• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of India 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to throw it out there that if Raina kept as well as Pant does he'd comfortably have been a Test standard cricketer. Raina wasn't good enough as a bat alone but when you have two genuine skills and are only 21 years old, "bats like Raina" isn't really an insult.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going to throw it out there that if Raina kept as well as Pant does he'd comfortably have been a Test standard cricketer. Raina wasn't good enough as a bat alone but when you have two genuine skills and are only 21 years old, "bats like Raina" isn't really an insult.
Was about to post this. A keeper batting like Raina is pretty sweet.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did Keemo Paul bowl today? Missed it all because of school unfortunately. Just watching the highlights.

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Problem for Pant is, he's a batsman-keeper. His keeping skills were clearly inadequate in England so that's the problem. If Saha could bat like Pant then that'd be amazing.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
All the negative commentors about the WI need to give it a rest. This is India in india, after all,and no team in world cricket has any chance against india at home. Not least a weak wi team MISSING TWO SENIOR BOWLERS!!! I'd like to see England do well anywhere without Broad or Anderson.

trundler

Problem for Pant is, he's a batsman-keeper. His keeping skills were clearly inadequate in England so that's the problem. If Saha could keep like Pant then that'd be amazing.
I think you mean bat like Pant but that sort of defeats the point of your first comment. I can't think of many keeper bats who were proper, solid test bats bar Gilchrist who too was a bit of a hitter. He's 21 jeez. I do agree based on keeping ability he should be a placeholder for Saha for now. Hopefully he'll come good.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Alas, he didn't. :(
Ok. There are hundreds in India who keep better than Pant. Even Rahul keeps better than Pant imo.

I see the point you're making regarding Pant's (/Raina's) batting being good for a keeper - but he's not an FC-level keeper at the first place.

Pant's keeping is not an asset to the test team; it's a liability.

When you get a terrible fielder in the team you ask 'Does his primary skill compensate for this?' The same question should be asked about Pant. 'Should he be kept in the team in spite of his terrible keeping?'

I'm not even sure if he scored more runs in England than he leaked.

Last edited:

trundler

He's not that bad. He takes some athletic catches though he isn't the cleanest with the soundest technique. Let too many runs through the leg side in England.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Ok. There are hundreds in India who keep better than Pant. Even Rahul keeps better than Pant imo.
Enormous exaggeration imo, his technique sucks - but he has the hand eye coordination to not mess things up too much.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He's not that bad. He takes some athletic catches though he isn't the cleanest with the soundest technique. Let too many runs through the leg side in England.
His keeping technique is filthy - absolutely no movement followed by a last moment jump/stretch - that's all he does. Kamran Akmal can teach him.

vcs

Yeah he must have conceded at least 30 runs in byes down the legside at the Oval. About 20 of those were not really his fault (Bumrah and Ishant's awkward angle), but he didn't look natural at all.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he must have conceded at least 30 runs in byes down the legside at the Oval. About 20 of those were not really his fault (Bumrah and Ishant's awkward angle), but he didn't look natural at all.
I disagree with the view that it's not wicket-keeper's duty to adjust to bowlers' awkward angle. He needs to change his starting position accordingly.