• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2014

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How brilliant is it to see a pair of new century makers for Bangladesh even if one is the running joke of their cricket. Hopefully the other lad is going to be a useful addition long term. 9 of the 11 now have a test century which is a bit mad.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
well batted to Rahman and Kayes.I obviously want SL to win BUT i am really pleased to see Bangladesh performing like this and showing what they are capable of..We are really missing Herath and Eranga...Just as i type, we get a wicket but we need three more quick wickets to be in a position to win this game...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From Cricbuzz: "Kayes looks to come down the track and looks to heave it across the line but misses as the ball crashes into middle stump. He pulled a muscle as he came down the pitch and is being helped off the pitch by the physio"

I hope this was actually as hilarious as I'm picturing it in my head :laugh:

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
TBF this Sri Lankan attack besides Lakmal is worse than Bangladeshs
Nup, they batted really badly on the flattest of pitches, even the last game at the venue was a boring draw. Some of the SL batsmen just gifted their wicket away. The Sri Lankan fielding has been quite poor aswell.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nup, they batted really badly on the flattest of pitches, even the last game at the venue was a boring draw. Some of the SL batsmen just gifted their wicket away. The Sri Lankan fielding has been quite poor aswell.
I'm saying this more to insult the quality of the Sri Lankan bowlers than to say Bangladesh have a good attack.

Shakib bowled badly here but he is the best bowler in either team right now with Herath away.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pradeep is a better seamer than Al-Amin IMO, but the spinners are probably about even in this team

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
I do feel a bit for Al Amin. I think he could be a handy bowler in remotely helpful conditions, but unfortunately for him he gets these roads to bowl on on a daily basis.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is about as good as it gets for Bangladesh's batting really, getting the usual guff about how there are 'positive signs' but really it's just a high outlier - the conversion rates are horrendous, two hundreds and they were both ended shortly after by absolutely hideous shots. Likewise Shakib with his 50. Bangladesh manage to combine India's seam bowling talent - across a smaller/poorer population - with Pakistan's batting intelligence.and proclivity for collapsing - with again less raw talent to start off with.

Flat pitch against a truly awful bowling attack.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
awta, an average of 51 from 14 games spread over the last 5 years doesn't lie, cannot believe he got picked.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

The same was said about this guy when he wasn't doing well. But he proved everyone wrong..

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I can understand your frustration with someone who was over-hyped and said to be the next Murali. But like I have mentioned in some other threads, he needs to given a longer rope before we can judge him. Mendis deserved to be dropped from the team and there was a time when he was bowling very badly, but he made a comeback after some impressive domestic performances and just got 1 test(before being dropped again) against Bangladesh on a dead wicket where even Herath failed. Again its a very similar situation, he is getting an opportunity on a very flat pitch with nothing in it for the bowlers. Its true that bowlers have to deal with flat wickets where they can't be that effective, but getting dropped because you failed on a dead wicket is wrong. Same has been done with Senanayake, got axed after just 1 test where even Ajmal bowled 49 wicketless overs in the 2nd innings. Senanayake didn't pick wickets, but you can't give up on him so soon. Spin bowlers need to be handled patiently, they don't become match winners over night, experience is the key for them.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Except Johnson had actually proved in the past that he could be an excellent bowler, apart from 2008 when batsmen couldn't pick him Mendis hasn't ever really looked like a threat at test level. You tell me all the time he needs to be given proper chances and needs patience and time ect, but we can't argue because I don't think he has the attributes a test spinner needs while you obviously do.

The other issue with the Mendis selection was that he really didn't do anything to get selected, granted, he's bowled quite well this time around, but the chance to bowl to Bangladeshi batsmen on a spinning wicket should've gone to someone performing on the domestic circut like Tharindu Kaushal or Suraj Randiv.

And tbf, Mendis is being treated weirdly by the selectors, getting one test here, another here (although in that last Bangladesh one in Galle you mentioned he actually bowled trash - went at over 5 an over) so I too would like a bit of clarity from the selectors, either give him a proper run or get him away from the test set-up, my preference would obviously be the latter.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Well 6 fer for Mendis so chomp on that. Still hold out for the day he can recapture that majic dip then whip through the gate left by the groping batsman.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Mendis takes 6, my argument is irrelevant, ok. BTW, only proper spinners get 'magic' dip

Hoping Sanga and Mahela look to push the game on a little quicker and allow Sri Lanka a good 4 sessions to bowl the Bangladeshi's out

the big bambino

International Captain
Kind of amazed at the sensitivity you display. I'm just happy for Mendis. I hope he gets his mojo back. I think it would be good cricket. I wish these things irrespective of what you think bcos, at his best, he is fascinating to watch.