• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
cricinfo at the start of this test said:
"Man, it doesn't matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero." - The hilarious welcome Viv Richards gave Sunil Gavaskar, who dropped himself to No. 4 to escape the fury of the West Indies quicks, only to walk out at 0 for 2 after Malcolm Marshall had removed Gaekwad and Vengsarkar for blobs. It's fair to say things have changed since that day in Chennai, back in 1983. The balance has shifted drastically, this time the Indian batsmen will be the bullies. The closest you will come to seeing a real West Indian quick is in the home broadcaster's studio, where Courtney Walsh, the last of the Mohicans, is one of the panelists. Ian Bishop too, is sadly, confined to the commentary box.

Sharda Ugra likens this series to the meaningless shred of lettuce in a double cheese burger. But, as the diet-conscious will tell you, the lettuce is the most healthy component of the burger, and the Indian side need this series to ensure they are in good health despite the hiding they suffered in England. Here's more in Sid Monga's match preview.
Cricinfo getting egg on their faces always makes my day. All their good work is blatantly plagiarized from the good men on the CW staff. This is the best they can come up with by themselves. Come on Windies!

Flem274*

123/5
Hardly surprising.

It's a TYPICAL 1st test collapse.

It's happened in ALL of india's last 9 series. The last time it didn't happen was in Hamilton 2009.
Yeah, was an attack on cricinfo trying to be the next Channel 9, not an attack on the Indian batsmen.

Have India collapsed in all first tests of a series they play since 2009? I think they've done better than that tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah mate. Unless you succeed in India you can't be called a spinner
Can't remember the last non subcontinental spinner who has tbh. The non subbie nations have it much harder spin wise because when they finally get to play a series where the wickets are more likely to consistently turn, they're bowling to batsmen who smash spinners for fun.

It's just such flawed logic. It's like judging a fast bowler by how well they do at Ah-men-are-bad (how do you spell it?), or a spinner on a New Zealand green top. The spinner is not the main weapon in such a situation, so it is almost irrelevant as long as they don't go at four an over.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Serious question for Indian fans. Are you pleased seeing Yuvraj walk to the crease with the side in trouble or would you have preferred Kohli or Rahane now despite their inexperience in tests?

Personally i'd want Kohli, in form and not so far a proven dud in test cricket. (watch waterboy smash a ton now)

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo getting egg on their faces always makes my day. All their good work is blatantly plagiarized from the good men on the CW staff. This is the best they can come up with by themselves. Come on Windies!
Tbf, it's not the Windies pacers that have done the damage.:p

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, was an attack on cricinfo trying to be the next Channel 9, not an attack on the Indian batsmen.

Have India collapsed in all first tests of a series they play since 2009? I think they've done better than that tbh.
Yes they have.

I think I am going to have to put that list out again....

first test in eng- we all know what happened there...

first test in WI: won by just 50 or so runs after india got a low 1st innings score.

first test in SA: lost by an innings, scored 120 odd in the 1st innings iirc

first test against nz at home: harbhajan helped salvaged a draw after a 2nd innings collapse

first test against aus at home: won by just 1 wicket in the last innings after a collapse!

first test in SL: lost by 10 wickets, collapsed in both innings.

first test against at home: lost by an innings, steyn ran through india in both innings!

first test in Bangl: won by just 100 or so runs after a 1st innings collapse

first test against SL at home: salvaged a draw after poor performance in both the 1st innings (batting and bowling)

I could go on and on........ the list in ENDLESS....

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

It's true.

Ahmedabad 2009 vs SL: Reduced to 32/4 on a complete road, before being rescued by Dravid and Dhoni.

Chittagong 2010: Call Bangladesh's attack "ordinary" in a press conference. Assert that they can't bowl you out. Bowled out for 220 on day 1.

Nagpur 2010 vs SA: Steyn'd. 192/3 to 233 all out.

Mohali 2010 vs Aus: Lower order collapses in the first innings from 382/5 to 405 all out. Top order collapses in the second innings to 124/8.

Ahmedabad 2010 vs NZ: Mart-owend to 15/5.

Centurion 2010: 71/6, then 120 all out.

Kingstown 2011: Down to 85/6 before being rescued by a couple of offspinners.

Lord's 2011: Only one that may not count, but still a heavy loss, including losing their last 5 wickets for 36 in the first innings and 46 in the second.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question for Indian fans. Are you pleased seeing Yuvraj walk to the crease with the side in trouble or would you have preferred Kohli or Rahane now despite their inexperience in tests?

Personally i'd want Kohli, in form and not so far a proven dud in test cricket. (watch waterboy smash a ton now)
Tough one that. Close between Kohli and Yuvraj in such a situation and conditions. Probably give a edge to Yuvraj.

Rahane, i may be slightly little more tense about given his experience, but that's not to say he would do worse.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Cheers centurymaker and Howe for that. I thought they had been a lot more solid than they were during that period.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Similar collapses happened in 2008.
can't remember anything that happened in 2007.

I don't know how india managed to stay No.1 despite all that!!!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Cheers centurymaker and Howe for that. I thought they had been a lot more solid than they were during that period.
they are all over-rated ****s who take time to get into rhythm.

maybe it's because they are getting old...hmmmm :mellow:

Yuvraj to score a ton and fix his spot in the team for the whole summer!! :(

Last edited: