn't strike me as the kind to demure so its hard to believe he hasn't complained about a service when he's been a customer. When the punters are paying cricketer's bills then it entitles them to an opinion even after Healy enjoys his vicarious vindictive revenge.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm a bit of a skeptic here. Has Pierce really got a broken rib or is that his own PR exercise? All we have to go on is his own announcement that he has a broken rib. Just how likely is he to have a broken anything? He faced 6 balls. I have watched many tests and have difficulty remembering the last broken thing. Maybe a finger here or there, or a foot bit, but that's about it. What is the frequency of broken bits in cricket? Pierce seems to have kind of 'won the lottery', it seems.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm amazed that this needs pointing out but Test cricket involves professional cricketers, who practice constantly against bowling of that pace and are paid to keep it out.

Piers Morgan is not a professional cricketer.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Being paid does not make your bones less susceptible to breaking when hit. Steve Waugh was paid to not to not get hit but to not get out. He chose to wear a few rather than 'keep them out' and risk losing his wicket. That would be silly if the risk were really so great. Does anyone know how much pressure is needed to break a rib with padding on? Does a ball bowled at 140km exert that kind of pressure?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm a bit of a skeptic here. Has Pierce really got a broken rib or is that his own PR exercise? All we have to go on is his own announcement that he has a broken rib. Just how likely is he to have a broken anything? He faced 6 balls. I have watched many tests and have difficulty remembering the last broken thing. Maybe a finger here or there, or a foot bit, but that's about it. What is the frequency of broken bits in cricket? Pierce seems to have kind of 'won the lottery', it seems.
A very good point - as I understand it in terms of treatment a bruised rib is exactly the same as a fractured one ie leave it and wait till it heals, so there may well be no evidence other than speculation

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Because your assertion seemed to be that in this day and age, facing up to a fast bowler is basically stress-free given modern equipment. Very far from it. I'm definitely not in the camp of 'oh lord think of the children, he could have died' etc but of course he could've been seriously hurt. Langer v Ntini a few years ago, knocked out with a helmet on. Vermuelen and Tudor, hit through the visor. Ribs/lungs/kidneys etc are exposed to a guy bowling 135-140 well over the front crease (unsure whether they were newish balls).

I'm not arguing the fact Lee had to give him a couple, in fact I led that argument initially. But 5...and well over the front crease which makes it a nonsense in itself.

Plus you went on to criticise Warne and say he offers little or no pertinent points or insights, and I think you declared him the worst in the box. IAN HEALY
No. And that wasn't my assertion at all. My assertion was that facing fast bowling in the modern era is reasonably safe because of equipment (not stress-free), that Morgan was in no serious danger etc etc. Which he wasn't. Sure, he might cop a ball in the ribs, wrist, hand, thru the visor, but it's safe in terms of real danger.

And Ian Healy at least laughs at himself. Warne is ****ing awful.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
No. And that wasn't my assertion at all. My assertion was that facing fast bowling in the modern era is reasonably safe because of equipment (not stress-free), that Morgan was in no serious danger etc etc. Which he wasn't. Sure, he might cop a ball in the ribs, wrist, hand, thru the visor, but it's safe in terms of real danger.

And Ian Healy at least laughs at himself. Warne is ****ing awful.
No Healy is the worst.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No Healy is the worst.
Yup, Healy & Brayshaw are the worst of the channel 9 cheer-leading team by a good distance.

From a neutral perspective, Warne & Chappelli are best of the current mob. At least they give credit to the opposition players when they deserve it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That was one of the best things I've ever seen. I guess his courage was that he didn't cry but he was almost sprinting to avoid the ball, which I don't blame him for, but it wasn't exactly Brian Close level of standing there and taking it...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also I know I would be destroyed as badly as Piers Morgan was. But that's why I don't pretend that I can handle such pace. He agreed to it. He knew what was happening. If Lee had gone easy on him, Morgan would have tweeted how spineless England were because even he could handle the heat. Lee did exactly what he should have to disprove what Morgan was saying - by showing him what intimidation by fast bowling looks like and why it's hard (especially for tailenders) to go in and face up. It's not like Lee came to Morgan's backyard game uninvited and started bowling to him. You ask to be bowled at, that's what you're going to get. Hell, I'd never trash talk Lee but if I was ever stupid enough to face up to him, I'd hope he'd bowl like that to me too. One to dissuade me from ever doing something so idiotic again, and secondly so I can actually have a small taste of what it's actually like to play the game I love at the highest level.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yup, Healy & Brayshaw are the worst of the channel 9 cheer-leading team by a good distance.

From a neutral perspective, Warne & Chappelli are best of the current mob. At least they give credit to the opposition players when they deserve it.
Warne? Seriously? My immense dislike for him grows every minute I have to listen to him/watch him. Pathetic sycophant with a painfully fake laugh and extremely poor analysis skills for someone supposedly "one of the great captains we never had..."

If Morgan really has a broken rib then that is absolutely awful. Shame on Brett Lee.
Oh, FFS....

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Morgan knew what he was in for based on the comments he said. I've got no issues with him emulating Johnson's method of attack since that's what Morgan was mouthing off about. If Morgan is brave/daft enough to get in there then good on him, though now he surely must realise why his comments were dumb.

The whole professionals-giving-each-other-a-handy present in that segment though was not on. Amatuers can still comment on the game, frustrating and wrong as they may be.
‏@piersmorgan
Just met Ian Chappell for 1st time. 'Hi, Mr Chappell, I'm Piers Morgan,' I said. 'Nah mate, you're a dickhead,' he replied. Meeting over!
Said the pot to the kettle.

Last edited: