• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cheers :laugh: , in all honesty guys we are all Windie fans and though me and Mr M may disagree on certain issues we both want whats best for our team at the end of the day, it's all just healthy debate to me, it's nothing personal.
I'll admit this much. :) It's great to have other people who take a genuine interest in WI around here. For ages it was just Xavier and me and the occasional bit from aussie and one or two others. Now there are actually people who can and want to talk about WI cricket. Good stuff.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
But Benn had to bowl all day to get his five wicket hauls.

As for Bravo getting 19 runs off 16 balls in an ODI, well Martin Guptill scored a century on his ODI debut (although he was dropped three times), does this make him the next Ponting?
Erm Benn's five wicket haul came when we bowled Austalia out for 150 runs and his four wicket haul against England came when we bowled them out for around 51 runs!!.. "he had to bowl all day"? i don't think so :laugh: , and no it doesn't make Guptill the next Ponting but hasn't Guptill done well for NZ in test cricket?.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'll admit this much. :) It's great to have other people who take a genuine interest in WI around here. For ages it was just Xavier and me and the occasional bit from aussie and one or two others. Now there are actually people who can and want to talk about WI cricket. Good stuff.
Yep when i first signed up and mentioned WI it was a ghost town in here :laugh: , i had to go somewhere else to talk about Carribean cricket, but now it's all good. hopefully there will be more good debates to come.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yep when i first signed up and mentioned WI it was a ghost town in here :laugh: , i had to go somewhere else to talk about Carribean cricket, but now it's all good. hopefully there will be more good debates to come.
That must've been during my barren months, when I was finishing up my degree and doing plentiful work experience. But all is well now. Well, until next week at least.

Mr Mxyzptlk

At the end of the day it's the score that matters!!, and what about the England game? you're very selective with your views aren't you Mr M? :laugh: .
I'll ignore the second part, because I've retired from the argument and I've said it enough times. :p But the first part is just factually wrong. He took his 5 wickets in the second Test. He took 3 wickets when Australia fell for 150.

He went for more than 150 runs personally when he took 5. :p

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Erm Benn's five wicket haul came when we bowled Austalia out for 150 runs and his four wicket haul against England came when we bowled them out for around 51 runs!!.. "he had to bowl all day"? i don't think so :laugh: , and no it doesn't make Guptill the next Ponting but hasn't Guptill done well for NZ in test cricket?.
So you disregard bowler strike rates then?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'll ignore the second part, because I've retired from the argument and I've said it enough times. :p But the first part is just factually wrong. He took his 5 wickets in the second Test. He took 3 wickets when Australia fell for 150.

He went for more than 150 runs personally when he took 5. :p
Yep my bad he got 3 wickets in 11 overs for only 29 runs in the 2nd test, which is actually a decent tally imo, but oh no i forgot he's a "poor bolwer" you know :laugh: , and the England game still stands Mr M :p ,

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yep my bad he got 3 wickets in 11 overs for only 29 runs in the 2nd test, which is actually a decent tally imo, but oh no i forgot he's a "poor bolwer" you know :laugh: , and the England game still stands Mr M :p ,
He can take 3,4,5 wickets every few innings all he likes. If he's still averaging over 40 at the end of the day, he's not Test class. It just highlights how poor he is most of the time, by how bad his overall figures are, despite how good he is on occasion.

Ok NOW I'm done. :)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So you disregard bowler strike rates then?
So when a man takes 5 wickets and puts his team in a good position to win a test everyone says "that's not good enough because his strike rate wasn't brilliant"? nah i doubt it :unsure: .

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He can take 3,4,5 wickets every few innings all he likes. If he's still averaging over 40 at the end of the day, he's not Test class. It just highlights how poor he is most of the time, by how bad his overall figures are, despite how good he is on occasion.

Ok NOW I'm done. :)
The difference between me and you Mr M is i'm focusing on what he's doing NOW rather than dwell on what he done two years ago when he made his debut.