• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Waiting for Kippax's skills to get SA captain Raynard van Tonder's 100 up vs Kenya. :D

I see Gerald Coetzee hit the Kenyan opener on the helmet and he had to retire. Just needs to start getting wickets.
https://www.icc-cricket.com/video/593996

Not a great quality video for getting a gauge on the South African seamers, but I guess all of the video from Lincoln's games will be shoddy and taken from ground level like this. I also hate it when the ICC start half their clips with the ball already out of the bowler's hand, which would be an easy fix.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How's Namibia new crop? I really hope they qualify for WCQ because I don't wanna see Oman in WCQ
Louwrens and Loftie-Eaton quite promising. Scored rapid runs on TV in the Africa Cup T20 back in August, Louwrens. New Zealand could tell Christi Viljoen to give up his dreams and go home shortly too.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who's the youngest in the tournament? Was watching highlights when I saw Wilmot from Namibia who's just 15 y 150d old. Poor kid bowled a shocking first over of legbreaks and was taken off for the rest of the game.

Firebreaker

Banned
Louwrens and Loftie-Eaton quite promising. Scored rapid runs on TV in the Africa Cup T20 back in August, Louwrens. New Zealand could tell Christi Viljoen to give up his dreams and go home shortly too.
Namibia have been qualifying for every U19 WC for a long time now but what is the problem with their senior team?

SeamUp

International Coach
Namibia have been qualifying for every U19 WC for a long time now but what is the problem with their senior team?
A lot of the usual stuff like numbers and facilities. Although they do play in our provincial comp, you do wonder why they don't make more of that.

Also a lot of their young players school in SA and go to university here so are they kept in the loop?

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
From what I saw the England side was fairly underwhelming. Bowling looked average. Far cry from last u19 WC when they had Garton, Curran, Mahmood and Warner who all bowled at over 84mph at some point or other, and Crane bowled decent leg spin. Brook and Jacks hit the ball nicely and shoujld make it in the domestic game at the very least - can't say with any certainty about the rest judging on what I saw.

The 2016 England pedigree is looking pretty good. No massive duds in the group it seems. All still at their counties (apart from Ryan Davies who likely will move onto a third county soon). Burnham throwing a way his talent a bit with a drugs ban. And plenty look likely to move onto England honours at some point - Crane (already), Lawrence, SCurran, Garton, Mahmood + others. Really talented group imo.

Firebreaker

Banned
A lot of the usual stuff like numbers and facilities. Although they do play in our provincial comp, you do wonder why they don't make more of that.

Also a lot of their young players school in SA and go to university here so are they kept in the loop?
In last WC they had a medium pacer who bowled brilliantly against SA but now that guy is no way near the Namibian senior team also that fast bowler who was the leading wicket taker in the tournament.Another thing is that teams like UAE(unfortunately) and now Oman thrive in Associate circuit and they have no U19 circuit at all especially Oman because I know about UAE because I played for them in age-group and these teams are heavily dependant on domestic rejects of sub continental teams who are usually good for Associate level.Thats why I don't want Oman to qualify for WCQ.I think ICC should give some kind of support to teams like Namibia,Nepal who have their own homegrown talents and not expats.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think enough has been said about how impressive that Indian u19 team looked and particularly for them the threat of their quick bowlers. Very impressive. Mavi, Porel and Nagarkoti

If you compare it to Australia's (without Green & Evans sure) it looked very small.

SeamUp

International Coach
Always the 2 hour group game involving India broadcast lol

Poor PNG

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

It's a lot easier for them to qualify for the Under 19 World Cup with the way it's set up through the regions. They only have to be better than Kenya and Uganda to qualify (for this tournament they in fact didn't even need to do that because they beat Nepal in the seventh-placed playoff in the previous tournament, but that aside) without having to worry about the likes of the Netherlands, Scotland, Hong Kong, UAE etc as well as they do in senior cricket. Their youth team does compete better than their senior team, but not by the margin that you'd guess merely by looking at how often they qualify for various World Cups.

Aside from that, a fair few of their youth players just don't continue with cricket. They use their cricketing ability to get scholarships to study at university in South Africa or even the UK in some cases, and then end up perusing other careers through that path.

