• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** VB Series 2006

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its good the Dippenaar is getting runs in Australia, because as a few people on this board have mentioned, he's a very underrated ODI batsman. I understand calls for bringing back Gibbs to the opening position in limited overs, since he has played well there for many years, but Boeta has a tremendous ODI record as well. Plus he is a very good anchor of the innings, easily one of the top 5 anchors in ODI cricket around today. With him getting runs in Australia and often against Australia, his reputation will rise as that is often the case for anyone who performs in Australia (see Bravo, Ramdin, Dravid, Rana, Taibu etc.)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
I honestly can't believe that wasn't given!

Poor Bandara was ripped off.
Not only Bandara , but so was Murali. Rudolph was out early, as was Dipenaar off Bandara but the Umps and in particular Mark Benson had decided quite early on that Yesterday he was definitely going to give things in SA's favour.

While you cannot say SL lost because of that, you have to say all the decisions that could've favoured SA went their way. It started early for SL when Mahela was given out well forward (long way forward) in a decision that could be best described as touch and go.
In most games in the VB series, several LBW decisions that were lot more closer than that were not given for Murali or the Lankans, but on this day they were being given without any hesitation.

Murali got one lucky decision by Peter Parker (of all people:) ) off Dippenaar when it was quite clear on replay that the ball had missed the bat and pad . This after he should've been out a long while earlier to Bandara. (bit of poetic justice !! Bandara deprived , Murali rewarded !:) )
But SL deserve this loss to SA , because after having made a brilliant start , they play poorly to give it all up. The sort of thing that happens when the Team has no direction, the people who should lead and direct from the front are themselves unsure of themselves. Of course I refer to Moody, the skipper Atapattu and the current (pathetic) Vice Captaincy (appointment) of Vaas.
All in all headless buffoons at the top - hence a leadership without a head !! Obviously a recipe for disaster !!

The only positive I feel from all this is that SA are a deserving Team. They have had a tough summer in Australia (particularly with Smith's declaration in the third Test) and they deserve a finals spot ahead of SL on that count alone, having also endured some rough sledging from the stands (which I shall not go into - as some others seem to be going to Town on that in other threads on this forum).

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
33/3from3.3 said:
You mean Bandara right:ph34r:
No he means Chandana !!

He is unlucky allright, having to watch these games on TV in SL , instead of being part of the series.:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith singlehandedly turned that game around , obviously assisted by Pollock and Hall.

What a brilliant tactical move - not to take Power Play and bring himself on.

An absolutely intelligent piece of Captaincy , which I expect will become standard practice by all Captains in the future when some one like Sanath J or Gilly is in full flow for as long as these Stupid Power Plays/Super Sub rules remain (may be forever now !!:@ )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
By next Tuesday, If SA have already qualified for the final (which is a very likely possibility) , SL should give their younger squad members a go and rest the senior squad.

My selection-

Van Dort
Tharanga
Sangakkara
Kapugedera
Jayawardene (Captain)
Dilshan
Arnold
Kulasekera
Ruchira Perera
Fernando
Bandara

Super Sub - Murali or Mubarak

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
33/3from3.3 said:
You mean Bandara right:ph34r:
Haha, owned!

Yes, I meant Bandara, and I still can`t believe how unlucky he was, but at least he finished with two wickets. Huge talent IMO. :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
Haha, owned!

Yes, I meant Bandara, and I still can`t believe how unlucky he was, but at least he finished with two wickets. Huge talent IMO. :)
He is definitely one of the few positives of the VB series for SL along with possibly Kulasekera and Kapugedera if he comes good over the next few ODIs/Tests .

I hope the SL selectors will give Kapugedera a fair run in forthcoming Tests as well, because he deserves it for the sake of the future of SL cricket, at the expense of old rattlers like Arnold. :)

By the way IIRC SL's next cricketing Venture is against Bangladesh - so that should help SL raise a few feeble minnow bashing points on the ICC table and Moody and Atapattu and co can look high and mighty thrashing the weaklings of International Cricket , while some of the poor performers can raise their averages, strike rates etc..:laugh:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kapugedera should be penciled in at Number 7 for both Test and ODIs, for the next six months atleast. Also AFAK the Bangladesh series was postponed till 2007 and our next series should be aganist Pakistan or England.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Brad Hodge omitted for Ponting's return I doubt we'll seem him in the green & gold again after some very disapointing performances. Surely Jaques must get in ahead of him even for a middle order spot.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mister Wright said:
With Brad Hodge omitted for Ponting's return I doubt we'll seem him in the green & gold again after some very disapointing performances. Surely Jaques must get in ahead of him even for a middle order spot.
Ironic that the guy who just hit one of the best test double centuries I've had the pleasure of seeing is being talked about like that! I guess ODI cricket is an entirely different game though

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
alot of people dont like him too.

Lee being rested - i reakon Smith might finally be on for some runs too, should be a good game.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, but he`s good for selection for this game. Apparently just needed the one game to sort it out ;)