• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought it was obvious which Cairns, especially listed at 7... Christopher.

Boult needs to do a little more to surpass Mills & Chatfield this early, although will be inevitable if he can re-capture anything like his WC form. I also considered Chris Pringle for that last spot, an underrated ODI bowler.

slippy888

International Captain
Yeah. I was a huge fan of Astle during his career, but Guptill has to have left him behind now.
The era of bowling was a bit better when astle was playing look at some of the bowlers he play against, Donald, Pollock, Warne, walsh, ambrose, bishop, fanie devillers. franklyn rose, nixon mclean,

Skyliner

International 12th Man

Boult needs to do a little more to surpass Mills & Chatfield this early, although will be inevitable if he can re-capture anything like his WC form. I also considered Chris Pringle for that last spot, an underrated ODI bowler.
Pringle would have been handy in 92, with his clever changes of pace. Inzy might have struggled against him.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Was pretty sure you meant Chris, but there's an argument for Lance Cairns in an ATG lower order because of his strike rate.

Just checked on Boult and saw he's only played 27 games. I was pretty sure he'd played at least 45 or so.

Zinzan

The era of bowling was a bit better when astle was playing look at some of the bowlers he play against, Donald, Pollock, Warne, walsh, ambrose, bishop, fanie devillers. franklyn rose, nixon mclean,
I suppose you have to look at it relatively. Is average 42 @ 85 playing in 2009-15 better than Astle's 34 @ 72 in the 1995-2007 era?

Think Guptill may just sneak it, even relatively speaking.

Zinzan

Edit: I reckon that ODI team would stand up well to any other nation's ATG ODI side apart from WI.
I'd list your all-time Australian, South African, Pakistani, Indian & Sri Lankan sides & then revisit that theory. I think you could be underestimating those sides AT XIs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose you have to look at it relatively. Is average 42 @ 85 playing in 2009-15 better than Astle's 34 @ 72 in the 1995-2007 era?
Yes it definitely is. Astle a great player if he could get through the first 5 overs, but Guptill definitely the more effective ODI player. Astle a better test batsman by miiiiiles though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Was pretty sure you meant Chris, but there's an argument for Lance Cairns in an ATG lower order because of his strike rate.

Just checked on Boult and saw he's only played 27 games. I was pretty sure he'd played at least 45 or so.
Cairns, Lance, would have been a beast in modern ODIs.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Just got home from the airport and seen the scorecard,I must say I actually started laughing..congrats to NZ on yet another mauling..
Don't really know what to say about SL..I don't mind losing BUT I hate losing when we produce **** performances like the last two games..if this is the best we can offer then my only message to our board is send our kids to play as they can't do any worse than this ****..they will get smashed too but at least they would hopefully learn something..I am not taking anything away from NZ just really annoyed at the efforts of my team-again well done NZ...

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Still Astle for me. Smashed some of the greatest ever ODI bowlers, and Gup (as much as I love him) hasn't really done that. Astle also did it over a much longer career.

Gup is an extremely underrated T20 batsman though. World class.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I know Mathews was on a hiding to nothing in that second innings, but how **** was his decision to try use the Seddon Park tactics here? Just utterly fails to understand the difference in conditions, rules and batting mindset. Real evidence of how weak a captain he is.

Zinzan

Welcome back aboard the Guptill train mother ****ers.

Choo choo
Lol, the Gup-train's on the same track it's always been as far as I can see. Crusing along beautifully down the ODI route & stuttering through the test one.

Apart form the blatant haterz, what's new?

Zinzan

Still Astle for me. Smashed some of the greatest ever ODI bowlers, and Gup (as much as I love him) hasn't really done that. Astle also did it over a much longer career.

Gup is an extremely underrated T20 batsman though. World class.
Biggest argument for Astle would be if you were looking at the 6th bowling option. Without him it's Kane to cover things if Cairns gets spanked as the 5th bowler. Cairns was often expensive in ODIs.