• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed for as Martin Johnson explains...

"No wonder England selected Ryan Sidebottom for this Test. When the chairman of selectors talked about the need to "add variety" to the attack, he wasn't so much talking about Sidebottom being a left-armer, as the fact that he was liable to confuse the West Indian batsmen by aiming the ball at the stumps."
:laugh:

Vic Marks said something similar last week, "He did not look out of place in an England side - except that he was in danger of bowling several maidens."

Linky:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2089214,00.html

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Panesar being decidedly average in County Cricket again, it's a shame WI keep boosting his stats with their utter uselessness.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quality outlook, SP. Totally agree. Panesar couldn't bowl out Boycott's mum. Seriously though, you're wrong.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Panesar being decidedly average in County Cricket again, it's a shame WI keep boosting his stats with their utter uselessness.
He scored 20 off 105 balls though :). Bowling gets worse, batting and fielding gets slightly better, Fletcher lives on in the England team.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If the West Indies go with Bravo at 6 and Ramdin at 7, I think they'd be more inclined to pick Sammy than Edwards as he offers something with the bat as well.
He offers something with the bat but he would add more sameness to the attack. Edwards offers pace. Can't be competitive if you can't get 20 wickets. Not that they will with Edwards in but definitely a better chance with Edwards in unless they drop one of Taylor and Powel as welll.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Saw Sidebottom today in the OD arena. Was a bit meh tbh, wasn't particularly special, Broad was doing more with it (Stuart did manage to bowl 4 wides in one over, but that's not the point):p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He offers something with the bat but he would add more sameness to the attack. Edwards offers pace. Can't be competitive if you can't get 20 wickets. Not that they will with Edwards in but definitely a better chance with Edwards in unless they drop one of Taylor and Powel as welll.
And it's not like the batting can get much worse.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed for as Martin Johnson explains...

"No wonder England selected Ryan Sidebottom for this Test. When the chairman of selectors talked about the need to "add variety" to the attack, he wasn't so much talking about Sidebottom being a left-armer, as the fact that he was liable to confuse the West Indian batsmen by aiming the ball at the stumps."
:laugh:

Vic Marks said something similar last week, "He did not look out of place in an England side - except that he was in danger of bowling several maidens."

Linky:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2089214,00.html
Can usually bank on those two for some sort of cynical comment along those lines.

FBU

International Debutant
Saw Sidebottom today in the OD arena. Was a bit meh tbh, wasn't particularly special, Broad was doing more with it (Stuart did manage to bowl 4 wides in one over, but that's not the point):p

Some county bowlers that look better in ODIs than Sidebottom - (I am sure there are quite a few others, I just picked the first three names I could think of)

166 games 216 wickets at 26.75 econ 4.42 s/r 36.30 - Lewis
209 games 311 wickets at 22.87 econ 4.56 s/r 30.07 - Kirtley
137 games 196 wickets at 25.88 econ 5.13 s/r 30.25 - Ali
137 games 139 wickets at 30.26 econ 4.26 s/r 42.61 - Sidebottom

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some county bowlers that look better in ODIs than Sidebottom - (I am sure there are quite a few others, I just picked the first three names I could think of)

166 games 216 wickets at 26.75 econ 4.42 s/r 36.30 - Lewis
209 games 311 wickets at 22.87 econ 4.56 s/r 30.07 - Kirtley
137 games 196 wickets at 25.88 econ 5.13 s/r 30.25 - Ali
137 games 139 wickets at 30.26 econ 4.26 s/r 42.61 - Sidebottom
Notably, he has the best economy rate of the lot.

adharcric

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Gayle
Ganga
Smith
Samuels
Morton
Bravo
Ramdin
Powell
Taylor
Edwards
Collymore
Have Smith and Powell accomplished anything during this series? You can't drop Smith unless Chanderpaul is fit but Sammy should certainly be ahead of Powell.

Gayle, Ganga, Smith, Samuels, Morton, Bravo, Sammy, Ramdin, Taylor, Edwards, Collymore

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Powell has been their best bowler IMO, just hasn't come up with wickets.
Which really sums up how bad all their other bowlers are going. :p

Agreed though really. Powell has certainly looked the most threatening and the most accurate as well. Dropping players for the sake of it is never a good idea - you should only drop them if you have someone better. I don't think Edwards is better than Powell at this stage ITBT. I'd have probably dropped Taylor as he looks to be carrying injury as well just bowling rubbish in general, but he did well in the tour match (against poor opposition it must be said) so he'll probably keep his place.