• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The county which brought us lengthy stints in English domestic cricket for Wasim Akram and Muttiah Muralitharan produces... Daren Powell.

:blink: is about all I can say.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We had him for a while a couple of years back, he actually did ok until the FP trophy final where he was simply horrible.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In other news Warwickshire have signed up Imran Tahir for next season, a very solid acquisition and I wish him all the best.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loye, that well-known number-three, is opening and Rudolph, that quite capable opener who has mostly batted in the middle-order in Tests, is batting in the middle-order.

Apart from that, can't argue. Though I've never thought anything at all of James Tredwell's bowling however effective it was for 2\3 of last season.
I'm not a big fan either, but who would you pick instead?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We had him for a while a couple of years back, he actually did ok until the FP trophy final where he was simply horrible.
Pretty sure that was in the last season of two overseas-players when county cricket was essentially a truly mad free-for-all with essentially no limit on the number of overseas-raised players who played.

Now we've got decent controls again. Only ones that cannot be prevented are those with British passports or EU ones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not a big fan either, but who would you pick instead?
If I had to go for a fingerspinner, he'd probably be the one (I'm doing this totally off-top-of-head) but I'd have several seamers ahead of him - Glen Chapple being the first example who's popped into my head.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
What? When we have precious little batting talent, but Chapple, Mahmood, Smith, Newby, Hogg with the ball...? Daren Powell? Why? Why?

Couldn't we just have had VVS back? Really not seeing the logic here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I still hope we might see Murali back at Lancs someday, now he's set his retirement timetable.

morgieb

Varun Chopara > Warwickshire.
Jon Batty > Gloucestershire.

And WTF with Powell signing with Lancashire? Hopefully for their sake he's as a Kolpak, but I can't see that happening.

FBU

International Debutant
Lancs going down at the end of next season.

What kind of team is this

Horton, Moore, Smith, Chilton, Croft, Sutton, Hogg, Chapple, Mahmood, o/s spinner, Powell

:@

morgieb

Decent opening pair, and if you guys can get Murali back, it might compete good.

Not the best, however.

FBU

International Debutant
Struggling to believe that Daren Powell has been signed by Lancs
'Daren is a strike bowler of international quality' said Watkinson. :blink:
I would have paid the extra £60,000 Worcs wanted and have had Kabir Ali.