In terms of facilities, they're actually kind of blessed a bit for that compared to other associates and affiliates of similar strength due to their affiliation with CSA. That's definitely not the reason.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's a lot easier for them to qualify for the Under 19 World Cup with the way it's set up through the regions. They only have to be better than Kenya and Uganda to qualify (for this tournament they in fact didn't even need to do that because they beat Nepal in the seventh-placed playoff in the previous tournament, but that aside) without having to worry about the likes of the Netherlands, Scotland, Hong Kong, UAE etc as well as they do in senior cricket. Their youth team does compete better than their senior team, but not by the margin that you'd guess merely by looking at how often they qualify for various World Cups.

Aside from that, a fair few of their youth players just don't continue with cricket. They use their cricketing ability to get scholarships to study at university in South Africa or even the UK in some cases, and then end up perusing other careers through that path.

In terms of facilities, they're actually kind of blessed a bit for that compared to other associates and affiliates of similar strength due to their affiliation with CSA. That's definitely not the reason.
There home facilities though ? Where most of their prep work is ? Suppose they rely a lot on club cricket if you aren't in their provincial team.

Take two guys.

Jan Frylinck (SA schools and SA u19)
Jean Bredenkamp ( SA schools)

With both doing well at junior level they obviously backed themselves to make it in SA so were lost to Namibian cricket for a while. Bredenkamp was playing for Maties and their captain was also Namibian and he looked decent but forgot his name.

So it must be tough to create competition.

Kippax mentioned Loftie-Eaton and Louwrens both schooled at Paul Roos in the Boland and it's good to see them involved from so young but mainly because they didn't have tremendous junior careers in SA I suppose.

Good point on the competition they face being not so challenging besides Kenya.

Disappointingly a country like Zambia didn't carry on the cricketing traditions. They used to be Northern Rhodesia. Think about the players born there like Neal Radford, Phil Edmonds, Henry Olonga , Stephen Bruce, Junior Dala

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There home facilities though ? Where most of their prep work is ? Suppose they rely a lot on club cricket if you aren't in their provincial team.
Yeah but their facilities definitely aren't any worse than the other associates. The question wasn't why they're worse than South Africa, but why they're worse at senior level than a bunch of teams they seem better than at Under 19 level like Hong Kong, UAE etc. Facilities isn't the answer to this question. It's a mix of the qualification structure making it relatively easy for them to qualify in Under 19s as opposed to senior cricket, the pathways being a good young cricketer in Namibia open up to move out of the country, and the fact that some of those other associates don't really put much effort into youth cricket and instead rely a lot on expats and senior structures. I don't think the young players who do stay in Namibia get a rough deal in terms of how much they can develop in comparison to say, players in the UAE, Hong Kong or the Netherlands. For their ranking in world cricket they actually have awesome facilities -- PNG are two spots above them now and their younger players have it much harder on this front. There are other answers to this.

Firebreaker

Banned
Yeah but their facilities definitely aren't any worse than the other associates. The question wasn't why they're worse than South Africa, but why they're worse at senior level than a bunch of teams they seem better than at Under 19 level like Hong Kong, UAE etc. Facilities isn't the answer to this question. It's a mix of the qualification structure making it relatively easy for them to qualify in Under 19s as opposed to senior cricket, the pathways being a good young cricketer in Namibia open up to move out of the country, and the fact that some of those other associates don't really put much effort into youth cricket and instead rely a lot on expats and senior structures. I don't think the young players who do stay in Namibia get a rough deal in terms of how much they can develop in comparison to say, players in the UAE, Hong Kong or the Netherlands. For their ranking in world cricket they actually have awesome facilities -- PNG are two spots above them now and their younger players have it much harder on this front. There are other answers to this.
It seems like a myth tbh.If they had good facilities,They should be able to defeat teams like PNG and HK

SeamUp

International Coach
Was hoping to get up early with a few snacks and watch Saffers v Windies but not too sure about this Tauranga weather.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno what the Kenya bowling is like but Bhula and Rachin have put on 187/0 so far, both nearing centuries.